Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:03 (Ref:1011044)   #26
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still say Minardi (and Jordan for that matter) are better off just hanging in there for a few years. When the car companies get bored - and they will - McLaren will be stuffed, Renault will be sold yet again, Williams have proven with Judd & Mecachrome they can't hack it without a works deal, Honda are not showing that much interest in buying BAR, Toyota always follow Honda, Jaguar ain't getting much out of Ford as it is; Ferrari will fall apart sooner or later (probably after MS retires, but still).
The only teams in a position to cope are those that are not tied to an engine firm.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1011080)   #27
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wish the smaller teams went...and numbers were replaced by the top teams fielding third cars.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1011103)   #28
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know your reasoning, but it does rather create even more of an eggs in baskets situation, say Toyota (for example) pulled out - we would instantly lose 3 cars from the grid.

I think we need to create a commercial atmosphere where the independent teams can do more than just survive, and continue to play the role they have done for many years.

Plenty of F1 talent, including drivers, designers and engineer's got their F1 break in a Jordan or Minardi.

The history books also show that independent teams are more resiliant than manufacturers when it comes to staying in F1.

We need a mix in my opinon.

ST
Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:56 (Ref:1011105)   #29
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rennen
I wish the smaller teams went...and numbers were replaced by the top teams fielding third cars.
No agenda to that wish, then!!
Old 22 Jun 2004, 01:10 (Ref:1011573)   #30
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is everyone talking about Ferrari engines?
Why are they using Ford engines and where is the driver that last gave points to Minardi?That answers that question as love deal.That party is over now hes on the move for next season.
Now look as to which team is pushing a young test driver up the ranks.When considering this remember where the team princple is from.
Join the dots and you will know who will have a seat at Minardi next year and which engine they will use.

The Grumpy1
P.S.Not young Zolt has gotten Minardi a point and they won't have to pay for engines or freight next year hopefully they can develop the chassis to make the car competitive.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 03:15 (Ref:1011591)   #31
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
So what I am getting here is that all Minardi needs is a couple of engines and a little tinkering and whoosh! Right on up the grid they will go!

Someone said earlier here that "all the pieces are in place." At Minardi?? Really? How? They could not even transfer the lessons to be learned from the Arrows chassis or even transfer the most recent Cosworths TO the Arrows chassis. Watching them on the telly as they dart nervously about one thing I am NOT thinking is: "Golly Gee! All PS needs for his cars is a good engine!"

Heck no! I am thinking he needs a good chassis, good aero AND a good engine. Probably a good gaggle of engineers and a good bit of money.

It seems that Minardi strikes some sort of latent masochistic chord where many think that we "need" them on the grid. Why? To prove week in and week out how pathetic you can be and still spend $30 million dollars/pounds/Euros/whatever? So that I can continue to wake up at 6:45 a.m. on a Sunday and pop on the telly to watch them circulate for upwards of half the race distance (I know - Baumgartner won "Survivor - USGP" by being the 8th of 8 cars still running) at speeds of up to 5 seconds a lap slower than everyone else.

Please.

Someone needs to rein in the influence of the manufacturers, change the formula so you can run at Spa, Imola, Monaco etc without all these chicanes and "improved" radii of former corners, and get cost under control.

Spending absurd amounts of money is killing F1, not the lack of a manufacturer engine deal for some rolling chicane cobbled together with parts gleaned at various bankruptcy sales.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 04:23 (Ref:1011615)   #32
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John
Don't you think PS hasn't thought of what you just said.
The fact he now saves a bundle on freight and the engine deal will help.For there sake I hope the cars are better next year but I dont see them fighting with the big 3

The Grumpy1
Old 22 Jun 2004, 04:29 (Ref:1011616)   #33
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
For the life of me I don't know what PS is thinking! I am sure he likes being part of the F1 "Show" but how one could tolerate being completely non-competitive is beyond me!

Maybe he can use the extra $$$ next year effectively but the big teams continue to make big gains that more than negate whatever PS or EJ can muster.

This is why they need to sit down and say: "Why do we bring trees to an F1 race?"

Costs are way out of control and I think soon F1 will hit the "Account Overdrawn" wall - and there will be no SAFER barrier!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1016898)   #34
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know if there is any truth in the story that Bruni`s drive may be under threat, any ideas who PS might have lined up to fill the seat?
Old 26 Jun 2004, 19:43 (Ref:1016908)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bruni has been criticised by Stoddard for his lack of application and effort.

However, I don't think his drive is in danger at this point.

If it were, I'd imagine Bas Leinders will have first option.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1016911)   #36
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Bas is who he has in mind then for gods sake lets hope Paul sticks with Bruni.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 20:03 (Ref:1016919)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran