Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 9 Jun 2003, 18:05 (Ref:626210)   #26
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
UPDATE:

In Saturday's Indy Star, John Barnes of Panther Racing confirmed that they have a "Cosworth Prototype" in their shop and are checking out the mounting connections to drop it into a chassis and will test it within the next two weeks....

It'll be anywhere but Indy, because (barnes' quote) "Indy is way too visible, and we don't want Honda and Toyota people there watching us"

Following the Denver Race, I believe that they have a testing week at Nashville...that is probably where they will run it...but the next 8-9 weeks are full ones for the teams (they will either race or test at tracks where later events will be held)...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Jun 2003, 00:40 (Ref:626632)   #27
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chevy engine is at 645 bhp. I think the IRL should make a rule change to help the bowtie brigade by reducing the Toyota and Honda powerplant to match with the Chevy engine's to 645 bhp.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 16:18 (Ref:627271)   #28
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I respectfully disagree....

That would be a NASCAR solution...

This is supposed to be "Competition," not "Communism".....

Toyota and Honda did their homework and tested, tested, tested...

Toyota is running an engine in races that they originally designed as a qualifying specs engine, but it was so solid on the dyno that they run it all weekend now...TRD did over 30,000 racing miles and 20,000 dyno miles during April and May to develop their engine to where it is right now...

that is why Toyota is getting the wins and the poles...because they are working harder and getting succes from that effort...

Chevy needs to get its act together and get better...and their shortcomings should not be a reason to penalize Toyota and Honda...they will leave the IRL in a "Heartbeat of America" if the IRL would make the change you suggest...

Old 10 Jun 2003, 18:32 (Ref:627409)   #29
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Toyota lists its horsepower at 675 and Honda at about 650-660...

Chevy is in dream land...they list it at 675...and there is no way they're pulling that....

My guess is that Chevy is a minumum of 30 hp down and probably 40 or more down from the other two....
Chevy could very well be pulling 675! But that just means Toyota/Honda are pulling closer to 700hp?
Old 10 Jun 2003, 19:30 (Ref:627467)   #30
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
But the way I understand it, the series is looking at the 650-675 hp benchmark as its standard to keep the speeds fast, but not too fast...

The numbers quoted above for Honda and Toyota are the numbers they have released for their engines....they could be low, but we'll never know for sure....

after all, how many of us have a dyno, or access to one of those engines to test it????

The real issue is that Chevy is at least 30 hp down from the other two...it was painfully evident at Texas...the Hondas and Toyotas just shot by them like they were standing still...

Old 10 Jun 2003, 20:26 (Ref:627541)   #31
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=39164

Tim,

I think the Racefax.com report thread should be referenced here.

As for your claim thsi would be communism for a rule change I think not. Communism would be what NASCAR would do; restrict the successful engines from Honda and Toyota. All must be equal, so punish success.

What Barnhart is contemplating is allowing a submitted design from Cosworth to be badged as a Chevrolet. That would be allowing MORE competition not less.

But what is troubling is the mid-season rules change. I think TRD (California folks) would allow it, but I am not so certain about Honda - which takes its marching orders from the less flexible Tokyo HQ.

This will come down to some political bargaining. Honda had an equally invalid motor, but by signing with Cosworth they rebadged an approved design. So the moral high ground is not occupied by them. Still they must be placated.

It will happen. Bet on a delay of a few races to placate Honda - ugly as it is the politics is legitimate in this case.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 22:17 (Ref:627635)   #32
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I was comenting on Speedemon555's comment about making Honda and Toyota reduce their horsepower so that Chevy could compete with them on equal footing...the post that was displayed above my reply...

I should have made it clear in my reply as to which comments I was responding to....sorry about that sqw2...

Next time I'll clarify what I am commenting on...

In your text you seemed to agree, at least in part, with what I had said....

I agree with virtually all you said concerning the issue however....

Honda would be the one to raise the stink about a mid-season change if anyone would...

Old 10 Jun 2003, 22:29 (Ref:627644)   #33
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
One other note, sqw2....

If you read the threads on this in the IRL and/or the CART forums, you'll see quite a few comments from me on this...

I've even addressed it in the New CART Engine Formulas thread as well, when people were commenting on the whole Ford side of the issue....

I think we see eye-to-eye on this one, so pleas don't judge my implied position on one post....it was just a response to a comment that immediately preceded it...

Thanks!

Old 11 Jun 2003, 17:15 (Ref:628498)   #34
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
Tim,

No bone to pick with you, except the "communism" word. I think you chose that word poorly, as it went counter to your point.

What you were pointing out was a mid-season rule adjustment, which runs counter to the set rules for a period of time. I'm trying to think of the correct analogy of this, but nothing comes to mind.

- Staurt
Old 11 Jun 2003, 17:27 (Ref:628510)   #35
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
ugh misspelled my name (DOH!)

- Stuart
Old 11 Jun 2003, 21:16 (Ref:628907)   #36
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I was commenting more on the "let's make everyone equal, regardless of ambition, hard work, etc....which is in fact a trait of the "C" word I used...I agree, ewith you though... it was a bad choice of words, although competition and free arena for competition to take place is the opposite of the term i used in a sense...if you stretch it...

Either way...I do not feel that Toyota and Honda should have to reduce their power just because Chevy is behind...

That IS a NADCAR solution...

But if the Cosworth gets badged as a Chevy, so be it...I just hope that as many teams can get them as possible...a tough thing to accomplish since Cosworht probably doesn't have more than a couple of prototypes sitting around on the shelves...

Old 12 Jun 2003, 06:18 (Ref:629127)   #37
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by evo
Inncorrect! This isn't a rally forum, but Martin in the new Focus could very well win a few rallys this year. Just FYI...
As a footnote, the new Ford Focus WRC with Markko Martin at the wheel won this past weekend's Acropolis Rally in Greece. But now, back on topic...