Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 12 Aug 2005, 05:15 (Ref:1380375)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Britain's favourite roads

A survey's out about the favourite roads in Britian for a relaxing drive.

Here's the top ten:

B3306 St Just to St Ives, Cornwall
A592 to Ullswater, Lake District
A817 Loch Lomond to Garelochhead, Argyll
A35 Lyndhurst to Christchurch, New Forest
A537 "Cat and Fiddle" road Macclesfield-Buxton, Derbyshire
A169 Pickering-Whitby in North Yorks
A87 Invergarry to Isle of Skye
A4086 (Llanberis Pass) Caernarfon-Capel Curig, Snowdonia
A39 Exmoor coast road
A149 Old Hunstanton-Sheringham, Norfolk
Old 12 Aug 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1380470)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know many of those roads. Some really excellent roads, there.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1380518)   #3
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not sure I'd call the Cat & Fiddle "relaxing" - not on a summer Sunday afternoon at least. It is bloody good fun though!
Old 12 Aug 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1380531)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Especially in the dark. And when it is raining
Old 12 Aug 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1380703)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
hmm... I remember the first time I drove that road... in a fully laden Mercedes Sprinter hire van... much fun indeed
Old 13 Aug 2005, 01:42 (Ref:1381063)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything in Snowdonia is worth the effort...
Old 13 Aug 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1381197)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i found a superb a road through northumberland and the scottish borders a couple of years back, shame that's not on there. magnificent fun, and spectacular scenery.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1381220)   #8
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Not sure I'd call the Cat & Fiddle "relaxing" - not on a summer Sunday afternoon at least. It is bloody good fun though!

Thgought it was massively restricted now in terms of cameras and presence of dibble
Old 14 Aug 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1382030)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anything in Snowdonia is worth the effort...

Agreed - especially on proper tyres
Old 14 Aug 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1382279)   #10
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Last time I drove "Cat&Fiddle" road was on the RAC Rally, on forest tyres, loads of spectator traffic and ordinary traffic, broad daylight. Getting to the Buxton Time Control with only a couple of minutes in hand was a ludicrous schedule that didn't help the public image of the sport.
That list (Sunday Times today?) seems to be just scenic routes. I don't think it translates too well into "drivers' roads".
Old 15 Aug 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1382511)   #11
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj79
Thought it was massively restricted now in terms of cameras and presence of dibble
It's one of the worst roads in the country for biker casualties... mainly because it's a favourite bikers' route but also cos there are some very tricky little bends (partly why it's a favourite route...). There's no fixed cameras up there yet, and there's not a great deal of sense in the Cheshire half having a 50 limit while the Derbyshire half is still 60, but I really don't mind the presence of dibble up there on Sundays if it keeps the bikers on the right side of sensible (and alive).

What I do object to is bike cops spending a few hours on Sunday morning hiding behind a wall and collecting fines from people speeding down a perfectly safe, open stretch of dual carriageway on the way in to Macc, when they should be up on the Cat & Fiddle saving lives. *******s.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1382836)   #12
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeremy Clarkson used to test drive every sporty car at buttercup cross in Yorkshire, or some where that sounds like that.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1382879)   #13
Spiteful
Racer

Belgium
Spiteful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little OT, but the roads around Spa and the Nürburgring are marvellous. All very fast, long, rising and falling sweepers. No wonder they built race circuits there. Not exactly without danger ofcourse. You can drive around the pre 197? Spa gp circuit and see for yourself how insane it was. The road after the banking near Stavelot up to where it joins the modern circuit is very much out of shape tho.
From there you could drive to Eupen, cross the German border on the worst stretch of 90 kph road in the civilised world and continue to the 'ring, first through some twisty mountain roads (especially entertaining in the wet ), then as you near the 'ring endless high-speed roads curving through the hills and forest. All the way from Spa to the eiffel circuit you'll notice an unusual concentration of automotive exotica. Now you've come this far, you MUST buy a ticket and drive around the Nordschleife, you will love it and you will go there again. Try not to let the miles and miles of frustrating Belgian freeway spoil your day... I almost got killed on the way back from my first trip to the 'ring.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1382911)   #14
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiteful
A little OT, but the roads around Spa and the Nürburgring are marvellous. All very fast, long, rising and falling sweepers. No wonder they built race circuits there. Not exactly without danger ofcourse. You can drive around the pre 197? Spa gp circuit and see for yourself how insane it was. The road after the banking near Stavelot up to where it joins the modern circuit is very much out of shape tho.
From there you could drive to Eupen, cross the German border on the worst stretch of 90 kph road in the civilised world and continue to the 'ring, first through some twisty mountain roads (especially entertaining in the wet ), then as you near the 'ring endless high-speed roads curving through the hills and forest. All the way from Spa to the eiffel circuit you'll notice an unusual concentration of automotive exotica. Now you've come this far, you MUST buy a ticket and drive around the Nordschleife, you will love it and you will go there again. Try not to let the miles and miles of frustrating Belgian freeway spoil your day... I almost got killed on the way back from my first trip to the 'ring.

Everyone I know thats done "the lap" has said the same.
Old 17 Aug 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1385118)   #15
whitlock
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancs, uk
whitlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
i found a superb a road through northumberland and the scottish borders a couple of years back, shame that's not on there. magnificent fun, and spectacular scenery.
Is that the A68?

A lovely road, but unfortunatly riddled with speed cameras
Old 18 Aug 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1385777)   #16
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
both of thosescottish ones are far from relaxing.

The cretins that voted those relaxzing are the problem with the british motoring public. strolling along at 40mph with not a clue about the highway code. Obsctructing everyone else who has a place to be while they dawdle along on holiday staring at that nice view. morons
Old 18 Aug 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1385790)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
A6112 from Duns to Coldstream was a pretty good drive, I recall.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1400161)   #18
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My favourite road is the A55.
Reason: I'm either going on my holidays, or going racing to Anglesey.