Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Feb 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1838268)   #1
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC Training day,Whats your thoughts..

that was my 1st ever training day.
The trainers & instructors were brilliant,they went thru the serious stuff,but also added the usual humour that comes with the job.
For me personaly,the morning was a bit drab for me,not that the session was boring,it was due to the fact that ater doing 2o days on track in `06,i`d covered a lot of how things work during that time,a lot of what was done was more of an introduction to motorsport for new marshals.
The afternoon was more of the hands on stuff,Firstly being let loose with a fire extingusher.
this session was short but very informative on the theory and practical side.
we the done a crash senario,very informative again and getting stuck in.
lastly(after more coffee) we went to post 2 to watch the more experience marshals do a senario situation similar to ours,except they had 2 cars speeding past them as they carried out the rescue,except for the 1 marshal that ended up on his ass before even reaching the tarmac.
Instructors didnt stop ploughing out information all day,telling the tales of old.
but thats normal when your on post.
but all in all,a well put together day overall
Old 10 Feb 2007, 23:23 (Ref:1838353)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Blimey! A bit red there matey! Where's me shades?

Training days are always good fun whilst being very informative.
Even when you've been at it for a long while, you'll always come away having learned something new.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 08:41 (Ref:1838487)   #3
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was about to start thread myself but saw this one.

Honestly it was the best training day I have done (and it wasn't my first one either incase before any smart ass comments).
As always the trainers were very good, putting up with all the ribbing they get from us guys who think we know best, and if we don't we will still maintain we do.

Practical Fire Training was good, now got my signatures for my upgrade to incident (or whatever it will be these days) finally. Cheers for giving Dee and I the nice big fire at the end Ken. Also it would good to see you had a touching cloth moment also when that tire blew up on a couple of the other lads. Do those stains wash out??

Radio work blindfolded and being ordered about the paddock was fun but also served to prove a point that radio comms need to be precise and clear.
Going through new CPR was informative and one day could be useful (race track or not) though I severely hope not.

Trevors Flag talk was as always humourous, and to the point. BE CLEAR.

The scenarios were as close as you can get to realistic without crashing cars. Having a some volunteer drivers, race school drivers, a couple of other marshals running interferance was good.
Cars set up in the track, Drivers beating the ****e out of each other, slightly blue language (sheila.......) again realistic from a driver who's crashed, cars screaming past getting closer and close, and of course the lovely Thruxton weather didn't let us down either it rained it's arse off all day.

Thanks to all the Trainers and Drivers who gave up their time, It was good to see so many faces after the winter break and good to see so much new blood too.
looking forward to the season opener at Brands now. Really itchy feet now.

Last edited by danccooke; 11 Feb 2007 at 08:45.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 11:03 (Ref:1838544)   #4
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan would that be the little fire at the end of the trainees fire session.
that was a bit of a handfull if so.
managed to get 3x30 second clips on the digi cam,cant seem to work out how to put them on this site,but if any one wants me to mail them to there own e mail,just drop me a line
personally i was suprised to see so many trainees there,there was a few of us who had already spent the best part of the season at trackside,but there was quite a few more newcomers.
we took a little tour round the rescue vehicles,i think the guy was alan ? the mature gentlemen (old geezer) lol,learnt a lot from him in the 5 - 10 minutes we were there,but i had come across him before at gurston downs and had been told that if he turns up,you got the best pairs of hands to deal with it.
All i hope is that i get to deal with the odd accident or two this year,as in `06 they didnt want to seem to crash near me,or did they just see the very bright orange probans and think..mmmmm trainee i think it would be safer to crash at the next post lol.
once again top marks for the trainers/instructors

Last edited by gachjoel; 11 Feb 2007 at 11:11.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 13:59 (Ref:1838634)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel
For me personaly,the morning was a bit drab for me,not that the session was boring,it was due to the fact that ater doing 2o days on track in `06,i`d covered a lot of how things work during that time,a lot of what was done was more of an introduction to motorsport for new marshals.
I'd suggest that it should have been a very useful session for you, even if it only confirmed that you know everything you need to know & that in your marshalling career to date you've done everything right. No matter how many times you hear the basics, listen - you'll learn something, or be reminded of something you'd forgotten. The day you think you know everything there is to know about marshalling is the day you should give up - you've become dangerous.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 14:26 (Ref:1838645)   #6
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
I'd suggest that it should have been a very useful session for you, even if it only confirmed that you know everything you need to know & that in your marshalling career to date you've done everything right. No matter how many times you hear the basics, listen - you'll learn something, or be reminded of something you'd forgotten. The day you think you know everything there is to know about marshalling is the day you should give up - you've become dangerous.

the part i was refering to was what all the different sectors,like paddock,parc ferme ect,what there role is.
i`m not knocking it as for the people who were new there it was very informative and gave them a better insight in to the running of a race off circuit.
I just personally think that those trainees who have had some experience during the year could have been doing some practical training,whilst the newcomers done there tour.
I might have only been in it one season,but i well know that you will never know everything,as each race will always present you with a different challenge.
The comments were meant as a constructive critism,not a moan or winge.
But all in all it was a good day.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 16:53 (Ref:1838736)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
As were mine!
Old 11 Feb 2007, 17:23 (Ref:1838761)   #8
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
cool
well we got that one ironed out

Old 11 Feb 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1838814)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Just back from Thruxton and what I thought was a very informative weekend. Huge thanks have to go to Darrell for organising the weekend, also to Alan, Trevor, Dale and Martin and all the other guys for their hard work.

This is the first year I have been involved in helping with training and I enjoyed it immensely and if asked, will be back again next year for more ribbing and good humour. Last year was my first Thruxton training day and I said then that it was the best one I had ever been to. This year was great as it had a different slant for me.

The drivers were all from the Caterham Academy and huge thanks to Nick Frost and his merry bunch for their enthusiasm and help. The fight scenarios were a huge success as was having cars racing past at quite high speed.

On behalf of all at BARC (if I may say so) glad you enjoyed the day.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1838821)   #10
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Last year was my first Thruxton training day
No it wasn't old boy, you came to 2004. Are these your marbles?
Old 11 Feb 2007, 18:56 (Ref:1838824)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I did?
Old 11 Feb 2007, 19:04 (Ref:1838835)   #12
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just personally think that those trainees who have had some experience during the year could have been doing some practical training,whilst the newcomers done there tour.
I might have only been in it one season,but i well know that you will never know everything,as each race will always present you with a different challenge.
How much experience did you have? Had you been to last years training day.

Most of the more experienced trainees were put into the incident group as you suggested but it is not always easy to tell just from the availability how much experience you have. Next years availabilities will ask different questions to select the most suitable groups for all.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 19:58 (Ref:1838852)   #13
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
DarrellB.........How much experience did you have? Had you been to last years training day.

Darrel,
didnt go to last years training day, as i started mid season(july),but i still managed to get in 20 days at thruxton,pembrey and gurston down.Even to the point of flagging on F3 and 2 truck meetings.
But on the second truck meeting i gain a lot of experience in the mandatory use of the broom,thanks to steve horner,post 2 @ pembrey.
But the afternoon session was very informative and useful,

Last edited by gachjoel; 11 Feb 2007 at 20:02.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 21:13 (Ref:1838886)   #14
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the part i was refering to was what all the different sectors,like paddock,parc ferme ect,what there role is.
i`m not knocking it as for the people who were new there it was very informative and gave them a better insight in to the running of a race off circuit.
But all in all it was a good day.
I know what you mean - Lady S was on the new marshals course @ Oulton last week, and felt she might have benifited from doing the same one as me - the course upgrade, simply as shes been marshalling for a little while, but overall, comparing notes afterwards, they did cover broadly the same as we did, but with some different stuff thrown in.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 21:34 (Ref:1838901)   #15
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Lord,
from what i seen they day between the groups were similar,but the incident group went that little bit futher in there senario`s on track.
When the groups were split up and we went to a different room,we were asked how many days we spent on track,at this point i thought we might have been moved.
Some people might say,well why didn`t you say something,well quite simple.
A lot of the class were new to marshaling and you dont want to present in front of them.
we are short of marshal of marshals,so a good conduct,esp when your in orange should be displayed to set a good example.
There is a time and place to air your views,that wasn`t the time or place once we had been seperated in to our groups.
All i hope is that when i do the pembrey training day,i`ll get a more hands on training experience
Old 12 Feb 2007, 09:24 (Ref:1839128)   #16
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it was anything like the BARC training day at Mallory I would have been really useful. Even though I did quite a few events on the bank last year the training day has helped build some confidence and reinforce the very good info that fellow marshals gave me last season.

Cant wait until March 11th, first meeting of the season at Mallory as things stand at the moment but that may be brought forward to 24th Feb at Silverstone. If someone could PM me the contact details for Pam at Silverstone I would appreciate it.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 09:25 (Ref:1839129)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
If you Google Silverstone Circuit her details are on the website.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 10:14 (Ref:1839156)   #18
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Lord,
All i hope is that when i do the pembrey training day,i`ll get a more hands on training experience
gachjoel - I hope you voiced your opinion on the feedback forms that Darrell asked you all to complete before you left.

Rosie
Old 12 Feb 2007, 10:28 (Ref:1839170)   #19
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
Stephen.

I have already tried that. When I look at http://www.silverstone.co.uk/html/ct.php which is the Contacts Page there is no mention of marshaling or Pam. This is why I asked. If it is buried somewhere else on the site I apologise but as there is no search function on the website I can not find it.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1839185)   #20
cowchap
Racer

England
sussex
cowchap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.brdc.co.uk/marshalsclub.cfm

Try this Beej
Old 12 Feb 2007, 11:14 (Ref:1839210)   #21
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
Many thanks. Email sent.

Last edited by BeeJ; 12 Feb 2007 at 11:23.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 12:16 (Ref:1839254)   #22
Dave Weston
Racer

Dave Weston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
lastly(after more coffee) we went to post 2 to watch the more experience marshals do a senario situation similar to ours,except they had 2 cars speeding past them as they carried out the rescue,except for the 1 marshal that ended up on his ass before even reaching the tarmac.
I told you that was part of the exercise, honest!!
Old 12 Feb 2007, 12:20 (Ref:1839258)   #23
Dave Weston
Racer

Dave Weston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccooke
Also it would good to see you had a touching cloth moment also when that tire blew up on a couple of the other lads.
Yep, I was also one of those lads who were 'surprised' by the tyre blowing up on the car on fire we were stood right next to!

Apart from these 2 little "incidents" it was a good and informative day.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 14:08 (Ref:1839375)   #24
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
The drivers were all from the Caterham Academy
[cough] Caterham Graduates...
Old 12 Feb 2007, 14:13 (Ref:1839380)   #25
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both my Wife and my cousin who were in different group to me said they had a good time and the best training day they have done also, and Mark has been floating about this game now for a good 13 years or so now. Generally informative and a laugh as well. It's always the hardest part keeping our short little attention spans.