Old 29 Mar 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1564317)   #1
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta to race for Coyne in 2006

Alternative title: "Oh, how the mighty have fallen..."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/50517
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/champcar/auto/22798/

Congratulations to DCR for announcing a driver a full week and a half ahead of the first race.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1564320)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes Yes Yes!!!!! This is awesome. First Jimmy staying now da Matta. I'm glad the final parts of the jigshaw are finally falling into place.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 17:18 (Ref:1564346)   #3
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
Alternative title: "Oh, how the mighty have fallen..."
Exactly what I thought. Well, Servia fell back to a Coyne and fought through - to nick da Matta's seat no less. Also often a good driver in an acknowledged low performing car can wrestle their career back on track with some good performances, by just finishing on the podium...if he did that again in a PKV we'd think less of him.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1564351)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well lets not forget Tagliani suprised us with how well he did last year at Walker / team Australia.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1564382)   #5
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hummm. I wonder was Christianos's victory at portland PKV only one to date? If so I dont see Dale Coyne as that far of a step down, and Oriol did a great job with that ride, and I think we all agreed thats when he convinvced us what he was really made of.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1564458)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A shame for CDM, but hopefully he'll still be able to impress. The problem with Coyne is that it's difficult to be consistant. The odd podium might not be out of the question, but it certainly limits ones ability to be a consistant top 5 or 6 finisher.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1564463)   #7
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news!! I am thrilled for Cristiano - and I really think he'll be able to do a lot with very little. Yeah it's a step down but this is where he wants to be.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 22:02 (Ref:1564548)   #8
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
From F1 to Coyne. No offense, but talk about a career derailed. I, too, hope that he "pulls a Servia" and shows well enough to improve his lot for next season (2007).

I am glad he has a ride but find the notion of his landing with DCR far less than "thrilling."
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1564581)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to have Da Matta back in Champcar, he didnt disgrace himself in F1 and he got a few points finishes but for whatever reason he didnt quite cut the mustard. Will be interesting to see if he can come into champcar this year and run back at the front again.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 23:27 (Ref:1564621)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I presume that Cristiano is not contributing to the ride .....

If so, Dale Coyne has been able to fund a seat, without relying on a pay driver - this is something that pleases me greatly.

Unless the team's other driver is paying a SERIOUS amount of wompum ......
Old 30 Mar 2006, 03:46 (Ref:1564768)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering the funds they have, DCR has not looked too bad the past few years. This may be the lift they need to push farther up the grid.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1564980)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I Hope it works out well for him.

you have to admire Coyne though , he is doing a great job and I think his team is one of the most liked in pitlane
Old 30 Mar 2006, 10:06 (Ref:1565027)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Well yes I guess he didn't know how well he had it in Champ Car at Newman/Haas but who wouldn't turn down an F1 drive? A shame it turned the wrong way but at least he showed he could still have it last year although I don't quite know what happened in the second part of the year but maybe he'll be better now that he's fully adjusted back. I just wish though he was in a third car at Newman/Haas.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1565123)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not the best ride, but it is what you make of it. I am intrigued to see how he will do and I always have been a bit of a Coyne fan.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 30 Mar 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1565237)   #15
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is back... and that's all fine. Da Matta makes the point himself (from Robin Miller on CC):

"I'll admit when Dale first called me I hesitated a little bit but then he called a second time and talked about how we could have a decent season," said da Matta. "I know it's going to be a challenge and I know we probably won't be challenging Newman/Haas, Forsythe and RuSPORT.

"But I think we can race with everyone else."

"Champ Car is the series I've enjoyed the most in my career. The cars are fun to drive and tough to drive and I love the venues. All the other options I had were in cars with roofs and at my age it's too early for that.

"Champ Car is the place I wanted to be."

So let's start racing and see how it worked out...

"But the bottom line is that I'm much better off driving for Dale than a year without driving."
Old 30 Mar 2006, 16:29 (Ref:1565295)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Servia's performances in 2004 might be the benchmark for Cristiano this year, Oriol managed to revitalise his career when many (including myself) were writing him off. da Matta really underperformed with PKV last season and didn't deserve to retain that drive, and he is taking a risk by continuing in the series, but I hope it goes well for he and Dale.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1565355)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
7th fastest in testing so far. Next session coming up in 2 hours.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1565415)   #18
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better Coyne than Rocketsports. I hope he can do as well as Servia.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 02:49 (Ref:1565683)   #19
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66
He is back... and that's all fine. Da Matta makes the point himself (from Robin Miller on CC):

"I'll admit when Dale first called me I hesitated a little bit but then he called a second time and talked about how we could have a decent season," said da Matta. "I know it's going to be a challenge and I know we probably won't be challenging Newman/Haas, Forsythe and RuSPORT.

"But I think we can race with everyone else."

"Champ Car is the series I've enjoyed the most in my career. The cars are fun to drive and tough to drive and I love the venues. All the other options I had were in cars with roofs and at my age it's too early for that.

"Champ Car is the place I wanted to be."

So let's start racing and see how it worked out...

"But the bottom line is that I'm much better off driving for Dale than a year without driving."
You highlighted the best quotes carsten66. It's great to see CDM jumping into a car so that he can race, instead of sulking on the sidelines like so many others would have done!

It will be interesting to be in the paddock this year. The Coyne rigs never attracted many fans lingering in hopes of an autograph, this year will be very different. Way to go Dale!
Old 31 Mar 2006, 03:03 (Ref:1565686)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
For years coyne has been looked at as the minardi of champcar, but I'm not so sure anymore.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 22:50 (Ref:1566548)   #21
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was nice to see that Da Matta was managing to put the DCR-car in the 52. range during the test days...