Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Jun 2003, 17:59 (Ref:641704)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which Series Would You Race Next year -- ALMS or LMES

This is the Monza filed for this weekend:

SR1

Racing for Holland
Lammers/Bosch
Dome S101 - Judd

Racing for Holland
Gabbiani/Ortiz
Dome S101 - Judd

Pescarlo Sport
Boullion/Lagorce
Courage - Peugeot

GLV Racing
Lavaggi/TBA
FerrariJudd

Taurus Andrews/TBA Lola B2K/10B - Judd

RN Motorsports Nielsen/Shimoda
DBA4-03S - Zytek

Automotive Durango
Maddalena/Rugolo
Durango - Judd

Automotive Durango TBA/TBA
Durango - Judd

Promec Engineering
Caffi/Trombetti
Promec PJ119 - Sodemo

R&M Baldi/Mazza
R&M - Judd

Team Ascari
Lupberger/Zwart
Ascari - Judd

Fred Goddard Racing
Goddard/Arnold
Reynard - Nicholson McLaren

SR2

Lucchini Engineering
Peroni/Savoldi
Lucchini SR 2002

SCI
Daniels/Randaccio
Luchinni SR 2002

GP Racing
Collini/Mancini
Lucchini Alfa Romeo

Team Jota
Stack/Hignett
Pilbeam - Nissan

PiR Competition
Bruneau/Rostan
Pilbeam - Peugeot

Villorba Corse
TBA/TBA
Lucchini Alfa

If you look at this grid and add in Audi UK, Team Goh, Chamberlain, RML, CMS, Lister, Noel Dell, Nasamax, and Norma, at a minimum,which are expected to race in the LMES, plus the best GTS and GT cars what a grid we can expect in the LMES next year. (courtesy of KA on another thread)

Also, in an article on the ALMS site, Champion will run ALMS next year, but Audi won't give them a "factory" or a New" car...so they may still run the current chassis....I would expect the usual players in the ALMS Series next year...

So...given the above scenarios, which series would you run next year???

If it were me.....ALMS looks like less teams and less overall competition...and my odd of being in the top 3 in class to get an automatic Le Mans bid would be better over on this side of the pond than in Europe...

Your thoughts????

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 24 Jun 2003, 18:08 (Ref:641719)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Which Series Would You Race Next year -- ALMS or LMES

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt

R&M Baldi/Mazza
R&M - Judd

Team Ascari
Lupberger/Zwart
Ascari - Judd

Fred Goddard Racing

If you look at this grid and add in Audi UK, Team Goh, Chamberlain, RML, CMS, Lister, Noel Dell, Nasamax, and Norma, at a minimum,which are expected to race in the LMES, plus the best GTS and GT cars what a grid we can expect in the LMES next year. (courtesy of KA on another thread)

Also, in an article on the ALMS site, Champion will run ALMS next year, but Audi won't give them a "factory" or a New" car...so they may still run the current chassis....I would expect the usual players in the ALMS Series next year...

So...given the above scenarios, which series would you run next year???

If it were me.....ALMS looks like less teams and less overall competition...and my odd of being in the top 3 in class to get an automatic Le Mans bid would be better over on this side of the pond than in Europe...

Your thoughts????
I think you'll find its courtsy of Jag

BTW I would take Goh out as they are going to the JGTC, with a plan to return to LM, initially with a works GTS (they are hoping for a japanease manufactuer), and later with a Japanease LMP.

And add Taurus Lola.

I think the ALMS will be as strong as ever next year, with even more teams but finally the Euro teams (LMP) will have a top class series to race in.

The likes of RML, Lister, DBA etc. have all stated an interest in the FIA SCC but in the case of RML/Lister have not commited. I think the LMES will attract these teams. I wouldn't be suprised to see some new names entering, as it is ideal for teams who want plenty of track time, and possibly drivers who can pool there budgets for a good seat/campaign.

Like Group C and IMSA GTP, both series attract different teams, in the main, who are only interested in competing in Europe/USA respctively.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 18:15 (Ref:641733)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My apolgies, JAG....I thought it was KA...

I think the ALMS will be strong, but I think there will be less overall competition thee than in the lMES, given the lineups that you've listed....

I'd rather take my chanses over here...especially when a number of the events (look at Atlanta this weekend) would not have the full complement of cars running and would improve your chances...

Old 24 Jun 2003, 18:17 (Ref:641737)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....Taurus is on the list in the Monza field....

Old 24 Jun 2003, 18:52 (Ref:641803)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have to say that the teams will go wherever the Audis aren't if they're looking primarily for those qualifying spots.

Outside of the RfH cars, Pescarolo, and maybe Ascari, none of these cars would be able to compete with the Panoz, let alone the Audis. So the LM invites are not going to entice any teams to come to North America, and as soon as Audi UK joins the fray, there'll be one less invite available for the rest.

Frankly, these races have less to do with the invite via the win, and more to do with racing to prove to themselves and to ACO that they can race (ie to raise their profile with the ACO so that they get consideration for the discretionary invitations). That said, we know just how much the ACO weights that consideration, as we saw how it benefited Taurus this year. Perhaps they'll pay closer attention to the races on their own continent.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 24 Jun 2003, 18:58 (Ref:641813)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
And if Audis are in both????

I'd rather take my chances against the Panoz and its reliability record over the years vs. running against RfH, Ascari and the Courage cars....

My odds would be better atcatching a few podiums over here unless the ALMS has 3 Audis like they did last season

Old 24 Jun 2003, 19:17 (Ref:641824)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Funny you should mention Panoz' reliability. Seems to me that they've had pretty decent success since JML took over and essentially ceased development. Of course, a win by them would be very surprising this year given they don't have the hotshoes of yesteryear, but not entirely out of the question.

Oh, and it'll help if the drivers don't spin too often. The team seems to be making a move in the right direction here...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 24 Jun 2003, 19:21 (Ref:641828)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I would agree that the program has settled into a solid groove since "going private" with two Top Fives out of two races this year...

I just think that t given the lists above vs the entries in a typical ALMS season, that the fields look a little deeper in Europe...and there will be Audis racing in Europe once the Michelins can be run in the LMES series..they arent allowed in FIA are they???

Old 24 Jun 2003, 22:27 (Ref:642054)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
sorry, stupid question time..

LMES?
Old 24 Jun 2003, 22:43 (Ref:642071)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
sorry, stupid question time..

LMES?
ACO 1000K Euro series - Le Mans Endurance Series
Old 25 Jun 2003, 09:57 (Ref:642451)   #11
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
id race over here, then i might have a chance of seeing myself!
Old 25 Jun 2003, 13:24 (Ref:642668)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LMES then, and maybe ALMS where it doesn't clash, and of course, if there's enough money.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 13:51 (Ref:642682)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That would be the key -- money -- and the schedules for each respective series next year....

Personally, I could see how Pirenzo's approach would definitely work the other direction:

An ALMS team that would run Le Mans in mid-June could move their operation down to Monza to race in the 1000 km, provided next year's event at Monza falls on the same weekend that it does this year...
A two-week lag time between events would not be unreasonable, and could be managed quite well...

If (as was suggested in the "LM Tourney Beyond 2004" thread) Monza would be moved to mid-April, I also could see an ALMS team running that date at Monza after competing at Sebring in March, then traveling up to Le Mans for Test Day the first weekend in May....

Based on the four venues listed for next year's LMES, unless Monza would be scheduled in March, I could see teams making the trip from Europe to Sebring (Like Taurus did) to begin their year to get a good solid test under race conditions to prepare for the LMES season....

Also, if the last date for LMES would occur in September, I could see a trip to Petit LM in October to close out the year against solid competition....

Otherwise, a trip to North America between dates just to race over here would be expensive, and with a number of the ALMS races being the 2 hr. 45 min. timed events, I don't know if it would be worth the trip...

Likewise, for an ALMS team to travel for another 1000 km in July, August or September between dates on the ALMS schedule would likewise be expensive, and would not contribute towards your quest for Series points in either series....

From a strict competition standpoint, I do like the idea...but that team better have a fat budget....

Old 25 Jun 2003, 14:25 (Ref:642709)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
If (as was suggested in the "LM Tourney Beyond 2004" thread) Monza would be moved to mid-April, I also could see an ALMS team running that date at Monza after competing at Sebring in March, then traveling up to Le Mans for Test Day the first weekend in May....
Why preserve the crazy 6-week gap between Test Day and The Race? Surely one of the LMES events could occur 3-4 weeks prior to Le Mans, not 8? Or, conversely, the race could occur 5-6 weeks before, and you could move Test Days to 3 or 4 weeks before Le Mans. (Although, in the interest of participation in the race, ACO would be better served with the former scenario than the latter.)

-Bill James
Old 25 Jun 2003, 14:40 (Ref:642724)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
On the surface, I would agree, Paul-Collins...

But look at the past two years, and the events held in ALMS (2002) and FIA-SCC (this past May) for your answers to the "race between Test Day and LM"....

The ALMS race at Sears Point, half a world away, was nuts....teams traveled to California to race one month before LM, then began LM preps, and went back to Europe...ALMS learned a big lesson from that, and made a big point of noting that they did not schedule anything between Test Day & LM this year due to the hardships it placed on the teams...

I know you're not suggesting and ALMS race, but look at the Lautsring race in May for the FIA...

RfH competed due to pressure (according to comments on threads that dealt with this race and the FIA-SCC about 6 weeks or so ago) and Durango ran a car, but Pescarolo was absent, as were other LM competitors....

Granted, those teams were going to learn nothing from running a race on a "Roval" that bears zero resemblance to LM, but there were other factors that kept racers away..

Their focus was Le Mans, and a race in between puts a car that has already been "stickered" by the ACO on Test Day in jeopardy of damage, etc., that would greatly set back their LM effort...

I just don't know if teams would run an LMES event between Test Day and the race itself...

If I were the ACO, I would get serious input form the many regular teams involved in LM before considering such a move...

Old 25 Jun 2003, 14:45 (Ref:642733)   #16
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Okay Tim, here's a better idea...

Remember back in '00, when the ALMS teams did an "european swing" around LeMans, with the Silverstone race before and the Nurburgring race after. It could be (and I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to) done the same way for the two 1000Km races for '04. With the Sebring 12hrs. being the official start of the international sportscar calendar (especially since the Daytona has become a "closed shop", with Grand Am's rules involved) and the Petit LeMans being the present end, these races can be the best way for entrants from both series to race each other, outside of LeMans.

As for a season ender, the previous race at Adelaide ("Race of a Thousand Years") is a great concept. My idea is this; how about the return of an old favorite, the Buenos Aries 1000Km.
South America is perfect that time of year, and who knows better to put on a party than Argentina, or Brazil if you prefer. Think about it...
Old 25 Jun 2003, 15:39 (Ref:642767)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Question for Veeten:

Do you emember the dates for the Silverstone & Nurburgring events in 2000???

I'd be interested in that, because I do think that something following LM within two weeks (like Monza is this year) would definitely work, as I said earlier....substitute a different venue from LMES into that last weekend of June and it still is great...the date and the proximity are the keys to this....

If teams would be interested in racing a "Before LM Event" at one of the four circuits that will be in the LMES that falls between Test Day, I Say "Go For It"...those three races would be superb races with the best in the world competing against one another....

But Team input would be the Key....and they would have to say "Yes...we will run those two events, or would love to run those three events" before I'd do it....

Otherwise, you're wasting one of the four LMES dates

Old 25 Jun 2003, 16:10 (Ref:642788)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
On South America:

Great Idea!!!

On either end of it (Spring in October in S. America or Fall in March down there)....

How would the travel work, though?

For the LMES events before & after Le Mans, you can truck your team to the other races, thus travel is cheaper for everyone...

Off the North American continent, everybody has to be shipped by air or sea....then come back north for PLM or Sebring...not as convenient and certainly more costly for the teams....

That's where the "Official Transporter" sponsor has to be gotten for both series....

Old 25 Jun 2003, 16:23 (Ref:642800)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
The ALMS race at Sears Point, half a world away, was nuts....teams traveled to California to race one month before LM, then began LM preps, and went back to Europe...ALMS learned a big lesson from that, and made a big point of noting that they did not schedule anything between Test Day & LM this year due to the hardships it placed on the teams...
Absolutely true that it's crazy to be flying back and forth over and over. That's why the LMES is the topic of discussion, not the ALMS.

Quote:
I know you're not suggesting and ALMS race, but look at the Lautsring race in May for the FIA...

RfH competed due to pressure (according to comments on threads that dealt with this race and the FIA-SCC about 6 weeks or so ago) and Durango ran a car, but Pescarolo was absent, as were other LM competitors....

Granted, those teams were going to learn nothing from running a race on a "Roval" that bears zero resemblance to LM, but there were other factors that kept racers away..
The factors that kept the racers away also would have stopped them from running at all - ie cash. Pescarolo, note, only has one car entered at Monza.

Look at the Silverstone results from May 13 2000 - 50 cars!:
Code:
BMW V12 LMR          002/99 BMW Motorsport               
Panoz LMP-1 Roadster S      Panoz Motor Sports           
Audi R8R                306 Audi Sport North America     
Audi R8R                308 Audi Sport North America     
Cadillac Northstar LMP  005 Motorola-DAMS                
Courage C52 Peugeot       3 Pescarolo Sport              
Dodge Viper GTS-R       C31 Viper Team Oreca             
Dodge Viper GTS-R       C30 Viper Team Oreca             
Courage C60 Judd          1 SMG                          
Porsche 911 Turbo   0480036 Freisinger Motorsport        
Lola B2K/10 Rafanelli  HU01 Team Rafanelli SRL           
Porsche 911 GT3-R    692088 Dick Barbour Racing          
Porsche 911 Turbo    393076 Konrad Motorsport            
Porsche 911 GT3-R    692002 Alex Job Racing              
Porsche 911 GT3-R    692110 MCR/Aspen Knolls             
Porsche 911 Turbo           BVB Motorsport               
Porsche 911 GT3-R    692067 Dick Barbour Racing          
Chrysler Viper GTS-R    C23 Chamberlain Motorsport       
Porsche 911 GT3-R    692062 Alex Job Racing              
Porsche 911 Turbo   1463892 Roock Motorsport NA          
BMW E46 M3           00-001 Prototype Technology Group   
Chrysler Viper GTS-R    C16 Chamberlain Motorsport       
Porsche 911 GT3-R    692075 Skea Racing International    
Porsche 911 GT3-R    692077 Team LR Organisation         
Lola B98/10 K2000 Ford   07 Kremer Racing                
Porsche 911 GT3-R    692001 RWS Motorsport               
Porsche 911 GT3-R    692071 Seikel Motorsport            
Porsche 911 GT3-R    692095 Kyser Racing

DNF

Panoz LMP-1 Roadster S      Panoz Motor Sports           
BMW E46 M3              001 Prototype Technology Group   
Porsche 911 GT3-R    692103 Skea Racing International    
BMW V12 LMR          003/99 BMW Motorsport               
Cadillac Northstar LMP  002 Motorola-DAMS                
Reynard 2KQ Judd        004 Johansson Matthews Racing    
Riley & Scott Mk III Ju 012 Pole Team                    

DNS

Ascari A410 Judd        001 Team Ascari                   

DNP

Porsche 911 Turbo           Roock Motorsport NA                  

Entry only

BMW V12 LM           001/98 Thomas Bscher Promotion              
Lola B2K/10 Ford       HU04 Konrad Motorsport                    
Lola B2K/10 Porsche    HU03 Champion Racing

Last edited by paul-collins; 25 Jun 2003 at 16:23.

-Bill James
Old 25 Jun 2003, 16:50 (Ref:642819)   #20
JAG
Veteran

England
The Silverstone race in ALMS 2000 was at the end of May, Silverstones traditional Le Mans 'test' race. The LMES organisers are talking about a late May date again at Silverstone.

I think there is great demand for a pre LM race in the UK (Silvestone), as the distance to LM in comparatively small with enough time to prepare for LM.

Afterall most teams are busy testing for LM in May anyway. Better to get coverage for yours sponsors in a big pre LM race than test in private with similar costs to the team.

The added benefit of the Silverstone race is that a large number of LM bound teams are UK based, plus you would attract a lot of British GT and FIA GT runners (particulalry for a 1000k endurance race which is completly different froom BGT and FIA GT 'sprint' races). Many of these teams are also UK or French based meaning little travel costs.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 17:50 (Ref:642877)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Your case is an excellent one...both Paul-Collins and JAG...and the facts back you up....

I'd be all for it....and JAG's added point about the thousands of British fans getting a double treat...Silverstone in May and LM in June....makes the success of this event an even better bet...

A Post-Le Mans LMES event in late June at one of the other three courses would probably keep the teams from ALMS there as well...if they could handle the budget....and I totally agree that the transport costs would not be a big factor since they would probably truck their teams to the next race....

I like this whole concept a lot!!!!

Thanks for sharing this with us!!!

Old 25 Jun 2003, 18:56 (Ref:642962)   #22
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmmmm... everybody's doin' the math... and likes what they see.

Looks like a bonanza for both the teams and sponsors, and with TV coverage(both in europe and north america) it should be a big hit with sportscar fans.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 19:13 (Ref:642973)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Now all I have to do is either star making my vacation plans for an extended visit to Europe now, or start lobbying SpeedChannel very heavily to broadcast these races in some way, shape or form here in the US....

I like the first option better....between Silverstone and LM, I can go to Scotland to chase some golf balls or shoot at some birds while I'm over there....

Old 25 Jun 2003, 19:20 (Ref:642981)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
To Veeten:

How far away from you is Virginia International Raceway???

Or for that matter, how far is it from various large metropolitan centers on the mid-Atlantic coast????

Why???

I think that the "Full Course" at VIR (as well as Road America) would be an excellent mid-season venue for a big ALMS endurance race....mid-summer event....maybe either around the July 4th holiday, late July, or even closer to Labor day if the post-Le Mans 1000 km in late June would be booked at Nurburgring....

Your thoughts?

(sorry that this is off-subject, guys, but he is from that region...thought I would ask)

Old 25 Jun 2003, 19:26 (Ref:642988)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I think the majority of European teams (Pescarolo, RfH, DBA, Durango) will compete in LMES and American teams in ALMS.