Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2002, 16:35 (Ref:230031)   #1
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkinen...What's he thinking right now?

In this article... http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...ID=86300&FS=F1
...Murray Walker suggests that Hakkinen won't be back...mostly because Hakkinen would somehow be content with what he's accomplished...and be happy living with his wife and kid.

But surely he must look around right now and think "why the hell am i not out there...i was a 2 time WDC?" He had a bad year last year, but his motivation hasn't always been the strongest. Of course when the chance was there to step up...he took his driving to another level. Something most of these drivers will never be capable of.

Theres little doubt i think that he would beat DC or Kimi this year if he was still driving for Mac so i'm guessing he'll be back next year...probably replacing any underperforming Mac driver.

Last edited by drexel; 7 Mar 2002 at 16:36.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 16:55 (Ref:230041)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He won't be back. People keep citing the comebacks of Prost & Lauda as examples - but they were in a different era when most of the drivers tended to be older, teams didn't take on many young guns and having experience was essential.

Ron Dennis took Lauda back because he was on the verge of losing Marlboro cash after a couple of lacklustre years. Lauda negotiated a mega deal (at that time) which I think Ron Dennis allegedly still winces at today - paricularly as Lauda stated at the time that he was paid $1 for his driving and the remainder for his name!

Why would MH come back? If this season turns out to be another Ferrari/MS whitewash and McLaren end the season as say the third best team - what's the point of returning to face that uphill struggle.

He's been there and done that and unlike Schumacher, IMO he doesn't have that unswerving motivation and dedication to F1 or Racing. If he wanted to race for the sake/love of racing he could have done DTM with Merc, for a lot more fun and a lot less pressure.

He won't step into a racing car again.IMO
Old 7 Mar 2002, 17:01 (Ref:230046)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Mclaren get whupped he won't want to come back, if they win he won't be needed.

Perhaps if they do well and one of the current two drivers underperforms (DC?) then there might be a vacancy for an experienced winner... But would he even be fit enough?
Old 7 Mar 2002, 17:04 (Ref:230050)   #4
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that if the McLaren is 2 seconds faster than the rest at the end of this season Hakkinen would be a fool not to take another free ride to the title. I would do it....LOL
Old 7 Mar 2002, 17:21 (Ref:230057)   #5
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think that if the McLaren is 2 seconds faster than the rest at the end of this season Hakkinen would be a fool not to take another free ride to the title. I would do it....LOL
Exactly.
I'm sure Erja and his child are a barrel of laughs at home...but a chance at a 3rd WDC...That's plenty motivation...and fitness isn't much of a problem, i think it's overrated.
eg. Montoya uses strength to race, not his marathon running skills.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 22:20 (Ref:230316)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We Hakk fans know that he won't be back. What's the point? A chance at another world title? The glory of winning? Wheel to wheel dicing with TGF and JPM?

He's past that. He's got a wife and kid now, no hassles and millions in the bank. As you could see last year, he had next to no motivation to actually be out there so why think the situation has changed.

Plus, with DC and Raikkonen, plus Wurz and Heidfeld in the wings, why pay Hakkinen millions when Wurz and Heidfeld would come cheap!!
Old 7 Mar 2002, 22:34 (Ref:230357)   #7
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry - Im just trying to get over the sight of Wurz in a race seat at Mclaren. Yeah, and pigs fly!

Going back to Hakkinen, I think its too early to say. I think if Mika comes back, he would not have lost the speed. Its just a matter of him deciding whether he wants it or not. People like Schumacher live for this sport. Hakkinen on the other hand is a different personality.

On a personal note, Id love to see him back. I think F1 needs people like Mika Hakkinen - who for all his speed and success - is still a great bloke. And if he does come back, and Mclaren provide him with a decent car - then he'll easily go back to racing wheel to wheel with Michael Schumacher.

His move on Schumacher at Spa is still one of the most exciting moves I can remember - probably up there with Schumacher and Alesi in Germany.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 23:14 (Ref:230433)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's Hakkinen thinking right now?

"Oh Hugo! How can something so small and innocent make something so disgusting!?"
Old 8 Mar 2002, 04:34 (Ref:230591)   #9
Y! da Man!
Rookie

Y! da Man! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkinen has to come back....he has to win that WDC again..
but its up to his motivation...
Old 8 Mar 2002, 10:22 (Ref:230728)   #10
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my latest information Mika is monitoring the 2002 season far more closely than he's letting onto anybody. He's very encouraged by the latest McLaren and he's in touch with people at the team on a very regular basis.

I don't think he knows yet whether or not he wants to return in a racing capacity, but I just have this gut feeling that we haven't seen the last of Mika yet
Old 8 Mar 2002, 12:23 (Ref:230777)   #11
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that I want to double-post or anything but courtesy of jordangp.com - I found this snippet of information:

"TV commentators are used to being criticised by their viewers, but the Finnish TV boys in Melbourne were a bit surprised to be picked up on some points they had apparently missed during qualifying. The irate caller made several valid comments and obviously knew his stuff. His name? Mika Hakkinen!"

It transpires Mika was most put out by the Finnish digital feed and spent quite a bit of time during the race making calls on his cellular phone direct to the booth to put them right.

He was also pretty good at race predictions: prior to the race, he predicted a win for Michael Schumacher and Raikkonen would finish 3rd. He got it slightly wrong when he predicted that Barrichello would finish second but two out of three ain't bad is it?

Now Mika, what are the lottery numbers...
Old 8 Mar 2002, 13:40 (Ref:230840)   #12
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing

very smart comment about the "free ride to the title"...................NOT!!!!
Old 8 Mar 2002, 13:45 (Ref:230846)   #13
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does Hakkinen thinks right now? Oh My God, Monty was right once gone, Kimi or David will never let me back at my seat.
Old 8 Mar 2002, 17:57 (Ref:230987)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is Mika thinking right now? "Why didn't anybody tell me about the Terrible Twos? And what was I thinking letting Erja go and take a job? I'd much rather face Michael at the first corner in Adelaide than try to get Hugo to let me put on his shoes so we can go to the store!"
Old 8 Mar 2002, 18:12 (Ref:231003)   #15
JR27
Racer

JR27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked that Liz......and then there is the problem of "nooks & cranies" one faces when attempting to change the little nippers diaper.....I had forgotten all about that until my grandson visited last week.....now he does the real meaning of it "handles like $#!*"....
Old 8 Mar 2002, 20:18 (Ref:231156)   #16
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
if the Ferrari's become very dominant this year it could do one of 2 things - confirm that he should not come back as it would take him the best part if a season to get back up to the WC speed - or it could spur him back to challenge TGF's new domonance. i think Ralfie and Rubens' crash did nothing to spur him back though

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 9 Mar 2002, 00:34 (Ref:231321)   #17
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika need only look ahead to the next change of nappies.

2 WDCs? I could see him being motivated if he didn't have any, but why does he want any more? He's most certainly not got it in him to beat any records.