Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Jun 2022, 12:50 (Ref:4112383)   #151
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGasfuss View Post
I would not think, that it might chanve something, if you get a point for being last.
But maybe i would say, that even saved tyres from last race cannot be used in next next race/session. So no one would start to save tyres through DNF.
I think combination of both ideas would be the best. Points system change is necessary IMO, why not going for such where everyone gets points? Sometimes even a few can decide who wins the title.
But your idea is also something that DTM should definitely consider. A driver pulling out because they have nothing to fight for would be an equivalent of a football team leaving a pitch after 80 mins when losing 0-3.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 14:58 (Ref:4112412)   #152
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly I think that the FIA point system is one of few good things FIA made in last decade. Other point system like IMSA or the old one used in VLN are quite mental
Old 1 Jun 2022, 16:37 (Ref:4112435)   #153
GregoryDG
Racer

Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
GregoryDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I'd go even further and adopt something like 50-44-40-38-36-34-32-30-28-26-24 and then 23-22-20-19...
I can understand, but this gives a huge disadvantage in case of a DNF...

Imagine one car winning two races (= 100 points) and then crashing in the third one (= still 100 points), compared to a car finishing 10th in each of these three races (= 78). Doesn't really make sense to me.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 20:59 (Ref:4112476)   #154
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryDG View Post
I can understand, but this gives a huge disadvantage in case of a DNF...

Imagine one car winning two races (= 100 points) and then crashing in the third one (= still 100 points), compared to a car finishing 10th in each of these three races (= 78). Doesn't really make sense to me.

guess this is the reason why IMSA gives points also to dnf cars, making things even more chaotic...
Old 1 Jun 2022, 21:40 (Ref:4112479)   #155
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's true what you guys say but in Supercars such a system works very well.
But, if this is too much, at least a BTCC-style system awarding Top 15 finishers would be better than the current one.
The 'FIA' one is okay but when there are almost 30 drivers in a very competitive series, a wider point-paying window would create a situation where even smaller teams have a feeling they can fight at least for some points. Also, in a field of 30 drivers, 12th place should mean more than 22nd. Now it doesn't matter if you finish 12th or 22nd because you still leave the race empty-handed. This also increases chances of drivers pulling out because a 15-th place finish wouldn't matter anything.

However, if rules strictly connected to tyre usage would eliminate the problem of retiring, I'd still be happy even without altering the points system.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 21:56 (Ref:4112481)   #156
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
It's true what you guys say but in Supercars such a system works very well.
But, if this is too much, at least a BTCC-style system awarding Top 15 finishers would be better than the current one.
The 'FIA' one is okay but when there are almost 30 drivers in a very competitive series, a wider point-paying window would create a situation where even smaller teams have a feeling they can fight at least for some points. Also, in a field of 30 drivers, 12th place should mean more than 22nd. Now it doesn't matter if you finish 12th or 22nd because you still leave the race empty-handed. This also increases chances of drivers pulling out because a 15-th place finish wouldn't matter anything.

However, if rules strictly connected to tyre usage would eliminate the problem of retiring, I'd still be happy even without altering the points system.

oh well, that would be easy to fix... do you retire because you know you're not going to score points or in general for no provable technical related reasons? -5 points and think it twice next time.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 09:17 (Ref:4112524)   #157
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
oh well, that would be easy to fix... do you retire because you know you're not going to score points or in general for no provable technical related reasons? -5 points and think it twice next time.
True but team orders have been forbidden for years in some championships and still there were ways to move around it. Similarly with this, who knows, some teams could also find ways to prove the reason behind retiring. I imagine this could be difficult to implement in practice.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 20:20 (Ref:4112592)   #158
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
at least a BTCC-style system awarding Top 15 finishers would be better than the current one
BTCC has a 20-17-15-13 points scale, which is too flat in my opinion. I like F1's 25-18-15-12.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 20:43 (Ref:4112600)   #159
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
True but team orders have been forbidden for years in some championships and still there were ways to move around it. Similarly with this, who knows, some teams could also find ways to prove the reason behind retiring. I imagine this could be difficult to implement in practice.

Don't know... at example last year fast sophia retired a couple of times when she was 2-3s off the pace and I recall that during an interview after she retired at zolder race, one of her engineers was probably lying according to the hide the pain expression on his face telling that brake pedal got too long (whatever this may actually mean lol)... so if you retire and you can't prove the technical reason of your retirement, you should be penalized.
That's just my idea to fix the retirements issue of course, but you know...
I always found dtm races very boring since... 2015?? so it's not things will change for real anyhow.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 22:12 (Ref:4112603)   #160
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Don't know... at example last year fast sophia retired a couple of times when she was 2-3s off the pace and I recall that during an interview after she retired at zolder race, one of her engineers was probably lying according to the hide the pain expression on his face telling that brake pedal got too long (whatever this may actually mean lol)... so if you retire and you can't prove the technical reason of your retirement, you should be penalized.
I always found dtm races very boring since... 2015?? so it's not things will change for real anyhow.
Well, yes, depending how it could actually be checked and justified. In theory it sounds good, no doubt about that, I'm just concerned about execution of it in practice. Probably won't happen anyway
Old 2 Jun 2022, 22:15 (Ref:4112604)   #161
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
BTCC has a 20-17-15-13 points scale, which is too flat in my opinion. I like F1's 25-18-15-12.
True it is a bit flat and true, the FIA one is alright but for 30 cars that are currently in the DTM, the latter is perhaps too narrow. On the other hand, DTM doesn't have stuff like TBLs in BTCC or REC (whatever it is called now) in Supercars so the grid is less stable I think. Would seem pointless if it's 30 cars now and a new system introduced and then next year it's 22-24 cars and debate starts again whether the old system should be back.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 19:10 (Ref:4112855)   #162
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
True it is a bit flat and true, the FIA one is alright but for 30 cars that are currently in the DTM, the latter is perhaps too narrow. On the other hand, DTM doesn't have stuff like TBLs in BTCC or REC (whatever it is called now) in Supercars so the grid is less stable I think. Would seem pointless if it's 30 cars now and a new system introduced and then next year it's 22-24 cars and debate starts again whether the old system should be back.
Simple solution in theory would be to say if we get 20-23 full season entries we use points system A, 24-26 entries we use points system B, 27-30 entires we use point system C.

And each variant is scaled to accommodate that number of entries

Not that they would ever go that far into adopting something like that
Old 5 Jun 2022, 22:12 (Ref:4113096)   #163
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Simple solution in theory would be to say if we get 20-23 full season entries we use points system A, 24-26 entries we use points system B, 27-30 entires we use point system C.

And each variant is scaled to accommodate that number of entries

Not that they would ever go that far into adopting something like that
Yes, don't think they could. That's why I suppose the current one will stay. At the end of the day in the old times there were lots of cars entered and also just top 10 was awarded with points.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 22:13 (Ref:4113097)   #164
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I doubt, that this is checkable from organisers. In the end teams could "fake" a problem within electronics. And how long can organisers check these things with 30 cars around????

EDIT: BTW, Timo Glock makes a guest start at next race in Imola, specially for anniversary of BMW M (50 years). He will race a BMW M4 GT3 in iconic traditional BMW M livery, his team is the Ceccato Team from Italien GT3, with team boss/manager Roberto Ravaglia.

Hope they will have some more surprises for this anniversary on the Norisring race in Nurenberg...
Old 6 Jun 2022, 14:08 (Ref:4113223)   #165
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGasfuss View Post
I doubt, that this is checkable from organisers. In the end teams could "fake" a problem within electronics. And how long can organisers check these things with 30 cars around????

EDIT: BTW, Timo Glock makes a guest start at next race in Imola, specially for anniversary of BMW M (50 years). He will race a BMW M4 GT3 in iconic traditional BMW M livery, his team is the Ceccato Team from Italien GT3, with team boss/manager Roberto Ravaglia.

Hope they will have some more surprises for this anniversary on the Norisring race in Nurenberg...
I have the same concerns regarding faking problems.

As for Glock, will be nice to see him back. If I remember correctly, Ceccato tried to enter the DTM for this season so who knows, maybe circumstances (mostly the financial ones I imagine) will allow them to have a full campaign next year.

Btw I wish the guest drivers could earn points in their guest starts. Would make it more interesting.
Old 6 Jun 2022, 21:58 (Ref:4113326)   #166
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Did the Cecatto outfit evolve from ROAL which wasalso run by Ravaglia?
Old 7 Jun 2022, 07:03 (Ref:4113368)   #167
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Did the Cecatto outfit evolve from ROAL which wasalso run by Ravaglia?
Yes, they were bought out, so Ravaglia is no longer the owner, but still running things.
Old 7 Jun 2022, 16:10 (Ref:4113429)   #168
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Yes, they were bought out, so Ravaglia is no longer the owner, but still running things.

So even the car dealerships were bought out from him??

@Matt K: What can a guest driver for one race could do with his points?? In the end someone will bring 10 guest drivers, to prevent his competitors from catching points at the end of the season.
Old 7 Jun 2022, 22:10 (Ref:4113476)   #169
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Great, thanks for the info. I missed all this when it happened.
Old 13 Jun 2022, 18:22 (Ref:4115425)   #170
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nicki Thiim stated at Le Mans that he has finished with the DTM and will not start in Imola.
https://gt-place.com/2022/06/13/nick...m-rueckzug-an/
Old 14 Jun 2022, 09:26 (Ref:4115513)   #171
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
T3 won´t race in Imola.
https://gt-place.com/2022/06/14/dtm-...im-bestaetigt/
Old 14 Jun 2022, 11:21 (Ref:4115533)   #172
Matt K
Veteran

Well that escalated quickly.
Pretty disappointing for him to give up so quickly but well, that might be understood.
I reckon T3 will not return this year.
Old 14 Jun 2022, 15:25 (Ref:4115582)   #173
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Nicki Thiim stated at Le Mans that he has finished with the DTM and will not start in Imola.
https://gt-place.com/2022/06/13/nick...m-rueckzug-an/
Saying he's finished with the DTM is a bit of a stretch. According to Speedweek, Thiim's priority is to stay in DTM and Rostek is working on possible options.
Old 14 Jun 2022, 17:26 (Ref:4115597)   #174
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Quote:
Saying he's finished with the DTM is a bit of a stretch. According to Speedweek, Thiim's priority is to stay in DTM and Rostek is working on possible options.
Speedweek changed the quote this morning
Old 14 Jun 2022, 18:47 (Ref:4115623)   #175
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Speedweek changed the quote this morning
You're right, I can see the correction under their article I have seen only the corrected version