DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar considering sitting out Italian GP

From F1-Live

Quote:
lthough the eleven Formula One teams have been given the green light to compete in this weekend's Italian Grand Prix despite other sporting events being cancelled in the aftermath of terrorist attacks in the United States, at this stage there is still one outfit on stand by, not sure if they will be amongst the 22 cars on the Monza circuit.

According to reports in the British Press, despite being given the okay from the FIA to compete, Jaguar drivers Eddie Irvine and Pedro de la Rosa, who will arrive at the famous circuit later today, are in limbo as they await official word from American based Ford executives, who want to honour the memory of friends family and colleagues who were among the innocent victims of Tuesday's devastation.

“We are reviewing the situation all the time,” a Jaguar spokesperson was quoted as saying in the Times. “We want to do what is best.”

First practice is set to begin tomorrow and it is thought that the final word on Jaguar's involvement in the weekend's activities should be known by the end of the day.
Hmm, interesting. Surely it would be a significat disadvantage for the leaping cat in the championship. Maybe Niki is so embarrassed by his team's performance that he wants any excuse for the world not too see it...?
Old 13 Sep 2001, 08:58 (Ref:145541)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Re: Jaguar considering sitting out Italian GP

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
From F1-Live

Hmm, interesting. Surely it would be a significat disadvantage for the leaping cat in the championship. Maybe Niki is so embarrassed by his team's performance that he wants any excuse for the world not too see it...?
In light of what has taken place this week that is hardly the point,and is in very poor taste on your behalf..

Last edited by JeremySmith; 13 Sep 2001 at 08:58.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 09:23 (Ref:145544)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Formula 1's governing body, the FIA has said that they have no plans to cancel the Italian or the American Grands Prix later this month. Despite this, many teams are suggesting that they do not want to participate. Jaguar Racing and Minardi have publicly voiced their opinion on the matter, but they insist that the feeling is common among the F1 fraternity.

Jaguar Racing, Jordan Grand Prix and Sauber all have links to companies based in the World Trade Centre.

A meeting between teams on Thursday will decide whether or not the American Grand Prix on the 30th September will go ahead.

According to the Sun, a Jaguar spokesman said: "We know we have an obligation to race but we are currently evaluating the situation."

A Minardi spokesman said: "It is Paul's view that it would be totally irresponsible to hold the US Grand Prix. He will be making that point at a meeting of team principals in Monza. As an aviation man and a Formula One team owner he knows the dangers. It is a reminder that Formula One is not as important as it might like to be."

Please excuse the double post...
Old 13 Sep 2001, 09:24 (Ref:145545)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Ooh, dear It looks as if I have just typed something I'll regret...Basically I am as shaken as everyone else regarding this matter (see my reply in the gravel trap), and I certainly am not trying to make a joke out the terrorist attack. Obviously Jaguar has a reason behind this - I was just looking for something to accompany with the F1-Live news article I attached, and what I wrote turned out to be thouroughly inappropriate...

I am very sorry about this - I didn't realise until it was to late - I had already missed the ten-minute edit time. Essentially, my thoughts are that Jaguar should not sit out the race. If they do it will be a win for the terrorists. with much regret, when I put it to words, the story changed for the worse.

Once again, please excuse me, I feel very guilty and most apologetic. Admins: Perhaps it would be best for this topic to be quietly buried away in the Pulled Posts forum...

We all make mistakes - I just made one. Sorry, once again :

Last edited by DNQ; 13 Sep 2001 at 09:27.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 09:40 (Ref:145548)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
No harm done DNQ..You are a gentleman, and thank you..

Warm regards...Jeremy
Old 13 Sep 2001, 11:30 (Ref:145566)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Jersound
No harm done DNQ..You are a gentleman, and thank you..

Warm regards...Jeremy
Glad you can accept my apologies Jersound. Thanks a lot, mate
Old 13 Sep 2001, 12:15 (Ref:145574)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have the same feeling. Jaguar should race to prove they're among these beasts. I'm sure all of the victims would like the americans stand proud and keep the life going on, even if their hearts are full of pain...
Old 13 Sep 2001, 13:15 (Ref:145593)   #8
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DNQ, we are all a little at the top of our nerves at the moment.
Something horrific happened which not only affects the people in the United States, but every human being on earth.

I see no reason to delete this topic.
You said something, you regretted it and you apologized.
Thank you for that.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 14:04 (Ref:145608)   #9
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
I have the same feeling. Jaguar should race to prove they're among these beasts. I'm sure all of the victims would like the americans stand proud and keep the life going on, even if their hearts are full of pain...
Hi, Bononi, everyone,

Jaguar are owned by Ford, who are an American Company, and sponsor's HSBC and AT&T both had offices within the World Trade Centre in New York. Sauber and Jordan also are both sponsored by companies who have staff who are missing, presumed dead. No decision has been taken yet, but if any of these teams are missing on Sunday, it will be understandable.

Robert

Old 13 Sep 2001, 14:35 (Ref:145617)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel the Italian Grand Prix should still go ahead, even just to give people a distraction from the tragedy.

It would be perfectly acceptable for Minardi and Jaguar especially to pull out of the race, as Paul runs an airline and Ford is american owned. Jordan and Sauber should also feel free to not take part in the race, even though they are contracted to do so.

As for the American GP, i feel it should go ahead, but at a later date, as respect to the people who have lost their lives to this awful tragedy.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 15:39 (Ref:145635)   #11
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the jaguar F1 team aren't goin to compete - does that mean the F3 team will also not race this weekend?????
Old 13 Sep 2001, 16:20 (Ref:145657)   #12
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the teams should participate but i fully understand the reasons for their non-participation.

In the end it is down to the teams to do what they feel is right.

Its a shame though that this tragic event seems to be the only way of stopping the teams of thinking about the financial aspects of the sport.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 17:04 (Ref:145676)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
At the end of the day I think that ALL teams should take part. If the terrorists see that they are having an impact on day-to-day events as well as sporting events, then that gives them more fuel to repeat the same tasks. We must continue and show them that nothing will stop the civillised world.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 17:09 (Ref:145678)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
They really are in a no-win situation - whether they take part or not they will get grief from someone for their actions.

I personally believe that we must *not* give in to these terrorists and that they *should* run the race and all teams take part, hopefully with a suitable mark of respect - maybe a minutes silence on the grid with the cars setting off one minute later than scheduled.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 19:45 (Ref:145747)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
They really are in a no-win situation - whether they take part or not they will get grief from someone for their actions.

I personally believe that we must *not* give in to these terrorists and that they *should* run the race and all teams take part, hopefully with a suitable mark of respect - maybe a minutes silence on the grid with the cars setting off one minute later than scheduled.
I am 100% with you Graig.. However Jaguar may consider that it is poor taste to run the Italian Grand Prix, owing to the fact that they had office space at The "World" Trade Center..
Old 13 Sep 2001, 21:20 (Ref:145800)   #16
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that any of the Fords, the autoworkers or any of the drivers past and present who have had a Ford/Cosworth engine in their cars would like to see that a bunch of idiotic savages disrupted, even if for one race, the brand's commitment to excel in motorsports.

This is a race that the cat cannot miss.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 21:36 (Ref:145809)   #17
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just received an e-mail from Jaguar in which a spokesperson said they will participate in the race.

First free practice will begin a little earlier in order to make sure everyone can participate in the three minutes silence at noon.
Also, for 10 minutes, there will be no engine sounds heard.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 21:46 (Ref:145814)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good news Gerard, finally good news.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 21:55 (Ref:145820)   #19
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerard
I just received an e-mail from Jaguar in which a spokesperson said they will participate in the race.

First free practice will begin a little earlier in order to make sure everyone can participate in the three minutes silence at noon.
Also, for 10 minutes, there will be no engine sounds heard.

thats good - also a nice mark of respect!!!!
Old 13 Sep 2001, 22:10 (Ref:145832)   #20
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really believe the Ford/Jaguar and their sponsors have made the right decision here and hope that they will participate in the US GP in two weeks as well. Ferrari has announced that, in Italy, they will race without showing any decals from commercial or technical sponsors on the cars. That is another very appropriate response to the situation.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 22:59 (Ref:145854)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yes, Maxmil.

And I hope some others teams to follow them, maybe Sauber and Prost.

McLaren could make it too....
Old 14 Sep 2001, 00:11 (Ref:145872)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, the thing is though Ferrari can afford to run without sponsorship, I doubt teams like Prost or Minardi can, this now puts them under pressure to do the same.