Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Dec 2011, 20:08 (Ref:3001342)   #226
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
It's not an advice, but let me tell you that, as a first time timer, you won't sleep during the whole race !
Why should one? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
In the car or, using a French adapter, on the power post at the campsite. (Keeping in mind that we have a closed camp.) Last resort is one of those "additional battery" thingies.
keke
Well, i will then bring my charger .
But i have planned to buy a external battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
If you get there early and depending where you camp you can plug it in at the campsite until the sockets are all taken up. If I'm correct CTD you aren't taking a car, which is probably the best way of charging. I bought a cheap solar charger for this year and I think I probably got what I paid for because it was s**t.
It's not easy. Plus you can get hit with the roaming charges if you aren't careful.
Can you link to a similar charger? (so i won't buy that one) - Because i have looked at a lot, and tested two which didn't work properly.

I'm going to turn of all internet to save power. Otherwise it doesn't matter as my employer pays my phone bill
Old 17 Dec 2011, 21:12 (Ref:3001360)   #227
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
And now the money has switched hands.
I am now going to Le Mans for the first time in my life!

Is there any lists on the internet with good advice for first timers?
Aysedasi has a very good web sight full of useful tips for the first timers
Old 18 Dec 2011, 18:47 (Ref:3001613)   #228
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Any iPhone users at Le Mans? - if yes how do you charge?

With a hotel base, not something I really have to worry about, but to keep me in juice over Saturday and Sunday I use Technet external batteries/chargers.
Old 31 Dec 2011, 20:02 (Ref:3005945)   #229
stylish
Rookie

England
United Kingdom
stylish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much to the annoyance of the wife, i am returning again with 5 colleagues from work, last year was good even though the weather was a bit chilly, so lets hope for a nice dry hot one.

Porsche Curves at night, not too far from the tent is perfect for me.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 09:00 (Ref:3006646)   #230
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure if this would be the right place to ask but how is it being at Le Mans in tems of actually viewing the race. Do they have large Outdoor TV's that show the International Feed. I can imagine that Le Mans is worth going to on the experience alone but what is there in the way of actually watching the cars battle over the entire lap when your stationed in one spot on the track?

Is there WIFI to be able to tune in to live feed from a Laptop?
Do they offer Kangaroo TV?
Old 3 Jan 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3006657)   #231
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Not sure if this would be the right place to ask but how is it being at Le Mans in tems of actually viewing the race. Do they have large Outdoor TV's that show the International Feed. I can imagine that Le Mans is worth going to on the experience alone but what is there in the way of actually watching the cars battle over the entire lap when your stationed in one spot on the track?

Is there WIFI to be able to tune in to live feed from a Laptop?
Do they offer Kangaroo TV?
Never mind myself. I've been able to answer these questions and more by browsing this post of the forums.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3006833)   #232
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Never mind myself. I've been able to answer these questions and more by browsing this post of the forums.
I was gutted when I heard Kangaroo TV wouldn't be there last year but you really can be kept in the loop by the big screens and more importantly the radio. I just wish they showed more replays on the screens. Always showing the hourly update montage might be a bit much but if you did miss something (which for me was the lead Vette go out) you could see it again.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3006872)   #233
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Articus the advantage of this race is that you can move around and in 24 hours watch from all or most of the viewing points available, after a few years you find that you watch most of the time from a few favorite spots, the large screens are good to watch sometimes and the radio keeps you informed both while you watch and when you are moving around the track, especially if you are driving to the viewing places at Mulsanne, indianapolis and arnarge.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3006923)   #234
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The radio is very much the key for me. Radio Le Mans is absolutely essential. Double-underlined!
Old 3 Jan 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3006925)   #235
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is the cheap portable radios found at eBay any good for Le Mans?
Old 3 Jan 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3006933)   #236
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The BMW Williams radio I got for a fiver served me well for my three Le Mans visits. Most newer mobile phones have an FM receiver though, you might already own a perfectly serviceable radio...
Old 3 Jan 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3006936)   #237
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
The BMW Williams radio I got for a fiver served me well for my three Le Mans visits. Most newer mobile phones have an FM receiver though, you might already own a perfectly serviceable radio...
one word:
iPhone
Old 3 Jan 2012, 22:54 (Ref:3006943)   #238
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
one word:
iPhone
Haha good luck getting the battery to last for more than a couple of hours. Honestly a fairly cheap radio will do the trick and be the best purchase you made this year.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3006946)   #239
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Haha good luck getting the battery to last for more than a couple of hours. Honestly a fairly cheap radio will do the trick and be the best purchase you made this year.
My point was that iPhone doesn't got Fm receiver thanks to some law, somewhere .

But thank you, a cheap Radio i will purchase!

EDIT:
Battery power will hopefully get covered with solar power, battery packs and boring waste time at a charging camp
Old 4 Jan 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3007071)   #240
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rechargeable batteries are great in theory, but in high drain devices like cameras they are eaten alive. Lithium batteries are the only kind I use. In a camera, a pair will probably last you the whole event and more. In a little radio, it's more likely that you'll need to replace the radio before the batteries.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 12:00 (Ref:3007097)   #241
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I spent 25 quid on a nice roberts (I think) sports radio, which lasted me the whole week on almost solidly with just one AAA battery.

Have booked my time off work, waiting for Simmi to do the same...
Old 6 Jan 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3008345)   #242
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i have used my little sony radio for many years easy to tune in and batteries last the whole trip
Old 6 Jan 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3008395)   #243
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I use a 5 pound radio I bought in tescos 6 years ago uses two AAA's and they last the whole weekend. Not sure if they still sell them as I'm 12,000 miles away and can't check !! Its handy as it came with headphones and a lanyard and theres even a single LED torch in one end which can be handy in the wee hours.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3008579)   #244
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well I'll be taking my amazing Quietunes headphones radio again. An absolute revelation last year.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 06:22 (Ref:3009666)   #245
greynomad
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
greynomad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time to Le Mans

Going to Le Mans (and Europe) from Sydney this year. Can you buy general entry tickets at the gate when I get there or do you need to get them in advance.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 06:30 (Ref:3009670)   #246
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by greynomad View Post
Going to Le Mans (and Europe) from Sydney this year. Can you buy general entry tickets at the gate when I get there or do you need to get them in advance.
No need to buy general entry tickets in advance, they can be purchased at the gate.

Welcome to the forum greynomad!
Old 10 Jan 2012, 06:46 (Ref:3009676)   #247
greynomad
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
greynomad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of comfort zone

Thank you Bentley03, done plenty of meetings in the US and even the TT however France and Le Mans are a different matter. Not sure how things work in France. My French is zero, however Le Mans is on my bucket list. Would like to get further info as the time gets closer.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 07:34 (Ref:3009686)   #248
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by greynomad View Post
Thank you Bentley03, done plenty of meetings in the US and even the TT however France and Le Mans are a different matter. Not sure how things work in France. My French is zero, however Le Mans is on my bucket list. Would like to get further info as the time gets closer.
Ask away, there's a wealth of knowledge you can tap into amongst Tenths members.

It's probably worth mentioning that if you have thoughts of a grandstand seat for race weekend, you'll need to book that element in advance. Likewise parking, if you're hiring a car and travelling to/from the circuit from off circuit accommodation.

And, you are (of course) invited to join us on Saturday for the 10Tenths meeting.......details of time/location will be on here nearer the time.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 18:08 (Ref:3009919)   #249
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
I use a 5 pound radio I bought in tescos 6 years ago uses two AAA's and they last the whole weekend. Not sure if they still sell them as I'm 12,000 miles away and can't check !! Its handy as it came with headphones and a lanyard and theres even a single LED torch in one end which can be handy in the wee hours.
Has anyone used a personal digital radio, and if so what was the quality like? Digital radios are fantastic with interference whatsoever but would a British digi radio still provide the same quality at the track as it would back home?
Old 11 Jan 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3010164)   #250
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
Has anyone used a personal digital radio, and if so what was the quality like? Digital radios are fantastic with interference whatsoever but would a British digi radio still provide the same quality at the track as it would back home?
There's no digital radio in France and when it does arrive it will not be compatible with the UK standard.
In short your digital radio will never work in France. Bring an FM radio and tune to Radio LM on 91.2