Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Jan 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1497806)   #1
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Binnie to change to Zytec V8

Reading the link below, it appears Binnie motorsports are changing their current engines to the Zytec V8 motor due to "multiple engine failures in 2005".......

http://www.racecar.co.uk/story.asp?NewsID=12202

The link does not obviously slate the guilty, but am I right in thinking Binnie were using the AER 2.0 4-cylinder turbo engines in 2005 ???.....if so this aint the first team to bail out from AER and approach Judd or Zytec......wadya all reckon???....
Old 9 Jan 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1497812)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They were using the Nicholson-Mclaren V8 I believe...
Old 9 Jan 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1497831)   #3
Aerodynamic
Rookie

Aerodynamic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very good move imo, Zytek showed all last season that its 3.4V8 (i assume this is the one being fitted) was an exceptional engine, it's about time an LMP2 car got a flavour of a really powerful beast - Porsche have shown that they can stay with the big boys with the right tools, now Binnie can have a go as well................!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9 Jan 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1497834)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Lets hope he has better luck this year . Anyone know if he intends doing Sebring and the LMS again ?
Old 9 Jan 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1497849)   #5
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
........Anyone know if he intends doing Sebring and the LMS again ?
Yes and yes!

Someone was on the ball and posted the news on the relevant threads this morning..........
Old 9 Jan 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1497914)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
They were using the Nicholson-Mclaren V8 I believe...

It was the Nicholson-McLaren engine, indeed...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 9 Jan 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1497950)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is a very strong choice IMO.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1498086)   #8
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great engine. Although it had multiple failures with Creation in 2004 (as well as with the works at Le Mans that year). Zytek's work on the the A1GP engine seems to have ironed-out these reliability problems as the engine was strong in 2005.

Hopefully, Binnie will not have to fight a 'works' car with the same engine. Jota seemed to suffer from less power when up against the works car in the LMES.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 22:43 (Ref:1498181)   #9
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
Hopefully, Binnie will not have to fight a 'works' car with the same engine. Jota seemed to suffer from less power when up against the works car in the LMES.
No chance of that in 2006. The only 'works' entry will be the 04S Hybrid LMP1 which will be powered by the new 4 litre version of the engine.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 23:43 (Ref:1498231)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When you think about the engines and chassis available today, there are not many weak links.

You could make a good argument for most.

The manufactuers and market as a whole seems to have matured, which can only be good for the sports stability and competitiveness.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 04:39 (Ref:1498322)   #11
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
No chance of that in 2006. The only 'works' entry will be the 04S Hybrid LMP1 which will be powered by the new 4 litre version of the engine.
It seems to have gone awfully quiet on this project. I know this is off-thread but has anyone heard anthing more. There have been some stories that the zytek car has been sold to Japan suggesting the car (if it sees the light of day) may be a new LMP1 after all.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 08:23 (Ref:1498378)   #12
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
It seems to have gone awfully quiet on this project. I know this is off-thread but has anyone heard anthing more. There have been some stories that the zytek car has been sold to Japan suggesting the car (if it sees the light of day) may be a new LMP1 after all.
Until there's any official word to the contrary, I'll stick with the 2006 update Trevor Foster announced post Istanbul............
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:57 (Ref:1498745)   #13
Aerodynamic
Rookie

Zytek LMP1 Hybird with 4.0L is what's coming.......................

Still a couple of questions though - 1 or 2 cars - latest rumours say 2

Fate of the existing 04s...............sold?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 00:07 (Ref:1499002)   #14
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hmmmm.......I'm surprised to hear the NME engine has been failing, its a sound design, but perhaps stretching it to 3.6 litres from the CART 2.65 Litres was a bit too much, its basically the same engine used in the Grand prix masters cars - I think.......perhaps its a good sprint engine, but endurance is a no go......I dare say due to the increased capacity, the barrels are now wafer thin, less land to seal the cylinders to the head, and probably very very short stroke, therefor probably revving the tits out of it to get respectable power.......although the judd motor aint perfect, its certainly designed the right way for endurance racing.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 03:18 (Ref:1499038)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was 3.3 L...and from the looks of the engine, it its probably a combination of bore and stroke....but I could be wrong on that...

Old 11 Jan 2006, 04:22 (Ref:1499048)   #16
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised at at Nicholson-McLaren engine failing? Funny.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1499208)   #17
LMP nut
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
LMP nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Binnie had seven failures in five race meetings......... Hopefully 2006 will be a good step forward for this team
Old 11 Jan 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1499253)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Binnie dropped out very, very early at Sebring....the car came to rest in Turn 3 where I was sitting...

Can't recall if it was the engine or the drive train...

Old 11 Jan 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1499303)   #19
Randy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Henley on Thames
Randy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NME have done my engines for years now, from Cosworth DFR/S/Z/L through to the Nissan V6 twin turbo I run now so, needless to say, I know them fairly well and have huge faith in their abilities. I, personally, would very seriously consider an NME V8 if I were starting an LMP2 campaign even considering the Binnie car has had it's issues. The engine is essentially the same unit as the GP Masters and also the very successful hillclimb unit. This engine has huge potential and probably has the legs on a Judd in terms of power. Unfortunately I think NME are too busy to commit to LMP2 this year with their GPM commitments and I think the series will be worse off for it, especially considering the pace the car has shown when the right drivers have been put in.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1499307)   #20
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Binnie dropped out very, very early at Sebring....the car came to rest in Turn 3 where I was sitting...

Can't recall if it was the engine or the drive train...
Neither Tim, the Battery shorted out
Old 11 Jan 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1499322)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
Neither Tim, the Battery shorted out

I didn't recall seeing smoke when they stopped...my son and his buddies had the scanner over in the Turn 11 & 12 combo...

So I never did know exactly what did happen....

Old 11 Jan 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1499387)   #22
canam
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP nut
Apparently Binnie had seven failures in five race meetings......... Hopefully 2006 will be a good step forward for this team
Creation had three engine/engine-related failures in 2004 out of six races with the Zytek engine. That's why they moved to Judd I guess.

The Zytek engine has come on since then so I hope Binnie has no problems. It is awful for team morale and sponsorship prospects when a team has so many DNFs. Best of luck to Bill and his team in 2006.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1518876)   #23
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Pictures of the Binnie Lola Zytek testing: http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/Gal...01%5F06/album/

No notable difference with the Nicholson-McLaren V8, except for the Zytek Motorsport stickers. Intake seems slightly changed.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1519209)   #24
Aerodynamic
Rookie

Quote:
Creation had three engine/engine-related failures in 2004 out of six races with the Zytek engine. That's why they moved to Judd I guess.

The Zytek engine has come on since then so I hope Binnie has no problems. It is awful for team morale and sponsorship prospects when a team has so many DNFs. Best of luck to Bill and his team in 2006.
These engines are probably the most used sportscar engine out there at the moment - they are in the A1GP cars..........seems to be working a treat at the moment - 58 sec lap at Snetterton is extremely quick.

Speaking of A1, has anyone noticed Shimoda is returning to the Japanese team this weekend. Maybe a warmup for the coming sportscar season.....
Old 21 Feb 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1527711)   #25
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Testing has gone very well: http://www.planetlemans.com/index.ph...=1499&Itemid=2