Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Oct 2020, 08:18 (Ref:4010315)   #7951
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I don't know what to think about this. People on furlough, out of work, kids not getting fed properly and somebody wants us to crowd fund a racecar to get fixed? https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-bobb...-btcc-race-car
The car is off to Willie Poole for repairs, according to Sean it needs new sides and roof. WPMS says it will be ready in a few days.

So not unrepairable us the go fund me page says...but still expensive. BT has retweeted the go fund me page, so is 'official'.

Like you say, asking people to fund repairing a race car in the current climate is a difficult ask.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 08:22 (Ref:4010318)   #7952
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Double post
Old 13 Oct 2020, 09:03 (Ref:4010330)   #7953
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From bitter experience I can confirm that Willy Poole is a magician, but not cheap.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 09:39 (Ref:4010336)   #7954
mj088
Racer

mj088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgive my ignorance but that Audi will almost certainly be finished in BTCC by brands hatch, so this is a huge cost for a car to do 2 rounds, would it not be a better/cheaper option for AMD/TPC to source one of the many unraced NGTC cars out there to allow him to finish the season? I can think of at least 2 FK2 civics sitting in storage ( which AMD know how to prepare), probably a Focus, an Astra
Old 13 Oct 2020, 09:56 (Ref:4010338)   #7955
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Avensis of HMS along with its Alfa Romeo are also available
Old 13 Oct 2020, 10:02 (Ref:4010340)   #7956
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know what to think about this. People on furlough, out of work, kids not getting fed properly and somebody wants us to crowd fund a racecar to get fixed? https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-bobb...-btcc-race-car
It's a free country. If people don't want to fund it then they don't have to. If you take it the logical conclusion all the people you mention shouldn't get any help either as there are people in other countries far, far worse off with nothing like the opportunities the poorest here have.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 10:03 (Ref:4010341)   #7957
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Literally just seen this, can't believe it after seeing how quickly AMD got the car stripped and Shaun saying how the car would be back for Snetterton. Doubt it's a scam as its been shared on FB by Bobby's girlfriend...
Old 13 Oct 2020, 11:28 (Ref:4010354)   #7958
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
May not be a scam but it's certainly deceptive. "His Audi racing car cannot be repaired and buying a new race prepared shell is very expensive" - which we know isn't true. If it 'cannot be repaired' then why is it being sent for repairs?

Appears to have been created by a well-meaning but somewhat ill-informed fan rather than by Thompson himself.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 11:59 (Ref:4010362)   #7959
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Appears to have been created by a well-meaning but somewhat ill-informed fan rather than by Thompson himself.
Jeff Army comes to mind...
Old 13 Oct 2020, 12:57 (Ref:4010374)   #7960
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Jeff Army comes to mind...
Being a member, I can confirm that nobody in charge of any of our social media is plugging this or organising it. I've never heard of 'Retro Steve' or 'Mike Adams'.

To be fair, there are far worse fan groups to be involved with. I suspect a fair few members of this forum are involved in some of those groups.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 13:43 (Ref:4010382)   #7961
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If worse comes to worse they can always use the second Audi, but that would mean Rivett would not be able to drive it at Snett
Old 13 Oct 2020, 14:02 (Ref:4010389)   #7962
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole crowd funding thing doesn't sit well with me. If my hobby is fishing, and I break my best rod, why should a load of strangers give me money to replace it?
Old 13 Oct 2020, 14:08 (Ref:4010390)   #7963
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
The whole crowd funding thing doesn't sit well with me. If my hobby is fishing, and I break my best rod, why should a load of strangers give me money to replace it?
I guess that would depend on how many people are willing to pay to support you ?

Personally, I see no problem with it. Drives are funded through countless ways, and as long as there is nothing underhand or illegal about the method, entrants should be free to fund their entry however they wish.

Whether it is membership to a club, paying for sponsorship, buying merchandise or contributing to a gofundme - noone is being forced into handing over their money.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 14:22 (Ref:4010396)   #7964
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Many moons ago a chap called Tim Lee Davey won a tv show to become a racing driver. He was relatively successful and managed to acquire a Porsche 962C for endurance racing. I recall one year in the 80s he was selling space on the car. You could get your name on it for a reasonable sum (I don't recall how much now). But that's an early example of crowd funding. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Lee-Davey
Old 13 Oct 2020, 14:52 (Ref:4010398)   #7965
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
my opinion on this kind of stuff is that some people may want to help a driver (be it because they're a friend, family member or just a huge fan) but don't have the money to sponsor them outright. something like crowd funding allows them to contribute what they can and want to pay, and gives the driver the option to scrape together micro funding whilst they focus on getting the bigger numbers.

i don't see the harm in making the option available, although i feel a bit uncomfortable with the target amount. appreciate that's a problem with the site rather than the individual appeal though.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 15:08 (Ref:4010401)   #7966
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
my opinion on this kind of stuff is that some people may want to help a driver (be it because they're a friend, family member or just a huge fan) but don't have the money to sponsor them outright. something like crowd funding allows them to contribute what they can and want to pay, and gives the driver the option to scrape together micro funding whilst they focus on getting the bigger numbers.

i don't see the harm in making the option available, although i feel a bit uncomfortable with the target amount. appreciate that's a problem with the site rather than the individual appeal though.
Very well put. That's made me less uneasy with it.

Can I just say that I wasn't suggesting it was dodgy or anything similar. I merely said that I was a bit unsure how that sat with me in this current climate.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 15:27 (Ref:4010405)   #7967
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Many moons ago a chap called Tim Lee Davey won a tv show to become a racing driver. He was relatively successful and managed to acquire a Porsche 962C for endurance racing. I recall one year in the 80s he was selling space on the car. You could get your name on it for a reasonable sum (I don't recall how much now). But that's an early example of crowd funding. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Lee-Davey
I was there when the car raced at le mans and they had a unit very close to where i live in Maidstone, in which they worked on and stored the car. The family business was just the other side of Maidstone selling Caravans
Old 13 Oct 2020, 15:35 (Ref:4010408)   #7968
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I was there when the car raced at le mans and they had a unit very close to where i live in Maidstone, in which they worked on and stored the car. The family business was just the other side of Maidstone selling Caravans
Didn't the car end up being scrutineered with no engine because it hadn't been paid for?
Old 13 Oct 2020, 16:01 (Ref:4010413)   #7969
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Can I just say that I wasn't suggesting it was dodgy or anything similar. I merely said that I was a bit unsure how that sat with me in this current climate.
to be honest i agree with your original question and pickles generally, particularly in an expensive series and when it’s pitched as a desperate last ditch attempt and there’s pressure to donate implied or otherwise.

used to always make me feel uncomfortable until some friends were in a similar situation and a lot of friends and family said the same thing - a sponsor sized contribution was out of their range but they wanted to help somehow. they refused the help because of aforementioned dodgy climate and feeling uncomfortable taking money off friends and family, but if you’ve got people willing to pay the nuts and bolts costs just to help somehow then then big scary labour and parts aren’t quite so hard to cope with.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 16:38 (Ref:4010427)   #7970
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see both sides there. It looks a little insensitive. But then again, if there isn't demand for it, it'll flop anyway and there will be no harm done.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 17:11 (Ref:4010438)   #7971
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
At the end of the day motor racing is 'discretionary spend', a luxury and the brutal truth is that if you can't afford to cover every eventuality of which almost wiring off the car is not that unlikely, then don't do it....

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a well known motorsport insurer many years ago when we strayed into the higher end of the market and I asked if many of the historic F1 (70's and 80's) were insured, to which the reply came - almost none, on the basis that the owner didn't believe they would crash it enough to require significant repair or loss and if they did, they would just buy another one...

This was a few years ago and values have leaped since, but still a measure of the deographic. I once tried to insure a Lola for the world sports car championship, those of us of a certain vintage may recall that the purchase price was 'capped' at $250,000 but of course the manufacturers aimed to make this up in the parts prices, which were horrendous. A set of bodywork would cover the cost of a whole season in some series....We were refused total loss cover on the basis that an insurer believed that there was almost always something from a race car that could be salaged for use.

I digress, apologies....
Old 13 Oct 2020, 17:16 (Ref:4010439)   #7972
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The text on the GoFundMe page has been updated, removing the mention of the car being a write-off. Now reads more like normal sponsorship proposal and less like fan-boy pleading.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 18:08 (Ref:4010450)   #7973
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
For me it's a legit way to try and raise some much needed funds.

Mr Belcher did something similar after his car and the woods at Thruxton merged into one.

Mike Bushell offered chauffeur driven high speed laps in his Clio some years ago to fund repairing his AmD touring car. I swear to God that lad had fitted something distinctly not from this Earth under the bonnet...

You pays your money, you takes your choice...
Old 13 Oct 2020, 18:32 (Ref:4010457)   #7974
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
For me it's a legit way to try and raise some much needed funds.

Mr Belcher did something similar after his car and the woods at Thruxton merged into one.

Mike Bushell offered chauffeur driven high speed laps in his Clio some years ago to fund repairing his AmD touring car. I swear to God that lad had fitted something distinctly not from this Earth under the bonnet...

You pays your money, you takes your choice...
I get that, like you say they offered something in return.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 22:35 (Ref:4010491)   #7975
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Yep he had a unit in the 20/20 estate. The crowd funding thing was in 1990/91 and yes the car was scrutineered without an engine. Last seen in TLDs hands at the Interserie meeting at Brands in 1991, he borrowed an engine from Joest but had to run with his own ECU which he didn't have! Val Musetti had already handed over 20k for the drive the ECU never appeared and the car was towed up to a spot behind the Brabham centre by Tims rusty Honda to carry on selling space on the car...........