Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Jun 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2896214)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
McNish and Rockenfeller Accidents

Looking at the accident ..... I reckon one of the issues is the increased height of the front wheel arch , due to the increased diameter of the front tyre .

You cant see **** outta the window , never mind the side window .

To be honest , Im not sure I agree with this type of prototype design .

I dont blame Nishy , nor do I blame the Ferrari ..... I understend McNish saw a gap , went for it , didnt see the Ferrari , bang .

McNish doesnt normally make mistakes .

I dont think the fwd wheel arch is safe is my point .
Old 12 Jun 2011, 03:15 (Ref:2896382)   #2
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just McNish's mistake I'm afraid. Shouldn't have attempted to pass his team and the Ferrari into the corner.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 03:46 (Ref:2896408)   #3
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
50/50 I'd say. McNish couldn't see the Ferrari in front of his teammate, Beltoise couldn't see McNish behind the Audi. The definition of a racing incident.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 03:53 (Ref:2896422)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm not so sure McNish had no idea the Ferrari was there. Wouldn't he have seen the GT up ahead as it went through the chicane some distance in front of the other Audi? Therefore, wouldn't he have known what his teammate was slowing for?

And aside from all that, apart from the pit straight, there is NOWHERE on that circuit where it is advisable for someone to even attempt a double pass on two other cars that are fully on the track.

Finally, of course, I don't think any GT driver would have even dreamt that a prototype, much less an Audi, much less McNish himself, would even try a move like that at that point.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2896817)   #5
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Bonanza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as Martin Haven pointed out, Mcnish''s accident is justificiation for using closed top prototypes. All LMPs should be closed for safety and aesthetics IMO. (This is also means no need for rule balancing etc etc). If Mcnish was in last year's car, things could have been very different.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2896835)   #6
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That was a real close one... a little bit higher and there could have been unthinkable consequences for those standing the other side of that barrier. Very lucky incident indeed.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2896888)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Its a vision issue I think ..... you cant see past the front wheel arch , big front tyres this year .
Old 12 Jun 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2896891)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was McNish's fault, it's a tricky place to pass at the best of times, let alone in the first hour when coming through backmarkers.

It also shows coupes should be mandatory, they offer so much added protection, and apart the AMR-One and Zytek, each manufactuer appears to be going that direction.

As for the track, gravel beds only work in slow sections, at speed they tend to launch a car or flip it over. A large tarmac run-off with no out seide kerb would have seen the R18 scrub off plenty of speed.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2896920)   #9
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Its a vision issue I think ..... you cant see past the front wheel arch , big front tyres this year .
IIRC the Acura-drivers had the same problem with the ARX-02...
Old 12 Jun 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2896960)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Visibility will be an issue in any racing car, it's for such reasons you don't make moves like McNish did.

Audi drivers have pushed this race, and made mistakes, the kind of mistakes Peugeot were castigated for in previous years.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2897173)   #11
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They lower horsepower, they regulate weight, they slow refueling, etc. Why don't they regulate visibility? Make sure all drivers can see what's in front of them and what's behind them. I agree with some of the previous comments, it was just hard for McNish to see the Ferrari and it was difficult for the Ferrari to see McNish. Lucky no one was killed or seriously injured.

DK
Old 12 Jun 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2897281)   #12
Toto87
Rookie

Toto87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My video of Allan McNish's crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ80Nd1PyfU

That's the most scary crash I have seen so fa. We were all worried about the marshals & photographers...
Old 12 Jun 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2897292)   #13
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Ullrich: "I don't think that the accidents were related to visibility."
Old 12 Jun 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2897308)   #14
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting that Ulrich should say that since he wasn't driving the car and yet McNish and the Ferrari driver (sorry I can't remember his name) both said/implied they did not see the other car.

DK
Old 12 Jun 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2897331)   #15
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Clearly he means visibility out of the car was not the issue.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2897336)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
McNish doesnt normally make mistakes.
It isn't unknown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Interesting that Ulrich should say that since he wasn't driving the car and yet McNish and the Ferrari driver (sorry I can't remember his name) both said/implied they did not see the other car.

DK
It is ourageous that the Audi team boss offered an opinion on this

Anyway, I blame Peugeot.

It seemed a little risky considering the point of the race.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2897538)   #17
DavyC412
Rookie

Canada
DavyC412 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Clearly he means visibility out of the car was not the issue.
yeah, it really looked like it had nothing to do with what you could see out the windshield and everything to do with just unfortunate positioning of all the cars on the track. the audi in the middle of the sandwich was really blocking mcnish from seeing the ferrari moving in and likewise blocked the ferrari from seeing mcnish behind his teammate. a really unfortunate coincidence of events so i dont think you can really assign blame to any one driver for what happened.

the #1 audi incident howerver, i would pin that on the ferrari. he should have held his line, he was clearly holding one side of the track then starting veering over as the audi passed, maybe to try to get out of the way, who knows, forcing the rockenfeller off the track. i think the penalty they handed out may have been a bit harsh since i dont think it was intentional, but that one i pin on the ferrari. i dont get how hindhaugh could have blamed the audi for that incident, the closing speed is so high that he would have had to make that decision to pass on the left or right way back, slamming the door on that is just silly.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:13 (Ref:2897605)   #18
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Q & A: McNish on his huge crash
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92271
Old 13 Jun 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2897679)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
Crash from another angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djX3AHHJyrQ
Old 13 Jun 2011, 01:10 (Ref:2897684)   #20
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Wow, great shots of the car. McNish is a lucky man.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 02:34 (Ref:2897720)   #21
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
As for the track, gravel beds only work in slow sections, at speed they tend to launch a car or flip it over. A large tarmac run-off with no out seide kerb would have seen the R18 scrub off plenty of speed.
That only stands-up in the dry, in the wet you can't beat a bit of gravel for slowing down a car.

As I see it, the main problem was the almost Ski-jump like profile to the gravel trap just before the wall of tyres.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 03:23 (Ref:2897729)   #22
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scary scary shunt. I thinkt he prototype drivers need to learn that the GT cars won't just move over if you dive in from along way back, they need to be a bit more patient I believe.

Glad they're all OK
Old 13 Jun 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2897763)   #23
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan McNish
I put it down to one of these racing incidents.
Like Hamilton-Maldonado?

Do as I say, comrade...
Old 13 Jun 2011, 06:35 (Ref:2897771)   #24
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
nvm
Old 13 Jun 2011, 07:14 (Ref:2897790)   #25
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was amazing to me was the way the car seem to bound for the photographers and then miraculously seemed to spin back on to the track side of the barrier.

Did some of the suspension catch on the barrier or something?

Le Mans was VERY lucky not to see some fatalities this weekend.

Great race overall, but that would have REALLY taken the shine off...

M