Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Aug 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2939176)   #176
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I see autosport have an interview with Mike Rockenfeller on their subscription site - xan anyone post or PM the basics as I dont have that.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 07:01 (Ref:2939774)   #177
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Lorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I see autosport have an interview with Mike Rockenfeller on their subscription site - xan anyone post or PM the basics as I dont have that.
PM sent.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 13:18 (Ref:2939960)   #178
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo S View Post
PM sent.
Thank to you and Chernaudi I have it now
Old 12 Sep 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2954250)   #179
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There was an interview with McNish on The Today programme on BBC Radio 4 this morning. It will be available for listen again:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/default.stm

He talked about the accident at Le Mans and saying it wasn't until he watched it on YouTube that he realised it was a big one.
He also said that his approach to racing hadn't changed.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2954923)   #180
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
There was an interview with McNish on The Today programme on BBC Radio 4 this morning. It will be available for listen again:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/default.stm

He talked about the accident at Le Mans and saying it wasn't until he watched it on YouTube that he realised it was a big one.
He also said that his approach to racing hadn't changed.
That was obvious on sunday, another race for the #2 car screwed by mr. McNish...
Old 15 Sep 2011, 10:06 (Ref:2955816)   #181
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
That was obvious on sunday, another race for the #2 car screwed by mr. McNish...
Indeed - Could it be McNish is overdriving the R18 a bit?

It's not like him to overstep the mark between aggressive and out of control, but whilst you could put Le Mans down to a one off, Silverstone makes you wonder if he has an issue with the R18...

M
Old 15 Sep 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2955843)   #182
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt View Post
Indeed - Could it be McNish is overdriving the R18 a bit?

It's not like him to overstep the mark between aggressive and out of control, but whilst you could put Le Mans down to a one off, Silverstone makes you wonder if he has an issue with the R18...

M
I hope it has to do with this car but i''m not so sure if that is the case, last few years he seems to drive hot headed to me, very aggressive in his passing specially in the beginning of the races. To finish first, first you have to finish!
Old 15 Sep 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2955847)   #183
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
I hope it has to do with this car but i''m not so sure if that is the case, last few years he seems to drive hot headed to me, very aggressive in his passing specially in the beginning of the races. To finish first, first you have to finish!
Pressure from outside opposition getting to McNish (although he's probably not going to admit it)?... Actually, looks to me like all the factory drivers for the two factory diesel teams have been guilty of overdriving at some point during the last few years. It's proof of how fierce the competition is between the two teams.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2998177)   #184
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More photos about McNish's crash.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2998201)   #185
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone know if the ACO plan to do anything differently in this area for 2012 or are they just putting it down to a freak accident?

I don't know how much it was mentioned at the time but to me the transition from the regular gravel to the start of the darker, ever so slightly raised section is what lifted the car up fractions before it hit the fence.

In years to come everyone will remember where they were when this happened.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2998406)   #186
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While McNish's accident was the one that grabbed the headlines because there is so much footage of it and the time it happened, the accident that happened to Rockenfeller was potentially more serious.

However the cause of these accidents is quite common especially in saloons, i.e. front corner to rear corner contact and with the car behind usually flying into the barriers. If this type of contact could be prevented then there would be a safer result.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2998486)   #187
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
While McNish's accident was the one that grabbed the headlines because there is so much footage of it and the time it happened, the accident that happened to Rockenfeller was potentially more serious.

However the cause of these accidents is quite common especially in saloons, i.e. front corner to rear corner contact and with the car behind usually flying into the barriers. If this type of contact could be prevented then there would be a safer result.
There (probably) wasn't any contact between Rockenfeller and the Ferrari, the Audi was simply forced off the road by having the door slammed shut on him.
In the McNish accident, I don't think it would have made much difference which part of the Ferrari he hit.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2998499)   #188
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
In the McNish accident, I don't think it would have made much difference which part of the Ferrari he hit.
Front to rear or side to side contact unless very heavy usually don't result in a big incident but front to rear corners usually do. I have seen several of these in saloon racing. It almost always results in the rear car going off in a big way. An example is a large shunt involving Jason Plato at Donnington earlier this year.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2998524)   #189
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I saw McNish's accident as a a clear example of pure corner to corner touching. I do think it would probably have been different had the touching been side to side or full front to rear.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2998546)   #190
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It would have been different, but I think it still would have been a significant incident. Allan would have been very much on the limit, especially with that shallow line he was on, and the speed differential apporaching the apex pretty much guaranteed that the hit would be hard enough to send at least one of them off the road. Not to menion, those esse bends themselves are NOT slow-speed corners.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2998804)   #191
Mal
Veteran

England
London
I think a tarmac run off area where McNish went off would have made a massive difference. He appeared to skip over the gravel without losing much speed at all.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2998828)   #192
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The gravel pit is fine. And tarmac is of little, if any, good when the car is out-of-control.

It looks to me like the outside of the road there is slightly higher than the gravel trap, which means it took a little time, and noticeable distance, for the Audi to come down onto the gravel. That's a grading issue, NOT a gravel issue. Note that, in the same incident, the F458 was able to be driven away because of how much the gravel arrested its speed.

They definitely do need a taller guardrail/barrier at that point though.

EDIT: Having another look, there may be a level difference, but also, the Audi may have tried to lift, in which case, the ridges in the gravel helped catch the car and bring it back down, whereas smooth tarmac would have allowed it to keep lifting without obstruction.

Last edited by Purist; 12 Dec 2011 at 16:15.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2998854)   #193
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
When tarmac is used to slow a car down it works best when the tyres are still in contact with the ground. A car going sideways through gravel is inclined to flip especially saloons.

One thing I notice at Le Mans is that they only use single layer tyre walls in a lot of places, where as a lot of circuits I am familiar with use at least 2 layers and sometimes more with conveyor belting attached in places also. Multiple layers of tyres are very effective at slowing down high speed cars and absorbing the impact. Conveyor belt is more important with single seaters as they can penetrate the tyre wall easily.

At the point where McNish hit there was only a single layer and I don't think there was any conveyor belt. The armco barrier behind the tyre wall was bent over quite significantly after the impact.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 00:38 (Ref:3002069)   #194
Bentley Mulsanne
Rookie

Bentley Mulsanne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The R18 testing at Sebring at the moment has a few subtle differences externally, and by the looks of it a larger 'cockpit window' for better visibility.

Was that a Ferrari to my left??

Images here
Old 29 Dec 2011, 20:21 (Ref:3005289)   #195
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Go see the R18 thread? It's been discussed to death 2 weeks back...