Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 May 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3078777)   #26
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The shots are all on Flickr, and exif data is on them.
So.

Audi on the start straight.
Olympus E-1, ISO400, Ziuiko 50-200 @200mm (35mm equivalent 400mm), 1/20 sec, f3.5. I took a LOT, 99% were blurred. Mainly as I just cannot stop breathing!
Taken at 9PM. Possibly UK time.

Ferris Wheel
Olympus E-1, ISO400, Zuiko 50-200 @50mm, 1/10 sec, f2.8. Again, shoot LOTS! You will chuck most away...
Taken at 10.30PM. Don't bother with a tripod. Even stopped, it's moving... You are in a 'floppy' gondola. Swaying, in the breeze, and as others shift, and wriggle...

Good luck, I hope you get something as good, or better.
Old 24 May 2012, 12:23 (Ref:3078791)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's the answer then - just keep trying! That's the beauty of digital of course, the days of worrying about the expense of films and D&P are long gone!
Old 24 May 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3078798)   #28
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
A lesson I learned from my eldest, Ayse...
I grew up with film. Change rolls every 36 shots, and slides are expensive!
Happy days. Well, almost.
My admiration for The Old Skool boys increases exponentially when I think of what they shot, and what they had to use...
Old 24 May 2012, 15:18 (Ref:3078843)   #29
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I watched the start of last year's race from the Karting pits. It's actually completely free to watch the race for there, you don't even need general admission.

Here's a quick photo to give you an idea of the view:

http://i45.tinypic.com/1o66hv.jpg

As you can see the catch fencing is just that bit too high; but there are some higher vantage points from the tower structure which give you unobstructed views.

One fantastic place is to watch is to line yourself up with the apex of the left-hander, so that the cars come straight at you when they turn into it. Obviously you're at track level so the catch fencing is a problem, but it's still amazing to see the car transferring the weight from one side to the other in the middle of the corner. I have a video from last year if I can find it.

We were in Karting Nord so we just walked through the back of the campsite. On one day a steward stopped us for some reason, but on other days it was open. If you get stopped you have to walk around the road near the carwash place.
Old 24 May 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3078882)   #30
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the info valedave. Shame about the fence but would still love to give it a try this year.
Old 24 May 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3078901)   #31
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
And again a Fence . I hate this . Was last Friday in Zolder for the Test Day from the BRCC . A very friendly Marshall open the Gate and I could stay in front of the Fence , and make some Pictures . Compltly different to the Pics I make on the other Point s on the Circuit .
Old 24 May 2012, 18:43 (Ref:3078905)   #32
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's a video of what I was on about from next to the fence. You can get pretty close to the action; as you can see when the Oreca goes past. Apologies for the quality, was taken using a digital point and shoot.

The speed the prototypes were carrying through there was mind-blowing.
Old 24 May 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3078940)   #33
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
Forgot the link: http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=w2gl1k&s=6
Old 25 May 2012, 07:50 (Ref:3079096)   #34
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
From opposite the pits, just walk past the wheel and bungee nutters, and keep going. You end up inside MB campsite. IIRC they checked our tickets. I bloody hope so, as I had a tent etc in there.

As for 'unusual' spots. If you see a guy lying down at the start of the pit straight, it's only me. GREAT photo spot.
Where is this exactly? Looks like somewhere you would need a photo pass for!
Old 25 May 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3079191)   #35
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Nope, spectator side. Shoot where the marshals stand, just exiting Ford chicane.
I've NEVER been accredited for LM24. I was very lucky to get an armband for the Classic in 2008.
Old 25 May 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3079247)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valedave View Post
Where is this exactly? Looks like somewhere you would need a photo pass for!

I've shot from there - although never prone! You can actually poke your lens through the fence, it's single layer there.
Old 30 May 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3081903)   #37
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I go the other end of that marshals post, to catch cars exiting ford chicane. The bins are a PITA though...

You'll know it when you see it!
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:49 (Ref:3086496)   #38
flyingmonkey
Rookie

flyingmonkey has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Has anyone taken the time to map these out, possibly on Google Earth?

Hold on- let me introduce myself first: I'm Monkey and I am going to my first Le Mans this year. My primary motivation for going is to photograph.

I have been thinking about printing off the ACO's spectator map and marking spots and having a checklist of shots I want to get. I have a feeling though that most of the time I will be wondering about trying things I can't think of sitting at home.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3086505)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It's a tricky one as most of the spectator areas are blighted by debris fencing (although those in a direct line with McNish's accident last year might debate the term 'blighted'..... ). There are some good spots, such as
  • all of the pits grandstand
  • the Ford Chicane (as described above)
  • through the fencing on the outside by the final grandstand on the straight looking into the Dunlop Chicane
  • Overlooking the run to the Esses from the outside (up high)
  • the inside of Tertre Rouge (mega!)
  • Mulsanne Corner
  • On the inside at the bottom of the Esses on the hillock - small parts where you can avoid the fencing)

Just a few thoughts.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:16 (Ref:3086516)   #40
Alexander Matveev
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
Alexander Matveev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ones I could note for myself in 2010:

From the inside of the Esses - spiked wire there, but it was pretty OK to stand near the first line of fencing and put the camera through it:

From right after the Dunlop bridge. In the night or just at high speed the fencing becomes nearly invisible despite being in a line of sight:

Approaching Dunlop bridge. There was a way to get to the first line of the fencing, although I was probably not supposed to be there:

Start/finish line. Well, not quite a good spot:

Old 7 Jun 2012, 17:36 (Ref:3087016)   #41
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The area just outside our campsite at tertre rouge is the highest point and looks down on the track so no fences to obscure the view
Old 7 Jun 2012, 20:32 (Ref:3087112)   #42
Great Dane
Rookie

Denmark
Great Dane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwIsaw0GZcU&feature=plcp

this is a brief video I made at 3am from the top of the karting block
Old 7 Jun 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3087150)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I don't think I've seen footage quite from that angle before - thanks

I love this type of video, it's the sound that's so good!
Old 7 Jun 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3087157)   #44
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for sharing Great Dane. Will definitely have to head over there during the week.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 06:25 (Ref:3087310)   #45
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lemansf...57630015680992

This is a Shot from the Top of the Kart Building .
Old 8 Jun 2012, 07:15 (Ref:3087322)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Excellent - unobstructed view then Walter?
Old 8 Jun 2012, 07:18 (Ref:3087324)   #47
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for checking it out Walter!
Old 8 Jun 2012, 07:41 (Ref:3087331)   #48
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Excellent - unobstructed view then Walter?
Only when you are on the Stairs at the Top of the Building .
Old 8 Jun 2012, 08:02 (Ref:3087340)   #49
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
...where there's space for about two people!
Old 8 Jun 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3087343)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It sounds like waiting patiently for a spot hanging on the fence at the Restaurant des 24 Heures a few years back......