Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Feb 2002, 15:51 (Ref:222953)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the Toyota's didn't qualify would teams let them race?

If (and I'm not saying they will) the Toyota's finished outside the qualifying rule - would the other teams let them into the race?

It's fair to say that there has been some reported friction between Toyota and the other teams last year re: Ove's supposed paddock behaviour (peeking into garages?). If the car's had problems or they simply couldn't get within the Q rule - do you think teams would let them race for the good of the series - or bring them down to earth with a bump and keep them in the garage on raceday.

If so what effect do you thnik this would have and what would Bernie's reaction be to see a car maker (that he know's are desperately needed to maintain F1), publicaly excluded from the race......
Old 26 Feb 2002, 16:08 (Ref:222958)   #2
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I think new teams should be given a three race veto from the 107% rule. Didn't Minardi get both of their cars onto the grid last year in Melbourne, even though only one qualified? I think that was good for the sport.
Old 26 Feb 2002, 16:11 (Ref:222959)   #3
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
Didn't Minardi get both of their cars onto the grid last year in Melbourne, even though only one qualified? I think that was good for the sport.
Yeah - but poor Tarso wasnt allowed to start at Silverstone
Old 26 Feb 2002, 16:37 (Ref:222965)   #4
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mwahahaha don't let them start

That's what I would say if they didn't qualify, but I don't think they will. They've been pretty good in testing and I'm sure they'll score a handful of points if not the odd podium.

Tarso started at Melbourne because his engine blew up or something so he didn't get enough laps done, and I think that's why he was allowed to race then, unlike at Silverstone it was his fault. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I watched neither event.
Old 26 Feb 2002, 17:54 (Ref:223015)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought it was up to the race steward to decide who can and cannot race. When did F1 become a democracy?
Never forget #99
Old 26 Feb 2002, 18:27 (Ref:223029)   #6
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other teams have no vote on letting or not race outside the qualifying rule...
Old 26 Feb 2002, 18:33 (Ref:223032)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they had more testing than the other teams so I think they should be more than ready. If they do not qualify I say let them buy tickets to the race!
Old 26 Feb 2002, 21:23 (Ref:223227)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by facco
The other teams have no vote on letting or not race outside the qualifying rule...
i thought they did, the stewards ask the teams, and they all have to agree before letting the slowcoach's race!
Old 26 Feb 2002, 23:53 (Ref:223317)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think, and please correct me if I am wrong, that Tarso actually lapped within the required time during practice, but his car blew up before he could get within this time during quals. Under the circumstances, he did prove that he could lap within the 107% rule, and he was allowed to race after the Stewards met and discussed the position. The race steward can make this decision under exceptional circumstances, but if a team cannot show they could lap within the required time, I don't think that it would be allowed to race.
Old 27 Feb 2002, 01:00 (Ref:223349)   #10
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding of Tarso being allowed to race in Australia was that Stoddart asked the stewards and no teams objected to the application.

Also Stoddart stated that Tarso was allowed to race because he was within 107% of everyones time except for Shumis pole time which was very very quick.

If Toyota failed to qualify the following would have to happen top be allowed to race.

an application to the stewards would have to be made.
No team objects to the application.

If they where not to far outside the 107% time I think they should be able to race but if they where very slow (Lola slow) than it would be to dangerous to let them race.
Old 27 Feb 2002, 01:37 (Ref:223360)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think if Toyota fail to cut into the 107% time on qualifying due to their lack of pace, they should not be allowed into the race. Otherwise, why do we still need the rule for?

I would like to see Toyota in the races. But still, unless its down to other unique circumstances, Toyota have to earn their place on the grid.
Old 28 Feb 2002, 03:59 (Ref:224164)   #12
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the teams can let someone outside the 107% start (i.e all teams have to agree)