Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jun 2004, 18:26 (Ref:1011148)   #26
AlesiUk
Rookie

AlesiUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy
It's up to Professor Sid Watkins to decide if Ralf races or not.

I think you will find that it is not any more up to Sid alone. Sid is not allowed to make the decision without a second doctor nowdays.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 19:18 (Ref:1011197)   #27
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing how Ralf escape srious injury, here come the jokes

Magny Cours will no doubt see Ralfs best race. (asuming he's not there.

Hopefully Ralfs Indy shunt has knocked some sense into him.

Ralf was aiming for the guy in front

Ralf thought the wall was Montoya.

Ralf will be replaced by Jacques Villeneuve.

Ralf is worth $16 MILLION

Ralf is a good driver.

Ive said my peace. Get well Ralf.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 21:25 (Ref:1011343)   #28
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
that's a bit harsh, alesi95!

I personlly don't think we'll see Ralf in France or Silverstone.

What about: Gene for France and Pizzonia for Silverstone?
Unless they can "borrow" Webber (very unlikely) or call Villeneuve (don't think so - he has nothing to gain, only to loose)
Old 21 Jun 2004, 21:26 (Ref:1011345)   #29
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe that Gene's contract will virtually guarantee him the seat if Ralf is unable to take part.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 22:54 (Ref:1011455)   #30
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Word from the US is Ralf is not to bad and will return home within the next couple of days.
The word I have is he will not be eligable to race for one month and only after he passes a FIA medical exam.
Mark Gene will take over his seat until Ralf is declared fit to race.
Love him or hate him one must feel bad for him.I don't think there is a person out there that would like to see any driver in this situation or have a hit like Ralf did.

The Grumpy1
Old 22 Jun 2004, 00:00 (Ref:1011514)   #31
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This opportunity, in unfortunate circumstances, could well be Marc's chance to drive his way into a full time drive for 2005 at Williams.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 00:03 (Ref:1011518)   #32
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by gert
that's a bit harsh, alesi95!

What about: Gene for France and Pizzonia for Silverstone?
Unless they can "borrow" Webber (very unlikely) or call Villeneuve (don't think so - he has nothing to gain, only to loose)
I can almost guarantee that JV would not hesitate for a second if called upon. Yes, he has a lot to lose, but the man is an enigma, and would undoubtedly give it a go. Right or wrong.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 00:17 (Ref:1011535)   #33
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If JV got the call it would shades of John Watson replacing Lauda at McLaren in 1985. I'm hardly a JV fan but the bloke, as Kirk said, is an enigma and would add a bit of (old) spice to the next few TGF slaughters!
Old 22 Jun 2004, 00:19 (Ref:1011537)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Marc Gene, I'm sure, is contractually guaranteed the seat as reserve driver.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 03:38 (Ref:1011601)   #35
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According The Sport Telegraph, Williams have placed test drivers Marc Gene and Antonio Pizzonia on alert for the French Grand Prix, even though Ralf Schumacher was released from hospital yesterday after his 200mph crash at the United States Grand Prix.

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/sport/...2/smform22.xml
Old 22 Jun 2004, 04:20 (Ref:1011614)   #36
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
A concussion or pot-concussion syndrome is not affected by the general fitness level of the patient.

The physical confitioning undertaken by any athlete/regular person is not a factor as the concussion is all about damage to the brain tissue. There is no relation to the musculo-skeletal system.

Case in point: Hockey players. They have extremely high fitness levels. Despite that, each player who becomes concussed has varying recovery periods depending on the severity of the concussion and also their susceptability to a concussion. Eric Lindros is a good example of someone who is fairly easily concussed and because of repeated concussions is now even more apt to have one.

Much as I am not enamored with Schumi Lite, it would be a poor decision to trade a proper long-term recovery for a quick rush back for the French GP. No one wants to see a young man experience memory loss, etc.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 08:46 (Ref:1011731)   #37
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
The Guardian are speculating that it may be Villeneuve who replaces Ralf Schumacher in France.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/formulao...244480,00.html
Old 22 Jun 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1011815)   #38
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Update from Ralf Schumacher himself - courtesy of Bild:

"I saw a few scenes on the hospital television - that's it. I can't remember anything else - except for perhaps the start of the race.
I can't remember how, where, when. There's nothing there. It's as if the scenes of the accident have been erased.
Right now I need some rest, just rest. At the earliest, in a few days, I'll be able to say what's going to happen next. At the moment, I'm definitely not thinking about motor racing. I just want to go home. I want to go to my wife and son.
I had a severe concussion and a large bruise on my back - that's what hurts the most. I try to sit rather than stand up or walk."
Old 22 Jun 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1011825)   #39
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
I think, from Ralf's comment, there is big chance that Ralf will lose France GP, and maybe British GP.

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 22 Jun 2004 at 10:30.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 10:30 (Ref:1011826)   #40
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Certainly doesn't sound like someone who is raring to go - and who can blame him.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 10:34 (Ref:1011831)   #41
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I can't see Ralf racing in France or Britain, I'd have thought the bruising alone would keep him out of the French GP if he's trying to avoid walking at the moment. As far as the concussion goes I doubt if he'll be cleared to race anyway, he was concussed last year as well so they'll want to be certain he's ok before they put him back in the car, concussions aren't something to be taken lightly.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 10:53 (Ref:1011853)   #42
Kicking-back
Veteran

That Guardian article is pure speculation.

Gene has thousands of laps of experience of the current Williams car, Villeneuve doesn't.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 10:58 (Ref:1011859)   #43
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a big investigation being carried out by Professor Sid Watkins into the long-term effects of concussion on a racing driver in all levels of motorsport. I'm not sure how advanced the study is yet or whether any early results are available.

However, I predict that Professor Watkins will rule Ralf out of the French Grand Prix and will continue to assess him for several months.

In fact, I'm sure I heard something a while ago about a study into the long-term effects of an accident on a racing driver. I seem to recall it was started some years after Mika's Adelaide accident because there was concern in 1999/2000 that Mika's form could be related to some sort of Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder which manifested itself some years later. Certainly his reaction to events after the big Australia 2001 accident (which left him with a fractured helmet and concusson - he admits himself was a major deciding factor in ending his F1 career) indicates that such a thing could occur some years later.

Ignore Niki Lauda's demands for Ralf to get back into a car straight away. Okay Niki only missed 2 races after his inferno - but burns and concussion are very different conditions - and for Niki to put such pressure on a driver with a brain injury (and let's be honest here, concussion IS regarded in the medical profession as a brain injury) is extremely unhelpful and irresponsible.

The brusing is another issue. It's not clear if the bruising is external or internal. Either way, you don't muck around with the back or spine - it's your nerve centre. If that goes, then everything goes with it.

I would say that Ralf is taking the right approach. Rest and recuperation with his family (who mean the world to him) is the most important thing he can do. Why be desperate to get back to work early before being fully-recovered and then find that impatience to return has made the condition worse? He's being extremely sensible.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1011911)   #44
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, very sensible words from Ralf. I imagine he finds the fact he can't remember any of it even more scary than the accident itself.

Have a rest Ralf, spend a little quality relaxation time with the family, and don't even think about motor racing until that need for the adrenaline fix returns. We'll all still be here when you come back, so there's no need to rush it.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 18:26 (Ref:1012426)   #45
alesi95
Veteran

Gene for Magny Cours.....if not i'll eat.......Ralf.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 19:23 (Ref:1012475)   #46
alesi95
Veteran

http://www.f1i.com/articles/ARTICLE_567762.html
Old 22 Jun 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1012507)   #47
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote from Ralf about racing at Magny Cours:

"I don't think so."
Old 22 Jun 2004, 21:25 (Ref:1012635)   #48
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering how well Pizzonia did at Silverstone last year, the idea of giving them one chance each seems feasible. Returnign at his home race oculd be ideal, especially as Williams usually go well there (even after the changes) and it could be a glorious return simialr to Berger's in 1997.

If there's any doubt over his fitness, he shouldn't return. It's well-known that the cumulative effects of repeat boxing concussions is usually worse than the after-effects of all but the most severe impacts, and Ralf has looked off-form since Monza.

There's a lot that's still unknown about the after-effects, and it's worth remembering that Chronic Fatigue Syndorme (which I have, and wouldn't wish on anyone except maybe Bernie) can be caused by head injuries, and owuld be consistant with Ralf's recent history.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 21:41 (Ref:1012653)   #49
Kicking-back
Veteran

If Ralf has already signed for Toyota for 2005, maybe Gene will be racing for the rest of the season.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1012655)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think that. Ralf will be back in a Williams when fit.

However it was rumoured that the announcement would come soon. It'd be odd if it came and the driver wasn't there. I guess that the announcement would be at the German GP (Toyota's home GP in a way), in which case Ralf will probably be back.