Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 26 Feb 2003, 00:01 (Ref:517798)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So? what do clubs do for you??

But first the rules !!!!
This is not intended as a thread for you to "have-a-go" at any clubs !!!!! I would the moderators to delete any such posts. Don't ask anyone, just do it !!!

So just what is this thread about??

Well, with all the doom and gloom surrounding motorsport and especially marshalling, I think that it's high time that the clubs that do "make-an-effort" get the thanks, praise and publicity that their efforts deserve. So i'm asking you all to publicy thank any and all clubs/organisations that have actually made you want to marshal more!!!

I'll start by complementing the Prescott Hillclimb Marshals Club. For the tiny amount of £3.50 per year we are offered..

Private Compound, which offers to all marshals:
Free Tea/Coffee
Free Accomodation (complete with running water and electrics)
Bar-B-Q equipment
Fridge and Freezer
TV
Microwave
Stoves
Ovens

On top of this, they arrange a variety of Marshal's nights, with the sole aim of increasing the interaction between marshals and drivers. Anyone attending any of these events leaves, in my opinion, with both a better appreciation of what the "other" side do as well as actually getting to know more of the people involved with their sport and that can't be bad!!

Like I said, this is a POSITIVE thread and would love to hear about any other clubs, venues, championships etc that treat their marshals in a similar way.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 06:53 (Ref:517976)   #2
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well it has to be bmcrc,
no membership fee
they organise your training & liscencing
free clothing from time to time
(such as overalls, jackets, t shirts, shirts, caps)
breakfast
lunch
donation to the petrol money
atmosphere
club racing 20+ races a day national racing with a full days racing 95% of the time with full grids and gaps of the most minimal time.
and im sure there is more stuff when i have woken up a bit more.
oh and supermoto racing over the winter
Old 26 Feb 2003, 08:34 (Ref:518048)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
MMA (Motorcycle Marshals Association)
Goodie bags at most events (provided by the organising club) regular freebies, fun people, no cattle excrement....
Old 26 Feb 2003, 08:49 (Ref:518061)   #4
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do wonder how motor cycle affiliated clubs and those organisation with perhaps a lower membership base can clearly out perform the higher profile motor racing associated clubs. The BRDC was one of the few larger organisations that actually made a modest contribution to costs. Do we have any senior club officials who might like to give their side to the dicussion?
Old 26 Feb 2003, 08:59 (Ref:518066)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I think some of it might be attitude. i don't know if this applies to the UK, but in Ireland, bike racing is more of a community. Everyone pitches in from the ground up and everyone is valued.

I don't think that can always be said for car meets. A lot of drivers seem unaware of who we are or what we do (not all, obviously) and those that feel they're in the more "professional" classes tend to have a rather stand-offish attitude. I think this can rub off in other areas.

Also, bike marshal clubs tend to be smaller with less layers of "management" between them and the ground troops. It's hard to treat someone badly when you will more than likely have to spend 8 hours in the pouring rain with them a couple of weeks later.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:34 (Ref:518298)   #6
alec
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheltenham
alec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
crazystu, have you got any contacts for the Prescott club? I live in Cheltenham most of the useful part of the year, and quite fancy joining up.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:47 (Ref:518321)   #7
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 750MC made me feel very welcome, at my first meeting with them they made a point of coming to see me on post. They also gave me a patch for my overalls and a pin badge , as well as a chocoalte biscuit, drink at lunch time at of course some great racing. I am looking forward to their meetings again this season.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 14:43 (Ref:518367)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Our marshals are given a bag of foody stuff on all our events, sometimes even tea breaks as we occasionally rotate marshals, often we have other goodies to give out too. On the rally of Kent (16th march 2003 - please come) all marshals are invited to a post event get together at the service area and are given tokens for a free drink at the bar. Also we run a large marshals draw with the top prize being a driving day at brands hatch and loads of other bits and bobs, hats, jackets, screenwash etc etc.

Our lot seem to be happy with that, though on the joint BARC/sevenoaks meeting at lydden last year we gave out our usual bags of munch and barc gave them all a couple of quid to spend on munch! some very well fed guys on the bank that day.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 17:19 (Ref:518468)   #9
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by alec
crazystu, have you got any contacts for the Prescott club? I live in Cheltenham most of the useful part of the year, and quite fancy joining up.
The Chief Marshal and the rest of us would welcome you with open arms. Contact him on: Simon Nettell or 01386-882448 and tell give my name. That way I earn "brownie points"
Old 26 Feb 2003, 17:42 (Ref:518489)   #10
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well for the Lawnmower 12hr which is a charity event and no money goes back to the club this is what all the marshals get:
A food goody bag and last year they were so big marshals took alot of extra bits home.Also a sponsers goody bag.
A voucher to use on the food wagon during the event. A free sew on club badge.
A BBQ is done during the race and is free for all marshals to go up as many times as they want.
hot and cold drinks during the 12hr free No limit + red bull.
During the drivers prize ceremony the marshals are presented with medals(I emphasise during and not after as an afterthought whilst all the teams are there.)
And if it rains free mud!!.
This is an example of a small organisation respecting and thanking the marshals for there hard work and it is Believe me if you dont come and try it.
Also lets not forget that the MG car club sent all the marshals that had done meetings for them a good quality flask, the plaques at every meeting, a couple of £'s and a free cap.
BARC are looking at marshals incentives and have mentioned some at the training day last week.
BRSCC SE a free raffle at the end of each meeting.
SEMSEC do a free raffle and on Saturdays and Bank Holiday Mondays lay on food and hot/ cold drinks.
Drinks are available at all SEMSEC meetings.
And every Rally I go to marshals seem to be well catered for in the way of food bags, souvineers
and raffles.
Regards,
Richard S.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 19:17 (Ref:518558)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
A copy of something I posted in another thread:

>>As for what we receive from the clubs, that, again, varies. It does seem to be that the bigger the meeting the less marshals are appreciated. Apart from a programme & a raffle, big meetings like TOCA, F3/GT etc., give nothing to the marshals. Jaguar Car Club gives £10/day, 750MC gives a soft drink & a Penguin biscuit or similar, at BRSCCNW & BARC NW clubbies we get a drink after the meeting, in addition to which both of these clubs give regular marshals free tickets to their annual dinner, MGCC gave a hat & a small self-adhesive plaque, Racesafe supplies overalls......the list goes on......<<

.....and I agree with sss (now there's a first!); no club, on two wheels or four, looks after its marshals better than Bemsee; I can't think of another club that would get us to Snet or Brands - or Anglesey in February!
Old 26 Feb 2003, 19:48 (Ref:518589)   #12
sss
Veteran

England
well thanks for agreeing, the bribe was worth it, it amases me how the club can pay for all these treats yet others cant, is it because of profit hording or mis management? i know that the bemsee director was told that he bribes his marshals after seeing the turnout at a supermoto round over the winter when we were getting the number bods in orange that you would expect in the summer, and he replied yes, but he knows that he isnt very often short of marshals, the majority are regulars whom he can trust to run efficient meetings and travel from lydden to angelsey and beyond and they are dedicated to the club in all weathers 12 months a year. and i have to say that with in the marshalling community one of the best atmospheres
Old 26 Feb 2003, 20:33 (Ref:518651)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
try a sevenoaks meeting at north weald, we get competitors to miss a round of the marketing machine speed league and marshal. Alway a good atmo
Old 26 Feb 2003, 20:35 (Ref:518653)   #14
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Beardy359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A word I think for the BARC. They make it possible to pay for membership for a relatively low number of days work, with the balance taken in regalia if in credit. They organise a variety of events (French trip,hill-climbs,sprints and even the Sunseeker Rally), some of which are subsidised. Regular marshals draws, free tickets to their Big Night Out for qualifying marshals and a very friendly and approachable bunch as well!
Old 26 Feb 2003, 21:37 (Ref:518711)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by sss
well thanks for agreeing, the bribe was worth it, it amases me how the club can pay for all these treats yet others cant, is it because of profit hording or mis management?
Ssshh.....don't let Pixie know you've bribed me.....he thinks he's the only one who's doing that! Is the problem with other clubs that they can't, or that they don't want to, treat their marshals like Bemsee does?

Quote:
know that the bemsee director was told that he bribes his marshals after seeing the turnout at a supermoto round over the winter when we were getting the number bods in orange that you would expect in the summer, and he replied yes, but he knows that he isnt very often short of marshals,
Nobody bribed us to do Anglesey; let's just say that we got more than we expected from that meeting!

Quote:
and i have to say that with in the marshalling community one of the best atmospheres
It's the atmosphere that makes Bemsee such an enjoyable club to marshal for; the other benefits are just the icing on the cake.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 26 Feb 2003 at 21:38.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 22:29 (Ref:518749)   #16
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What.....what.......What........ Bribery and Corruption, I thought it was only Bigyin doing that in his Film Role

Now I find its endemic in the force. Well I hope it was more than the Jelly Babies he gave me

Its because we consider ourselves Family that we all get on so well.

Right I'm off to the Solicitors for a Divorce

Last edited by pixie; 26 Feb 2003 at 22:32.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 03:19 (Ref:518868)   #17
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
last year members of my club were asked to contribute to buy large umbrellas for the marshalls on course at open posts
Old 27 Feb 2003, 09:11 (Ref:519047)   #18
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A number of Clubs have schemes whereby attendees at meetings can get varying amounts off their membership renewal fees. So what, sounds a bit like nothing for something. You can still do their meetings without being a club member. As for the nights out yes great fun free if you've done the prescribed number of meetings, but most are held for presentations to competitors. The food is free, but you will probably find the drinks bill [and perhaps the overnight accommodation] a bit steep
Old 27 Feb 2003, 09:13 (Ref:519049)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by pixie
What.....what.......What........ Bribery and Corruption, I thought it was only Bigyin doing that in his Film Role
Bigyin's at it as well?

Quote:
Now I find its endemic in the force. Well I hope it was more than the Jelly Babies he gave me
How many times do we have to tell you......don't take sweeties off those men in the van!

Quote:
Its because we consider ourselves Family that we all get on so well.
We consider ourselves sort of distant cousins.....

Quote:
Right I'm off to the Solicitors for a Divorce
Who gets custody of the syrup?

Last edited by Dave Brand; 27 Feb 2003 at 09:14.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 09:19 (Ref:519057)   #20
sss
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by avsfan733
last year members of my club were asked to contribute to buy large umbrellas for the marshalls on course at open posts
the first year we went to croix, the weather was a little bit on the warm side and as you know there are not many shelters to go and hide from the sun, whilst we were being feed with copious amounts of water the race office put a tannoy out for anyone who could lend umbrelas for the marshals to hide under, we ended up with more than one per marshal and sheets etc to hide under, it really makes you appreciate how much a paddock can help if you ask
Old 27 Feb 2003, 12:45 (Ref:519252)   #21
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bigyin's at it as well?
Rent the video or DVD of The 51st State (very funny film) and tell me that ain't Bigyin's twin brother as the bent CID Officer

Last edited by pixie; 27 Feb 2003 at 12:46.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 17:44 (Ref:526814)   #22
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apart from the aquaduct, the wine, the sanitation... what have the marshals clubs ever done for US?
Old 6 Mar 2003, 23:13 (Ref:527114)   #23
sss
Veteran

England
the wine, they gave us some rather rank red wine the first year i went to croix in the lunch pack
Old 7 Mar 2003, 02:03 (Ref:527231)   #24
nunga
Rookie

nunga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well depends on which clubs are racing to what they give us in SA. Some look after us real well, some make us supply our own.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 08:35 (Ref:527482)   #25
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I am still actively seeking a club that will undertake to send semi-naked dancing men out on post with me to fan me with palm leaves and keep me entertained between races. Can anyone confirm if any clubs are offering this option this year?