Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Should all touring car series follow the same rules?
Yes 5 83.33%
No 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Jun 2001, 12:34 (Ref:111454)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should all Touring car series follow the same rules?

over the last two years the face other touring cars has changed dramatically with the end of the super touring this year. The rules for the BTCC , DTM and ESPC are all different this year but the ETCC will be BTCC based next season. But , if all the series were the same then we could have more teams in each series and possibly a WTC series. In the WSBK when they arrive in a different country wild cards enter the series and race which increase field sizes. If we had a WTC series we could do the same thing in touring cars with teams from the host countries touring car teams entering the World series and racing against th best in the world. This series wouls attract the likes of BMW as it would ba an international series.
Old 30 Jun 2001, 14:11 (Ref:111476)   #2
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also costing MILLIONs of £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Old 30 Jun 2001, 18:45 (Ref:111526)   #3
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A standard formula would be ideal and would provide lower costs and probably more entrants. However, the downside is that many parts of the worlds have different ideas of TC racing e.g. i can't see the new TC rules taking off in North America, just like ST didn't. And a standard formula reduces variety; i'm glad ST's live on in Sweden!
Old 30 Jun 2001, 23:06 (Ref:111617)   #4
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some would say that in an Ideal world all the rules should be standard, others shudder at the thought. Iguess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

If the rules were to be standardised I still don't think that this alone would increase entries into the BTCC straight away.

I think that the manufacturers are likeley to concentrate on the bigger series, and enter "last years cars" into the national series, thus automatically making them second string series.

Not Good.
Old 1 Jul 2001, 05:36 (Ref:111666)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIKB wrote:

>I think that the manufacturers are likeley to concentrate on the >bigger series, and enter "last years cars" into the national series, >thus automatically making them second string series.
>
But last year's cars can still be pretty competitive. And we're always assuming "relativity" right? As long as all the cars are within a few years or less of each other, the racing should remain competitive and exciting???

But I agree, in an ideal world, we sould have SP, ST and DTM in ascending order of $$$/high tech!! But sighh...
Old 1 Jul 2001, 08:44 (Ref:111679)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know what to decide as there are pluses(?) and minuses to each reason. If you go for 'universal' rules, then we could have a Touring Car World Cup, but then some people in some countries wouldn't like it and that country(s) championship would be dead.
If we don't go for universal rules then our championships may not ever take off at all.
Old 1 Jul 2001, 10:16 (Ref:111700)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in a perfect world Group A would still be around.....

i think it is possible to have the same rules in every country, and i hope the new ETC rules are adopted everywhere. I think it can work if you aim the championship at the right people, eg if you had an American series you would aim it more at Sportscar fans than people who watch NASCAR, or down here in Australia the championship should have been aimed at new people to racing, not to try and rival and steal fans from V8s

Hopefully the new rules will be adopted in the Southern Hemisphere and the ETC goes well so we can have a more successful WTCC than the 1987 one