Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Oct 2002, 16:16 (Ref:403983)   #26
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going off-topic briefly, apparently the "di" bit in Montezemolo's name is a mistake, a misconception, apparently. Just like Arturo Merzario, it's Arturio.

Anyway. I haven't got a problem with Ferrari's dominance but like many people I agree with the "cake theory".
Old 14 Oct 2002, 16:22 (Ref:403987)   #27
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is a marquis I believe.. :confused:
Old 14 Oct 2002, 16:24 (Ref:403991)   #28
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Luca Di Montezemolo a marquis?
Old 14 Oct 2002, 16:24 (Ref:403994)   #29
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is a marquis something like a baron or a count?
Old 14 Oct 2002, 16:25 (Ref:403995)   #30
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Yeah.

I mean yeah - like a baron or count. Not quite sure if he is a marquis, but I don't find strange the "di" particle in his name.

Last edited by Red; 14 Oct 2002 at 16:27.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 16:27 (Ref:404000)   #31
ASCII Man
Veteran

Well then, i don't think so...
Heard something about Luca being a noblety(or so), but i don't think so...
Old 14 Oct 2002, 16:51 (Ref:404014)   #32
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Liz

Could you please point out which part of Ferrari being miles ahead of the other teams is due to their swapping first and second places (in either direction)?

Your argument makes no sense whatsoever, and only serves to muddy the debate.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 17:02 (Ref:404024)   #33
ASCII Man
Veteran

Its not that strange, there's a di Livio, di Lorenzo and so on...
Old 14 Oct 2002, 17:05 (Ref:404026)   #34
ASCII Man
Veteran

Its the same as Robin of Locksley for example, and doesn't perse apply to noblety...
Old 14 Oct 2002, 17:07 (Ref:404028)   #35
ASCII Man
Veteran

Not that it matters...
Old 15 Oct 2002, 02:03 (Ref:404396)   #36
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
Luca Di Montezemolo a marquis?
According to his Bio., the full name is Luca Cordero di Montezemolo. the "di" is common in many Latin coutries and doesn't imply nobility necessarily.

Having said that, it's not that Luca needs it. He's been a protegee of probably the most powerful man in italy... Gianni Agnelli, the former head of Fiat, also known as L'Avvocato (The Barrister or The Attorney). Not too well known over here in NASCAR land (or many other parts of the world, for that matter), L'Avvocato once beat the Pope in an italian popularity poll.

My guess is that Luca is enjoying all the fuss, as it hugely enhances the Ferrari legend and $$value. It's all about money and they're getting a bazzillion dollars worth of free publicity...
Old 15 Oct 2002, 02:52 (Ref:404414)   #37
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not about their putzing around with who gets across the line first or even if they decide to park the car for five laps and then get out there and lap the field thumbing their noses all the way.

It's the way they gloat.

I don't know if you, glen, ever played any sports or ran in any races, but there is absolutely nothing more disgusting than the guy who hogs all the cake and then jeers at the othesr because he's got all the cake and they haven't got any. This is certainly true -- he has got all the cake -- and because he's bigger and has longer arms, and maybe because it's his birthday -- he's got it because he was able to grab it all for himself. And yes Ferrari have won everything, fairly or unfairly, and big deal of the western world ... but what I can't stand about them is that instead of being graceful winners like McLaren were, they gloat.

When Senna and Prost were winning everything, they didn't jeer at the rest of the field by going out of their way to make the rest of the field look ridiculous. (Admittedly they were busy racing each other, but that's so old fashioned.) And nobody at McLaren, as I remember it, said pointedly and openly that they would continue to fix races so their drivers got the required results, as long as it suited them to do it, and they were sure their fans would "understand."

Personally I dislike people who gloat, who flaunt their success, and who show off. It proves they're not used to success or having nice things.

Last edited by Liz; 15 Oct 2002 at 02:54.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 03:58 (Ref:404425)   #38
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love it. A total Ferrari white-wash. FANTASTIC!

Interesting how so many people are panicking. It won't last forever. Infact, sure they'll be strong next year, but 2004?

Quote:
they didn't jeer at the rest of the field by going out of their way to make the rest of the field look ridiculous
??
Old 15 Oct 2002, 04:08 (Ref:404428)   #39
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Getting back to the subject of this thread, I think I already covred this with a post onteh 28 votes thread. I think that all the 4 top teams have to do is to say they do not support the 9 point plan, and will pull out of F1 if it is implemented, the whole thing will fall apart. The point here is that without the top 4, nobody will watch F1.
This whole thing was either ill conceived (which I don't think so), or incredibly clever. Somebody else pointed out already that when the 9 point plan is rejected, Max & Bernie will simply wash their hands of the whole thing and blame the teams. When you think of it, if Max & Bernie really wanted to put this forward for passage, they would have lobbied at least the 7 works teams to sound them out before blurting it out to an incredulous press. I think these two guys have outsmarted everyone else this time. However, F1 will not benefit from this debacle.

Valve
Old 15 Oct 2002, 06:12 (Ref:404455)   #40
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Ferrari boss theatens Ferrari may quit

Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Montezemolo, as reported in Gazzetta dello Sport, when asked about Max and Bernie's silly 9 point plan: "If this happens, Ferrari may look for stimuli in other racing series... but in the end, I believe common sense will prevail."
Looks like I'm missing something here...

This quote sounds to me as if he meant either that Ferrari would enter some other racing series, or that Ferrari would put more effort into another racing series.
In fact he doesn't even say that Ferrari will "look for stimuli in other racing series" if the 9 points plan is implemented (he's just saying that they may).

Where does it say that Ferrari might quit Formula One?
Old 15 Oct 2002, 06:15 (Ref:404457)   #41
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
C'mon Don K, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story
Old 15 Oct 2002, 07:28 (Ref:404503)   #42
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
ever played any sports or ran in any races, but there is absolutely nothing more disgusting than the guy who hogs all the cake
Does Bridge count? In Bridge, Belladonna was what Fangio was for F1. Guess what, he did quite the same things. For example I remember a deal when he had to play a tricky 3 no trumps. He had the contract quite nicely by the trick number 6-7, but then decided to make fools of the opponents. He played such a game that at the last trick he kept an Ace to lead, he had another Ace in the dummy and all of the opponents had to discard the remaining 2 aces. It certainly was not needed (actually he renounced an extra-trick by doing that, if I remember correctly) but he did it because he could!! And that happened in a Bermuda Bowl I believe. One of my favorite deals...

Last edited by Red; 15 Oct 2002 at 07:30.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 08:11 (Ref:404536)   #43
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Does Bridge count? In Bridge, Belladonna was what Fangio was for F1. Guess what, he did quite the same things. For example I remember a deal when he had to play a tricky 3 no trumps. He had the contract quite nicely by the trick number 6-7, but then decided to make fools of the opponents. He played such a game that at the last trick he kept an Ace to lead, he had another Ace in the dummy and all of the opponents had to discard the remaining 2 aces. It certainly was not needed (actually he renounced an extra-trick by doing that, if I remember correctly) but he did it because he could!! And that happened in a Bermuda Bowl I believe. One of my favorite deals...
:confused: The only bridge I know about is Bridge Corner at Silverstone.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 08:16 (Ref:404541)   #44
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari quitting F1 would be like, er.... nope, can't think of anything that could compare to it. Bennett leaving the Bronco's perhaps?
Old 15 Oct 2002, 10:05 (Ref:404620)   #45
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Or Tallis leaving the Broncos? Or Wendell Sailor leaving the Broncos!!

Valve
Old 15 Oct 2002, 10:08 (Ref:404624)   #46
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
This whole story is creative Journalism at it's best, askied a stupid question, he gave a stupid answer.

He knows as well as anybody very few (if any) of these ideas will come to fruition. What he's saying is if they did, Ferrari, like almost every other team, would say goodbye.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 10:26 (Ref:404642)   #47
Colin Mason
Rookie

Colin Mason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Montezemolo should grow up. He is afraid that Ferrari are just going to loose for once. He is acting like a spoilt child who isnt getting his own way, anyone agree?

Last edited by Colin Mason; 15 Oct 2002 at 10:27.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 10:26 (Ref:404643)   #48
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
One question here. Would the implementation of this 9 point plan abbrogate the concord agreement? If so, the teams could very well say goodbye (like Wrex says) and start their own championship.

Valve
Old 15 Oct 2002, 10:29 (Ref:404645)   #49
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridge? - Dunlop Bridge, Le Mans.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 10:29 (Ref:404647)   #50
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
No. Under current Concorde agreement they should vote them and respect the contract. But that surely means that a renewal of the Concorde will NOT be made for 2008 so the "Alternate series" would become a reality. But common sense will prevail in the end.

I guess.

I hope.