Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Jan 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1211814)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
From TedN's Link:
And a lot of the real auto-racing fans have been waiting for that track map and seating manifest... That happens today at edmontonchampcar.com.
Well, perhaps they spoke too soon, as no track map has appeared yet. They certainly know the layout already, as they're billing it as 1.96-miles. All that I can find is that the ChampCars will use the northeast quadrant of the airport.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 02:18 (Ref:1212405)   #2
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The racingcircuits.net site has a layout diagram of the new airport course for the Edmonton race.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 23:08 (Ref:1215058)   #3
extreme
Rookie

Canada
Edmonton, AB
extreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It apears that the folks from the Edmonton Champ Car race have posted the map for the track
Old 2 Feb 2005, 02:58 (Ref:1215151)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
That's not the layout that I was expecting.
The bottom-part of that map looks quite alot like Cleveland, though. T1 should be exciting!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 03:04 (Ref:1215154)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Would anybody be able to find an aerial-view of the airport?
Old 2 Feb 2005, 03:32 (Ref:1215159)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
The answer is yes... I would!
So nevermind my last question.

Here's an aerial photo - Click on it to enlarge.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 04:23 (Ref:1215170)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I've superimposed the track layout over the photo.
Take a look.

It's true that they're only using the NE quadrant of the airport.
And that's because it's true that they're leaving a runway open.

Their website's claim of 320 Km/h (200 mph) may also prove to be true. That looks like a pretty-mean straightaway. They're sure gonna have to build one heckuva tire barrier to prevent the high-speed T10 from carrying straight into T14.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 05:02 (Ref:1215182)   #8
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turns 10 through 1 look a lot like Cleveland, but 2 & 3 kind remind me of an F1 chicane. I wonder how many real passing zones there will be? Does any one know how wide the track is from turns 3 through 8?

Out of all the new tracks in any series this one excites me more than just about any except for St. Pete. in '03.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1215460)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is getting pretty exciting. Can't wait for this race. Turn 10 looks like it's going to be the best place for overtaking. Long straight leading into a corner with alot of room on the exit. Turn 1 could be an issue, a bit of a funnel there.
God this off-season is long!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 2 Feb 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1215662)   #10
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So the blue part on your map is the pitlane, right, Macdaddy? Hmm. Wonder if the official map is right in that there looks to be a shortcut from T10 to T13, like a "back door". And the twisty bits do look narrow, if the map indicates the width of the track correctly.

Oh well, I'm planning to see it myself in July. I can wait that long... really I can, I know it, honest. I hear you, Enemy-ace! In an effort to slow the racing withdrawal process, I'm off to southern California tomorrow for an SCCA event. And I already have my plane tickets for Long Beach.

keke
Old 2 Feb 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1215683)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
According to the map link that extreme has provided, that blue area does desingnate pitlane. It's difficult to determine the track width, it would appear that they attempted to draw that map with a perspective leaning toward the horizon. But on the aerial photo, it would seem that the width of the "twisty bits" is comparable to that of the freeway on the left.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1215784)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks like a pretty decent track. There should be some passing and the "twisty bits" will help to ensure that different setups/drivers will be more competitive.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1215825)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really like the layout, much better than Cleveland, I think it has a really nice flow of turns.

BTW, Dov! What are the chances of you still attending the race?

Last edited by luke; 2 Feb 2005 at 19:54.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 00:26 (Ref:1216061)   #14
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a nice track layout. My seats will be great. Thanks for the aerial overview Macdaddy.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 00:34 (Ref:1216065)   #15
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to let anyone who is interested know, I just looked at the website for the carshow in Edmonton this weekend and there will be quite the booth promoting the Champcar race. There will be a Champcar and a Toyota Atlantic car there and Alex Tagliani will be there Thursday, Friday and Saturday signing autographs and promoting the race.
I will be there Saturday, I want to try out the race simulator that they will have there at the booth. For anyone interested the website is
http://www.emdacars.com/motorshow200...-champcar.html
Old 3 Feb 2005, 03:34 (Ref:1216107)   #16
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I'm planning to go to that. Hopefully Alex is around when I do... That would rock.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 04:16 (Ref:1216114)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no no no
they have so much much more room and something to make it so exciting. airport races are usually good, but if flights are cancelled this weekend for the race- use it all and make it a crazy speed and braking for the brave
Old 3 Feb 2005, 04:33 (Ref:1216121)   #18
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
There will be a Champcar and a Toyota Atlantic car there and Alex Tagliani will be there Thursday, Friday and Saturday signing autographs and promoting the race.
The Champ Car is just a rolling chasis. The Edmonton promoters purchased it from Forsythe. Their plan was to leave it in Forsythe colors but their event photographer said that since Tag is going to be standing in front of it for 4 days then it shouldn't be another teams colors. The car was to be painted earlier this week.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 04:43 (Ref:1216123)   #19
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Well, perhaps they spoke too soon, as no track map has appeared yet. They certainly know the layout already, as they're billing it as 1.96-miles. All that I can find is that the ChampCars will use the northeast quadrant of the airport.
I had this on my site just after Christmas. This is the layout that Edmonton sent Champ Car for approval:

Click here

Last edited by macdaddy; 3 Feb 2005 at 13:55. Reason: Imbedded image too large.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 07:57 (Ref:1216147)   #20
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I really like the layout, much better than Cleveland, I think it has a really nice flow of turns.

BTW, Dov! What are the chances of you still attending the race?
I'm still hoping to go, but right now the chances of me going is 50/50........ i'll have a better idea once spring rolls around.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1217019)   #21
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with gttouring, they should have used more of the runways and had something with really long straightaways and big braking zones. I don't think the course is bad, just think it could have been better.

I will definitley be there! I wonder where GA ticket holders will have access to?
Old 4 Feb 2005, 02:12 (Ref:1217072)   #22
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of us are angry that ChampCar isn't using more of the runways. I created a track that is basically an extension of the current track. After the twisty section, the track makes a run down towards the currently unused runway. The runway will be split down the middle using a wall (whether it be tires, concrete, whatever). The drivers will drive down the left side of the runway with the wall to their right. About half way down the runway, the drivers make a very tight turn to the right around the wall, much like the final corner at Long Beach. The track finally makes a left turn rejoining the current circuit. The yellow piece is part of the current circuit that is not used. What do you all think of my changes?

Last edited by mandretti39; 4 Feb 2005 at 02:13.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 05:15 (Ref:1217134)   #23
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
Some of us are angry that ChampCar isn't using more of the runways. I created a track that is basically an extension of the current track. ..... What do you all think of my changes?
Oh, a lot better. But i think the airport is required to keep one runway open for airtraffic. Just like in St.Petersburg, where they could have created a way better track using both runways. I've read a while ago that this is a requirement for airports.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 06:24 (Ref:1217156)   #24
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Burke Lakefront Airport is shut right down. They're on a strict schedule though - planes are landing within hours after the checkered flag. In Edmonton's case, it's been a stipulation since the get-go that one runway remain open for the entire weekend. Can't really compare them though, as they're obviously under different federal jurisdictions.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1217521)   #25
extreme
Rookie

Canada
Edmonton, AB
extreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might put a little perspective on the reason why they keep one runway open....

The airport is used quite a lot for air abmulance flights. If you shut down the track it could mean somebody's life. That is probablly a little grim but it is reality.

On a side note... This is roughly (if not) the same track that they used when cascar raced in Edmonton about 8 years ago. That was a good track and i dont think anybody will acutally be disapointed with the way the race comes off...

But hey its just my 2 cents