Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Dec 2000, 03:04 (Ref:54511)   #1
racer10
Rookie

racer10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

What is the worth of the worlds driving championship. aka the Formula 1 championship. Lets analyze. Formula 1 is less competitive now than ever. Essentially only 2 men have a chance at a championship. TGF and Mikar. So really they are only racing each other because some of the other capable drivers such as Button, Trulli, and Fisi, their cars would never allow them to contest a championship. Coultard and Barrichelo will never win one because they are too busy pulling over for their teammates. So in theory in order for Schumi or Hakky to win, they just have to beat each other. Can they feel real joy and accomplishment after giving a beating to a Williams or Jaguar? I think not. It would be like Juan Pablo going to a kiddie go kart track and winning. He would be excited he won, but the value the win would carry is next to nothing. Surely the championship would mean more to Schumi or Mika if it were hotly contested with an array of talented drivers in faster cars. The more hard fought the championship is, the more it means. Please reply.
Old 28 Dec 2000, 04:05 (Ref:54514)   #2
Katie
Rookie

Katie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I'm a Schumacher/Ferrari fan, so for the last few years, I really didn't care how they won the championship, just as long as they won. But if I can remove myself from this wish now that they have won, I do agree that it would be a better win if more contenders existed. I realize this more each time I go back and watch races from the mid-late 1980's. There were more potential winners then than there are now (with the exception of 1988 of course). It would be great to see at least a 4 man fight to the championship.
Old 28 Dec 2000, 06:44 (Ref:54522)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I agree that it would be fantastic to see 4 or more drivers going at it for the championship, however to Ferrari & Mclaren, the contructors championship is important too. Should they design slower cars so everyone else can keep up.

TGF & Mika may have an advantage over drivers in slower cars, but didnt they EARN that drive. I can't see Ferrari paying TGF so much $$$$$$ when they could get Fisi or Button etc for a fraction of the price if they were as good.

Of course being world champion is important because you drove yourself to the top of the teams and won.