Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:13 (Ref:719455)   #1
Megatron
Rookie

Megatron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where will Pilbeam fall in the P1 or P2?

The Pilbeam is a bit of a car that is in the middle of the new formula for P1 and P2 next year. Yes, the car was built as an alumium (non carbon) SRPII but was also heavily modfied and given a new engine to compete (or hope to) with the MG and/or DBA.

When the new regs come in next year, will Pilbeam continue to try and be up with the big boys or will they go back to P2?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:40 (Ref:719498)   #2
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since it is a 675, it would be in LMP1 I believe.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 15:18 (Ref:719629)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
LMP1, unless they extensively rework the car.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:04 (Ref:719680)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If it IS LMP1, the Pilbeam teams will get slaughtered.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:10 (Ref:719683)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aren't they getting slaughtered anyway
Old 15 Sep 2003, 17:23 (Ref:719757)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As it is now, it will be an LMP1; could be that they'll revise it, and run in LMP2, though.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 18:13 (Ref:719807)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is my understanding that "revising" a chassis from 2003 specs to 2004 specs would be a major undertaking....which is what it would take to be eligible as an LMP2....

I'm not convinced that it can be done easily on an existing chassis....

Now if Pilbeam wants to take what they have learned from their recent revisions to the chassis, and utilize those elements in a new chassis that they can sell, or maybe create a partnership with the die-hard ALMS and FIA-SCC teams who have run their cars in the past, that is another story altogether....

But I don't believe that Pilbeam can create a "Conversion Kit" for their existing chassis...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could've sworn that MulsanneMike has said in earlier threads that this whole conversion concept would be difficult at best....I trust Mike as a reliable source....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 18:17 (Ref:719817)   #8
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems to me all the LM675 cars, except for the Lola/MGs will be put to pasture, as they won't be very competitive in LMP1 and would require too much costly modification to be able to run in LMP2...not worth bothering for most teams..
Old 15 Sep 2003, 19:02 (Ref:719904)   #9
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking that too, the LMP 675 concept is a bit swayed as far as the cars go...

As far as the Pilbeam, the Euro teams that run the SRP2 Pilbeams would still be LM2s would they not? Just the Bucknum Pilbeam being considered a 1? It doesnt seem like the mods. were that successful, although it did qualify much better than the past at Laguna!!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 19:03 (Ref:719905)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by dretceterini
It seems to me all the LM675 cars, except for the Lola/MGs will be put to pasture, as they won't be very competitive in LMP1 and would require too much costly modification to be able to run in LMP2...not worth bothering for most teams..
Let's not forget about the DBA, it should be competitive.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 19:08 (Ref:719918)   #11
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah, youre right, it is competitve as both a 675 and a 900 (well SRP1)
Old 15 Sep 2003, 19:12 (Ref:719925)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ccybersdorf: since it is a 675 it'll be placed in 900?
which cars actually made the 675 minimum? what i would like to bring to your attention is that these cars cn go in any direction as most were portly and weighed in at over 730kg... so the pilbeam can put on some ballast weight and actually end up a 750
Old 15 Sep 2003, 19:23 (Ref:719942)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
gttouring - take a browse through some of the threads here. MuslanneMike provided very concise detail as to why this is not so simple. It is not just weight, there is a requirement in LMP750 that would somehow require a full redesign of the underside of the cars, at least that is how I remember it.

Most LMP675's will be obsolete.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 19:40 (Ref:719958)   #14
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Annoying anti edit function.

Quote:
The current crop of cars would require extensive modification to meet the new LMP2 rules (or LMP1 for that matter) The ACO has substantially changed the overhangs at both ends of the car from the 2003 ruleset. Enough that it would require new tubs on the carbon fiber chassis cars, and new crash testing, not to mention the changes to the cockpit area (double roll hoops).
Found this in the archives.....
Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:18 (Ref:720060)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for finding that, Fogelhund....I couldn't remember the specifics but I knew that the changes were substantial....

Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:38 (Ref:720076)   #16
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
[B]ccybersdorf: since it is a 675 it'll be placed in 900?
gttouring: no, since it is a 675 it'll be placed in LMP1.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:50 (Ref:720088)   #17
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
The main issue converting a '03 spec car to '04 is the underfloor rules. The new "tunnel/diffuser" now begins some 1000 mm in front of the rear wheel (as opposed to at the rear wheel centerline for '03 and later). The downforce-reducing/yaw-stability-increasing chamfer that runs down the side of the car also is a major change. Essentially the outer edge of the car is some 100 mm above the reference plane as the chamfer's 7 degree angle bring's that point up.

So for next year till '05, your options are to continue to run your '03 car in '03 spec., or build a new car to '04 spec.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 22:10 (Ref:720102)   #18
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Thanks Mike.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 02:15 (Ref:720221)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

ah yes i see now
and Cybers quite correct, sorry. 900 is going to be named LMP1
the more descriptive term LMP900 i rather am fond of as LMP1 has shades or SRP1, SRP2 ala Grand Am
Old 16 Sep 2003, 02:16 (Ref:720222)   #20
gttouring
Veteran

or is it SR1 and SR2 and DP poop?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 02:28 (Ref:720226)   #21
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The DBA will have to race in LMP1 without rather major modifications, as will the Lola/MGs.

Again, I can't really see people making the modifications needed to race any curreny LM675/SR2 car in LMP2 next year.

There are rumors R&S is now working on a LMP2 car for next year.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 13:18 (Ref:720701)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hey doc, any connection to the Jon Lewis news?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Sep 2003, 20:02 (Ref:722289)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That connection would seem logical, but who knows...