Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Jun 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3093798)   #1676
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Very surprising the amount of GTE mechanical problems, only 1 car didn't go back into garage, the #51.

Perhaps teams are pushing so hard for performance that reliability is being sacrificed?
I think 59 didn't have any issues at all as well, except the moronic fuel miscalculation on the first stint, I mean that was the most idoitic thig I've seen at Le Mans ever... Well, maybe Risi running out of fue with a few corrners from victory at Pettit is better
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3093837)   #1677
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Footage of Motoyama trying to fix the Deltawing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJylUpzQ-iQ
Amazing.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3093846)   #1678
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Davidson's accident!! At those speeds not even the Fin and the holes will keep the car off the ground. The flat floor effect is too much.
The right rear wheel on the Toyota broke off and that is why the car lifted off. The fin is designed to keep the car on the ground when it goes sideways.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3093851)   #1679
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The right rear wheel on the Toyota broke off and that is why the car lifted off. The fin is designed to keep the car on the ground when it goes sideways.
The fin didn't work while the car was going side ways. When the car lost it's left rear wheel, the right front end of the car lifted up enough for the air to get underneath it and flip it. This series of stills is pretty good at showing what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
Old 17 Jun 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3093852)   #1680
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Actually the left rear tire is the one that broke off. And that was not on the side facing the air that would cause the car to flip like that. The fin and holes are designed to increase the minimum takeoff speed when the car is sideways at speed but Davidson was just entering the breaking zone and well above the speed that the fin and holes would be effective at. Hence flipping but thankfully landing right side up.

^
and also the Fin does work. Only to a certain speed
Old 17 Jun 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3093854)   #1681
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The fin didn't work while the car was going side ways. When the car lost it's left rear wheel, the right front end of the car lifted up enough for the air to get underneath it and flip it. This series of stills is pretty good at showing what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
The car would have flipped regardless of whether the left rear wheel was missing or not. The speed was to high and the fin is ineffective at those speeds coming into the corner.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3093855)   #1682
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The car would have flipped regardless of whether the left rear wheel was missing or not. The speed was to high and the fin is ineffective at those speeds coming into the corner.
Maybe but with all four wheels on the ground I doubt the right front end would have lifted up as much as it did or at all and the fin would have been more effective, as the car traveled side ways.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3093856)   #1683
Articus
Veteran

Worth mentioning. Where does the #2 Audi go from here? I think the #1 car is now the strongest lineup...Well maybe I could beg that they swap Fassler for Duval in the #1 car...
Old 17 Jun 2012, 23:44 (Ref:3093864)   #1684
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If they plan to keep the AM drivers, which I think they should, the ACO really needs to get a rule out stating that the faster cars can't under any circumstances pass a slower car while cutting the racing line...( with heavy penalties in case they do)..

Yeah it was AF corsa drivers fault, but in his defense, he is an amateur, he probably didn't except him to be there

It's seems like he just turned into the coner not knowing that davidson was there..

I'mean miscalculations happen all the time to professionals, just look at Romas Dumas, and McNish, you can't really expect Amatours to not make mistakes...

IMO It's always the experienced professionals drivers fault... I mean seriously, when you drive your car on roads, you never expect everyone will drive by the rules, you always watch out that some idiot will make a mistake and cost you your life...same thing here, you know they can't drive, or judge closing speeds as racing drivers should, so you look at them as hazards, you respect them, you don't go diving into corrners fealing assured he is gonna do everything right
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 23:58 (Ref:3093873)   #1685
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Worth mentioning. Where does the #2 Audi go from here? I think the #1 car is now the strongest lineup...Well maybe I could beg that they swap Fassler for Duval in the #1 car...
Well, I think the Audi Le Mans challenge is going to look different in 2013. Hypothetically, 2 of the 3 or 4 Audi cars may have significant changes. Let's look at #3. That is essentially the Porsche car. If Hindy is right, guys like Dumas and Bernhard will be gone to Porsche due to their factory driver obligations. Gene and Duval will likely be retained, and may be paired with 1 of the 2 non-retiring vets (McNish or Kristensen). The #4 car is the future of Audi at Le Mans, and I suspect this trio will remain the same (Jarvis, Bonanomi, Rockenfeller). They also did very well in the race in terms of being relatively trouble-free (driver wise).

To me, those 2 cars are certainties. Now let's look at a few scenarios. First, 3 or 4 cars. If 3 cars, do you keep Fassler? If yes, then McNish and TK are both gone to Audi Ambassadorship (or Toyota). If no, then I say Duval gets drafted in and McNish leaves due to his numerous errors of late. Kristensen would move to the 3 car. However, there is no real way I think this happens, so I will just predict a new man is hired to run in the old guy's car (maybe another young gun from DTM like Ekstrom-he never got the R8 drive that many said he was promised) and another young gun fills the void in #3.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 05:29 (Ref:3093928)   #1686
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most cars to still ever finish on the lead lap at Le Mans: 2
Old 18 Jun 2012, 07:35 (Ref:3093956)   #1687
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So.. It was the last Le Mans for Dindo?

This would be my lineup:
#1 Lotterer, Treluyer, Duval
#2 Kristensen, McNish, Gene
#3 Rockenfeller, Fässler, Mr. X
Old 18 Jun 2012, 07:55 (Ref:3093962)   #1688
Audi R10
Rookie

Audi R10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
So.. It was the last Le Mans for Dindo?

This would be my lineup:
#2 Kristensen, McNish, Gene
#3 Rockenfeller, Fässler, Mr. X
I think:

#2 Kristensen, McNish, Bonanomi
#3 Rocky, Fassler, Jarvis

and Mortara 10th driver/reserve.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3093964)   #1689
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I'm pretty sure Gene has reserved himself a seat on the team with his late race performance.

That is if Toyota isn't going to pick him up for a third car next year.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3093984)   #1690
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Im really happy for all the class winners.

#1 Audi-great to see the young guns defend their title. Fassler aint the star of the trio but Ive been a fan of his since DTM so its great to see him grab another Le Mans win.

Rebellion-awesome to see them being the fastest of the privateers although I have to say I'd be surprised if they hadnt been. They looked the fastest and most prepared of the privateer LMP1s so it was their title to lose IMHO.

Starworks-What a dream debut year in ACO LMP racing for this team. Very happy for the guys.

AF Corse-The car gets binned in practice and then they come back to win. Wow. The 458 did really well last year and failed but this year makes up for it. Fairytale. Such a great win that even Badger wasnt unhappy to see it happen.

Larbre-Great to see them win again especially with Pedro Lamy in the car, its nice to see a good race for him with his recent ups and downs. Although I must ask-why'd they stop at the end to swap drivers?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3094028)   #1691
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think that duval, who has been the best driver in the #3 (at least the one that didn't crash during the race and scored 3.24.0 in qualifying) will join other gt500 drivers in the #1. While if capello really will leave his prototype driver role, surely in the #2 will be addede gené as third driver because of his coupè/diesel experience. In next year surely the third car will be used only at spa and le mans, and i think that there will be three drivers between fassler/rockenfeller/bonamoni/jarvis/some other dtm driver.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 11:45 (Ref:3094065)   #1692
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why hasn't Ekstrom ever been used in the Sportscar programme? I've always thought he'd be an excellent Endurance driver.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 12:23 (Ref:3094083)   #1693
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
Why hasn't Ekstrom ever been used in the Sportscar programme? I've always thought he'd be an excellent Endurance driver.
He doesn't like Le Mans. He was at the test day once and later he talked about how the traffic and compromising in terms of set up annoyed him.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3094098)   #1694
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
After racing for so many years in DTM hes forgotten how to overtake.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 13:34 (Ref:3094104)   #1695
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
After racing for so many years in DTM he's forgotten how to overtake.

While I’m not surprised, I was disappointed again at the pretty poor coverage of the race by the mainstream press. With no clash with F1, I thought there was a possibility that some of the F1 writers would be sent over to cover the race. The coverage it did get was down to the Davidson crash, like McNish’s last year.....
As has been said before, but it seems truer than ever F1=Motorsport!!

Last edited by ArnageWRC; 18 Jun 2012 at 13:42.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3094130)   #1696
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Im really happy for all the class winners.

#1 Audi-great to see the young guns defend their title. Fassler aint the star of the trio but Ive been a fan of his since DTM so its great to see him grab another Le Mans win.

Rebellion-awesome to see them being the fastest of the privateers although I have to say I'd be surprised if they hadnt been. They looked the fastest and most prepared of the privateer LMP1s so it was their title to lose IMHO.

Starworks-What a dream debut year in ACO LMP racing for this team. Very happy for the guys.

AF Corse-The car gets binned in practice and then they come back to win. Wow. The 458 did really well last year and failed but this year makes up for it. Fairytale. Such a great win that even Badger wasnt unhappy to see it happen.

Larbre-Great to see them win again especially with Pedro Lamy in the car, its nice to see a good race for him with his recent ups and downs. Although I must ask-why'd they stop at the end to swap drivers?
Larbres pitstop is explained here http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100474

The puncture cost Imsa the GTE AM win
Old 18 Jun 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3094162)   #1697
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Hows Ant Davidson doing ?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 16:43 (Ref:3094204)   #1698
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
As well as can be with a broken back, said he should be pain free and mobile in three weeks in the Q&A he did with Toyota.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3094267)   #1699
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Autosport has some news.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100471
Old 18 Jun 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3094287)   #1700
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Davidson was able to take his first steps today, his pit crew visited him and bought him a nice gift. http://pic.twitter.com/b2sIQJdm