Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Jun 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2890595)   #26
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WEC is basically rebranded ILMC. No changes to the regulations from the FIA, I don't think. The class champions in GTE will be awarded the GT World Cup?

The merged GT classes are purely for what was the GT1 World Championship, but will now be the GT World Championship. The series champions will be awarded the GT World Championship?

Chris
Old 3 Jun 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2890596)   #27
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am confused...

Maybe I'll try again after lunch or once the dust has settled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Germany! Seriously, it's unacceptable that the ILMC is not racing in Germany despite three manufacturers are German and there's a rich history (Nürburgring 1000km) here..
Not sure of the track, but I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedblood View Post
Just hope Bernie doesn't go anywhere near it...
Worth repeating...stay away Bern!
Old 3 Jun 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2890598)   #28
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
WEC is basically rebranded ILMC. No changes to the regulations from the FIA, I don't think. The class champions in GTE will be awarded the GT World Cup?

The merged GT classes are purely for what was the GT1 World Championship, but will now be the GT World Championship. The series champions will be awarded the GT World Championship?

Chris
They sure did choose wonderfully confusing terminology, didn't they?
Old 3 Jun 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2890601)   #29
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i focus on the word "constructors", the note talks about a constructor champ title and not a team one.... maybe will be allowed in this competition only work teams, so no more distinction between lmp1 and lmp2 but only audi,peugeot,astonmartin,other constructur will be allowed to run with GT cars that will complete the roster.
Other "little" teams like pescarolo, oak, quiefel, dyson etc.... will run in LMS/ALMS. So if today ILMC champ shares some races with LMS/ALMS calendar, next year there will be a split.
The strangest thing is that none before today talked about this... not even "constructors"
Old 3 Jun 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2890603)   #30
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WEC = ILMC

FIA has also approved the FIA GT1 WC to allow GTE and GT3's, all balanced to the same performance level.

ACO runs WEC, Ratel runs GT WC.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2890606)   #31
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
i focus on the word "constructors", the note talks about a constructor champ title and not a team one.... maybe will be allowed in this competition only work teams, so no more distinction between lmp1 and lmp2 but only audi,peugeot,astonmartin,other constructur will be allowed to run with GT cars that will complete the roster.
Other "little" teams like pescarolo, oak, quiefel, dyson etc.... will run in LMS/ALMS. So if today ILMC champ shares some races with LMS/ALMS calendar, next year there will be a split.
The strangest thing is that none before today talked about this... not even "constructors"
I'd assume that "constructors" such as Lola, Pescarolo and Oreca would be allowed in the constructors championship, but who knows. Who knows about LMP2. The lack of a teams championship is odd as there is one in the ILMC. Of course, we are now getting a drivers championship. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The LMS may run stand alone events next year, but that would not work for the ALMS. Surely at least one of Sebring or Petit would have to be part of the WEC, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
WEC = ILMC
Seemingly so with some new twists such as the drivers championship and maybe no team's championship. Will LMP2 still have a championship? We'll see. Also, does the WEC = FIA GT Endurance World Cup for GTEs? How are GTE-Ams (if they still exist) handled in regard to the FIA GT Endurance World Cup given that it is purely a constructors' title?

As for the Ratel series (the easy way to call it), are GTEs "technically" allowed if only 2009 GT2 cars are allowed? I'm not too concerned about that, but I guess it adds to the confusion.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:03 (Ref:2890607)   #32
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, and I think LMP1 and LMP2 teams, manufacturers, drivers championships will be all separate. Audi for instance would be awarded LMP1 World Endurance Constructors Champions, Bernhard/Dumas LMP1 World Endurance Drivers Champions, Audi Sport North America World Endurance Teams Champions, or whatever.

The same situation will occur in GTE but replace Champions with Cup.

This is all because the FIA favors their SRO/In-House GT Championship as a World Championship over the ACO's GTE class. It seems to be a stupid nomenclature thing.

Chris
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:07 (Ref:2890610)   #33
AGD
Veteran

Dagys is Tweeting that this is a game changer, some the biggest news in sports car racing since he has covered the sport. I'm guessing that means it's more than just the ILMC with a fresh coat of paint, but we'll see what the details are.

What I am wondering is if the FIA GT Endurance World Cup is simply the GTE version of the WEC or if it also includes "non-WEC" events such as LMS races.

Last edited by AGD; 3 Jun 2011 at 16:12.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2890612)   #34
AGD
Veteran

Here is Dagy's report: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/le-mans-fia-aco-set-to-launch-world-endurance-championship/
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2890614)   #35
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ferrari, porsche, aston martin and corvette currently use 2011 specs of their cars, or brand new cars if we talk about ferrari... why a team should pick up back a 2009 gt2?
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2890616)   #36
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bigger engines allowed in 09 wasnt it? Thats my only thought on it, a 2009 spec Corvette might be faster than todays....
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2890617)   #37
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
One of the multitudes of privateers with rent-a-drivers to fill out the GT WC grid.

Chris
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2890618)   #38
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good news!
But also bad.
Now the FIA has influence over Le Mans .

But let's hope this is something which will grow strong, and attract more major manufactures! (Toyota!)
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2890620)   #39
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Dagys is Tweeting that this is a game changer, some the biggest news in sports car racing since he has covered the sport. I'm guessing that means it's more than just the ILMC with a fresh coat of paint, but we'll see what the details are.
Certainly the bar has to raise on many levels.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2890621)   #40
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Good news!
But also bad.
Now the FIA has influence over Le Mans .

But let's hope this is something which will grow strong, and attract more major manufactures! (Toyota!)
I guess the FIA has always had their influence on Le Mans even during the intervening years (the chicanes still exist and there are threats for more, the big honkin' fins, etc.), but yeah, I'm of the opinion that the less FIA, the better! On the other hand, I suppose world championship status does offer some prestige, but it has hardly worked miracles for Ratel and the WTCC. In the end, we just get new (and more confusing) names yet again. I don't even know how casual fans keep up with this when we die-hards have so many problems understanding what is going on!
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2890623)   #41
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"At least 6 events"? So possibly more...

Hope that both PLM and Sebring are BOTH included, but I am sure that at least one MAY be in jeopardy.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2890624)   #42
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Could ACO even do this alone? Resources etc.?

I guess Todt likes sportscars.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2890625)   #43
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While these are indeed good news, I'm also a bit confused. So let me get this straight:

- The current ILMC is transformed into a full World Championship, sanctioned by the FIA.
- There will be a championship for overall winners (That means LMP1) and one GT World Cup for GT1/GTE/2/GT3 within the new WEC.
- But the Ratel series will stay alive, and they will try to bring GT1s, GTEs and GT3s under one hat. But more importantly, Ratel suddenly seems to have become a lapdog of the ACO and FIA (Especially the former). We'll see how long he can take it.
- What will happen to the GT3 European Championship and the Blancpain Endurance Series? These series seem to be suddenly obsolete.
- The new WEC will have six races. Aside from Sebring and Le Mans, I think they'll stay in Spa, Silverstone and China (As manufacturers will insist that they will race there). Petit Le Mans will probably be dropped, as it didn't seem to be popular with team from abroad for a couple of years (And I talk about teams like Felbermayr, who skipped Road Atlanta to travel outright to Zhuhai last year)

I have two concerns:
1. For god's sake, hopefully the Big 'E will stay out of the WEC's business this time. F1 will always stay the #1 in motorsport, so there is nothing to worry about.
2. But an even greater concern is that the ACO and SRO might go into another war. Hopefully Ratel will stay happy that he'll have many manufacturers joining the series (In theory), and not try to interfere into the ACO's business.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2890626)   #44
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Could ACO even do this alone? Resources etc.?

I guess Todt likes sportscars.
I'm not really sure what the FIA is bringing to the table aside from lending the ACO "World Championship" status, but we'll see what the details are over the next few days and weeks.

As for the schedule, I'd imagine the 2012 speculation still holds. Right now the ILMC races on 3 continents, is this fine for WC status? Will there need to be a 4th continent?
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2890629)   #45
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
While these are indeed good news, I'm also a bit confused. So let me get this straight:

- There will be a championship for overall winners (That means LMP1) and one GT World Cup for GT1/GTE/2/GT3 within the new WEC.
The WEC will not include GT1 and GT3. That is strictly for the renamed Ratel series. (Of course, GT1s were allowed this year at Le Mans in the GTE-Am class, so who knows if those provisions may carry over to 2012. I'm guessing not.)

Quote:
- The new WEC will have six races. Aside from Sebring and Le Mans, I think they'll stay in Spa, Silverstone and China (As manufacturers will insist that they will race there). Petit Le Mans will probably be dropped, as it didn't seem to be popular with team from abroad for a couple of years (And I talk about teams like Felbermayr, who skipped Road Atlanta to travel outright to Zhuhai last year)
A minimum of six - I suppose there could be more.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2890634)   #46
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
As for the schedule, I'd imagine the 2012 speculation still holds. Right now the ILMC races on 3 continents, is this fine for WC status? Will there need to be a 4th continent?
International Sporting Code requires 3.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2890636)   #47
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The WEC will not include GT1 and GT3. That is strictly for the renamed Ratel series. (Of course, GT1s were allowed this year at Le Mans in the GTE-Am class, so who knows if those provisions may carry over to 2012. I'm guessing not.)
So the status quo will more or less remain, which is probably for the better.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2890639)   #48
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Jean Todt can keep Bernie a million miles away from these two series...
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:44 (Ref:2890641)   #49
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
So in essence, nothings happening other that the ILMC gets bumped up to WC status with a new name?

That sounds good.... the ACO are the only ones I trust to not run this into the ground... same can't be said about Mr Ratel or the FIA.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:49 (Ref:2890642)   #50
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
So the status quo will more or less remain, which is probably for the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
So in essence, nothings happening other that the ILMC gets bumped up to WC status with a new name?

That sounds good.... the ACO are the only ones I trust to not run this into the ground... same can't be said about Mr Ratel or the FIA.
As far as I can tell, yes, things are similar to the ILMC. There are some potential differences that have not been fully explained yet. First, there will be a WEC drivers championship in addition to the constructors title, but nothing has been mentioned about a team championship. Also, there is the matter of what exactly is the FIA GT Endurance World Cup (not to be confused with the "Ratel" series). Is it the GTE version of the WEC? Or is it something slightly different. The press release only said it was a constructors title.

I'm taking the approach that we don't really know much about this new championship yet, but it could very much be the ILMC with a new name. It could turn out quite different. We'll see.