Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Apr 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2185790)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 2008 round 4 - Spanish GP, Catalunya (25/04/08-27/04/08).

Already onto round four of the year and it is the Circuit de Catalunya this time around, for the Spanish GP.

This is the second in a three race mini-series designed to give Felipe Massa as much of an advantage as possible in the hunt for this years drivers title. It is a shame he didn't bother to turn up for the first two races really, otherwise he'd be well in, but never mind.

McLaren should return to some form of acceptable form this weekend, they were quite quick over winter testing here, but enough to challenge Ferrari? A tough ask, the red team seems to have a frightening development pace on what was already a class leading car. BMW are similarly strong in moving forward, so the chrome people have their work cut out (i.e. all hope is lost).

And Flavio Briatore reckons Renault can fight BMW this weekend. Yes, they will come out of midfield mediocrity to fight for the win it seems! Presumably they have completely redesigned the car and drafted in Nelson Piquet Jr to take over driving duties from his dad in the second Renault...

Still, ambition is a good thing. My ambition is for it to rain in Spain on Sunday.

Drivers standings
 DriverTeamNationalityPoints
Kimi RaikkonenFerrariFinland19
Nick HeidfeldBMW-SauberGermany16
Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-MercedesBritain14
Robert KubicaBMW-SauberPoland14
Heikki KovalainenMcLaren-MercedesFinland14
Felipe MassaFerrariBrazil10
Jarno TrulliToyotaItaly8
Nico RosbergWilliams-ToyotaGermany7
Fernando AlonsoRenaultSpain6
Mark WebberRed Bull-RenaultAustralia4
Kazuki NakajimaWilliams-ToyotaJapan3
Sebastien BourdaisToro Rosso-FerrariFrance2

Constructors standings
 TeamPoints
BMW-Sauber30
Ferrari29
McLaren-Mercedes28
Williams-Toyota10
Toyota8
Renault6
Red Bull-Renault4
Toro Rosso-Ferrari2

Car graphics by www.andyblackmoredesign.com.

Spanish GP: recent results
Year1st place2nd place3rd place
2007Felipe MassaLewis HamiltonFernando Alonso
2006Fernando AlonsoMichael SchumacherGiancarlo Fisichella
2005Kimi RaikkonenFernando AlonsoJarno Trulli
2004Michael SchumacherRubens BarrichelloJarno Trulli

DriverLaptime
2007 fastest lapFelipe Massa1m22.680
2007 pole positionFelipe Massa1m21.421
Lap recordFelipe Massa1m22.680 (set in 2007)

Circuit stuff
Track map
Timetable
Event artwork

Forum links
Chat
Predictions competition
Fantasy competition

Last edited by Knowlesy; 24 Apr 2008 at 14:50.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2185818)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Still, ambition is a good thing. My ambition is for it to rain in Spain on Sunday.
That's what I'm hoping for, but I won't bet on it...the forecasts right now say 18 degrees and sunny.

I'd like to see a McLaren win this weekend (well actually, I'd like a BMW win, but if it has to be one of the 'big two'...) - that would keep things suitably interesting in the championship. A Raikkonen win may just kill off any hopes I have of the rest of the season being exciting.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 24 Apr 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2185819)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
[SIZE=2]

My ambition is to hope that you are right.

Rain has been forecast by some obscure weather websites.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2185834)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Rain on Saturday or Sunday might save this from being a dull race.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2185919)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fingers crossed, you never know.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2185921)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
Rain on Saturday or Sunday might save this from being a dull race.
Unless something weird happens I can't see this one scoring more than 4 out of 10.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66808

I dunno,they test on it relentlessly and then we expect there to be close racing.Go figure!

Maybe the midfield battle will be OK,which is where most of the directors attention will be focused anyway.

And sadly it looks like the field will be down to 20 cars.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2186009)   #7
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It needs two things to be proved this weekend. Mclaren need to have the pace to battle BMW and the red cars. And Williams, Renault, Red Bull and the rest need to keep pushing hard to challenge them for the decent points finishes, otherwise this season may become quite a boring one.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2186075)   #8
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where'e your optimism people?
All we need is some unforced (no TC) errors, a couple of safety cars, a sprinkle of rain and some stunning drives (Alonso perhaps) and a 4oo10 can become an 8oo10 - just like that
Old 24 Apr 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2186076)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, is that all?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 24 Apr 2008, 23:24 (Ref:2186125)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bulldog
Where'e your optimism people?
All we need is some unforced (no TC) errors, a couple of safety cars, a sprinkle of rain and some stunning drives (Alonso perhaps) and a 4oo10 can become an 8oo10 - just like that
Most likely scenario: Exciting first corner followed by an hour and a half of understanding why everyone wants to make up places in that first few seconds.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 00:02 (Ref:2186143)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The old TGF perfect scenario.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 00:20 (Ref:2186149)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I wish for Super Aguri to start this race...Great job as always Knowlesy!
Old 25 Apr 2008, 03:47 (Ref:2186192)   #13
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
[SIZE=2]

And Flavio Briatore reckons Renault can fight BMW this weekend.
flavio should become an nascar owner for all his blather.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 07:54 (Ref:2186253)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
There will be 22 cars on the grid.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66821

For now at any rate.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2186345)   #15
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched the first session online. Ferrari fast with only Hamilton looking a threat. Massa produced a performance that wouldn't look out of place in novice Formula Ford. One fast lap and 2 spins! He certainly seems to be the driver finding it hardest to cope without TC in my opinion. You cannot just keep your foot in now if the cars not balanced and you can't turn the car in on the brakes in the same way as last season.
Alonso's 6 tenths not there as he is only a gnat's ahead of Piquet.
The first half hour of the session notable for the fact that nobody did a timed lap! Pictures of garages, people eating picnics and marshals reading books! Just makes you wonder why anyone would pay good money for that.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2186375)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Renault look quite decent thus far. Flavio, I'm sorry I laughed.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 11:27 (Ref:2186436)   #17
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Flav won't hold it against you Knowlesy, he's got one or two compensations in his life!
Old 25 Apr 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2186477)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

OK, I'm watching the ITV practice online feed properly for the first time.

Two questions:

1) Does the picture ever stop jerking?

2) Does the sound ever bear even a passing relationship to the pictures? The pictures go onboard and we get external sounds. The camera goes trackside, we get Robert Kubica talking to his engineer. Eh?

Awful stuff. This is little more advanced than watching the sessions via teletext.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2186478)   #19
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will there be any live internet coverage?
Old 25 Apr 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2186484)   #20
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The rabbit ears on the Hondas are a little embarrassing, even as a fan. They're in big trouble with that car.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2186486)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Force India one-two at the moment!
Old 25 Apr 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2186508)   #22
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The radio chats from the two Sebs has been pretty cool.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2186544)   #23
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, the word frustration was used in the commentary as you know, probably. Did Speed say they're covering the GP2 race on Sunday MP? Just caught the tailend of that bit.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2186591)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Awful stuff. This is little more advanced than watching the sessions via teletext.
I find it much easier to just watch the little highlights videos they compile after practice. It cuts out all the dull stuff as well. Maybe the BBC will do a better job with the whole online thing next year.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2186692)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
If anyone can read anything into that second session I'd like to hear your explanation now please!