Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 26 Jul 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2931550)   #301
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
So it's two, then. I like that! hope that they rotate them between Silverstone, Spa and Italy (Monza, Mugello, Imola). I don't see any other place getting one, not even Hockeheim (with I vote for the Euro LMS).
I don't think we will see a rotation, Spa is the classic race shortly before Le Mans and the big pre test for the teams and has been that way since time began. Also finally Spa retained as a shared race with the LMS...

And please not Hockenheim, it's simply nowadays an awful track...

Old 26 Jul 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2931551)   #302
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
I don't think we will see a rotation, Spa is the classic race shortly before Le Mans and the big pre test for the teams and has been that way since time began. Also finally Spa retained as a shared race with the LMS...

And please not Hockenheim, it's simply nowadays an awful track...

Unfortunately Hockenheim has had the Tilke treatment and been butchered.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2931563)   #303
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Unfortunately Hockenheim has had the Tilke treatment and been butchered.
I prefer the word "Neutered".

Seriously though, they should have at least kept the old track there for SportsCars. The old track is a perfect track for SportsCars.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2931565)   #304
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post

Seriously though, they should have at least kept the old track there for SportsCars. The old track is a perfect track for SportsCars.
Neutered, that's very apt. I agree they should have left the track as it was.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2931676)   #305
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

They had to dig it up and plant trees to replace the ones cut down for the new bits. Green party...

In fairness, I actually think Hockenheim is a pretty decent track compared to many of the truly terrible new F1 ones. It's only compared to the original where it fails.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2931772)   #306
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
They had to dig it up and plant trees to replace the ones cut down for the new bits. Green party...

In fairness, I actually think Hockenheim is a pretty decent track compared to many of the truly terrible new F1 ones. It's only compared to the original where it fails.
I don't know about that, it was one of the few tracks with a long sweeping curved section and a long straight section, on which the cars could really be opened up and now that's all gone.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2931841)   #307
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I remember that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Super Ex-Girlfriend
Matt Saunders: I'm not going to help you kill her!
Professor Bedlam: Kill? I didn't say "kill"! I said "neutralize"! It's a neutral word... like Switzerland.
I agree with Dead-Eye:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
I actually think Hockenheim is a pretty decent track compared to many of the truly terrible new F1 ones. It's only compared to the original where it fails.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2931859)   #308
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
So it's two, then. I like that! hope that they rotate them between Silverstone, Spa and Italy (Monza, Mugello, Imola). I don't see any other place getting one, not even Hockeheim (with I vote for the Euro LMS).
Two for next year, Spa and Silverstone. And, as far as I'm concerned, Spa and Silverstone should be permanent fixtures on the calendar.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2931860)   #309
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's interesting to look at Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CDUQ8gEwAA
Has the old track been reconstructed!?
The picture is supposed to be from 2011.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2931862)   #310
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Trust me, it isn't....
Old 27 Jul 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2931865)   #311
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Trust me, it isn't....
Well, should we start a ROH? (Reconstruct the Old Hockenheimring) (a pun on STR )
Old 27 Jul 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2931870)   #312
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There is no way that is even close to up to date, half of the current circuit is missing!
Old 27 Jul 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2931874)   #313
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Two for next year, Spa and Silverstone. And, as far as I'm concerned, Spa and Silverstone should be permanent fixtures on the calendar.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 20:31 (Ref:2931911)   #314
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
That photo must be pre 2002, the new bits aren't even build yet! What you seem to confuse with the new layout is the Querspange, the shortcut that was used for DTM races and such.

The old layout does not exist anymore, the trees that were chopped down for the new layout had to be replaced in the forest.

Here' how the venue looks now:

http://img.fotocommunity.com/images/...-a24514254.jpg

As you can see, the straight that leads up to the Jim Clark chicane is already gone, you can still tell where the Ostkurve was tough... the old layout is gone and it will sadly never come back.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 21:09 (Ref:2931925)   #315
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
That photo must be pre 2002, the new bits aren't even build yet! What you seem to confuse with the new layout is the Querspange, the shortcut that was used for DTM races and such.

The old layout does not exist anymore, the trees that were chopped down for the new layout had to be replaced in the forest.

Here' how the venue looks now:

http://img.fotocommunity.com/images/...-a24514254.jpg

As you can see, the straight that leads up to the Jim Clark chicane is already gone, you can still tell where the Ostkurve was tough... the old layout is gone and it will sadly never come back.
As a fan of motor racing Ive always found this disgusting, well at least Im sure they kept Bernie's cocktail bar.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 23:21 (Ref:2931965)   #316
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Unfortunately no. That image appears on Google Earth and was originally taken in 2001.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2932030)   #317
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
I don't think we will see a rotation, Spa is the classic race shortly before Le Mans and the big pre test for the teams and has been that way since time began.
Actually the Silverstone 6 hours used to be in May and was always the big pre LM race back then.

There was even a trophy awarded by (I think) the BRDC for the best performance over the two races.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 15:35 (Ref:2932146)   #318
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
To me, Monza ranks as high as Spa and Silverstone. We shouldn't ignore the significance of Italy in motorsport.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2932204)   #319
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I like Monza but the LMS races there have not been terribly popular and there is the issue with the limited noise-days, isn't there?
Old 28 Jul 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2932237)   #320
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Yet Audi and Peugeot have frequently tested there in the past couple of years. Maybe they get an exemption because they either pay a fee to the local government, or the get a waiver because their cars' diesel engines don't make much noise (though the new Pug's V8 is reportedly as loud as a GTE Porsche 911's engine).

I think that Audi and Peugeot "buy" their way in to test at Monza, whether or not their cars are below or above the noise restrictions, and they only test a few days a year anyways.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2932276)   #321
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Audi isn't much louder than a Nissan Leaf. The 908 is getting close race-engine sound levels, but I don't think it's near GTE yet. AMR-One did some testing at Monza as well.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2932284)   #322
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Audi is surely having no issues with the noise levels when testing, the car isn't louder than most road-going performance cars... if at all.

The new 908 is almost as loud as some GT cars, still its noise is really nothing that makes the glassware shake in the nearby homes as the noise isn't really piercing.. so that shouldn't be a problem.

A raceweekend with 40+ cars, all with different engine tones is another matter though... plus, spectator numbers have been largely disappointing for the LMS rounds I think..even for sports car racing standards.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2932301)   #323
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza has not many "noise" problems these days... the problems are all about money and money... and money... they lost the LMS race because Algarve was giving some money to race there, probably it has been the same story with Imola, cheaper track (Imola is almost desperate for money from what i know) i really love to see LMS or WEC at monza, it's my home track, it's beautiful and i think it's really one of the few real highspeed tracks in the world... maybe Silverstone is "almost" as fast as Monza.. but anyway i see it very very difficult
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:00 (Ref:2932513)   #324
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if the F1 change to SKY is an opportunity for this championship to get onto BBC TV. As most of the present coverage is paid for by the organisers they would not expect a fee from the BBC and we could get this on one of the BBC channels even if it did not make BBC1 or 2.
There is an opportunity here for someone I think
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2932528)   #325
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
I wonder if the F1 change to SKY is an opportunity for this championship to get onto BBC TV. As most of the present coverage is paid for by the organisers they would not expect a fee from the BBC and we could get this on one of the BBC channels even if it did not make BBC1 or 2.
There is an opportunity here for someone I think
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Have Eurosport not snapped up an exclusive multi-year deal to broadcast the FIA WEC (I can't remember)?