Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Oct 2011, 08:46 (Ref:2970913)   #276
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real DMN View Post

Allow me to quote someone famous for this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson

WOOHOO!
Old 14 Oct 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2970917)   #277
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We also know that Eric Helary won't be one of the drivers as it seems that he is retiring. I'm guessing he wasn't on anyone's list of potential drivers anyway except for those feeling nostalgic.

Toyota vs. Peugeot part 2. This will be interesting. Interesting because they have some company this time. The car isn't a real looker, but I guess we'll have to wait to see the whole thing before we judge. The BHF looks a bit R18esque, but I guess we better get used to that.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2970921)   #278
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This just made my day, to be honest if the car looks half as good as the GT-One I'll still be happy.
What do you guys think they'll call it? TS030?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2970922)   #279
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW here's the rendering:
Old 14 Oct 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2970936)   #280
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will they be already at Sebring or will the debut at Le Mans? And is the chassis built by Toyota themselves, or are they sticking to Lola-Chassis?

But finally, someone is there to break up the eternal duel between Audi and Peugeot.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 09:22 (Ref:2970939)   #281
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea when the further anouncements are planned? (drivers, exact program, sponsors...)

I guess we'll have to wait for the car official presentation in a few month, but I so much hope we'll get more information soon.

Every winter is a pain in the ass because we miss races and activity, but this one will be even harder.

Bring on 2012! Quick! (well, let's have Zhuhai first.)
Old 14 Oct 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2970941)   #282
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
Will they be already at Sebring or will the debut at Le Mans? And is the chassis built by Toyota themselves, or are they sticking to Lola-Chassis?

But finally, someone is there to break up the eternal duel between Audi and Peugeot.
The chassis will be an in-house chassis. It won't be a Lola. I guess they could farm out some construction, but I don't think that will be necessary. As far as their schedule, it sounds like it will be a partial WEC schedule. Sebring to me seems doubtful, but that is just my opinion. There could be political advantages and disadvantages to competing early in the season depending on their performance (and how much they could or would want to sandbag), but I think their testing will help determine that.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2970943)   #283
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The answers for your questions are in the press release: http://www.lemans.org/en/news/Toyota...ours_5425.html

Roll-out is planned for at the end of the year and an extensive test schedule will start in early 2012. They will participate in Le Mans and "some other WEC rounds"; it is unclear whether those other races will be before or after Le Mans. I guess that Sebring will be too early as race debut.

The chassis will be produced by Toyota Motorsport GmbH in Cologne, Germany and the drivetrain in Toyota Motor Corporation in Japan.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2970944)   #284
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Great news indeed, let's hope it is a match for the diesels.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2970947)   #285
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
BTW here's the rendering:
Of course the final car will look different, but that's certainly prettier than either of the other two factory LMP1s.

Will this programme extend to the new rules in 2013? I'd find it hard to believe it would be a two-year programme. It would be impossible to catch up with Peugeot and Audi in that space of time, even if they have a faster car which may well happen with the rules.

Money doesn't buy experience. Or Dr Wolfgang Ulrich
Old 14 Oct 2011, 09:56 (Ref:2970958)   #286
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
This just made my day, to be honest if the car looks half as good as the GT-One I'll still be happy.
What do you guys think they'll call it? TS030?
Had always been under the impression that TS was a reference to Tony Southgate as a designer - despite him having a role in the Audi R8 I'm not sure this will be dragging him out of retirement.

Would be a nice tribute and bit of continuity though - and probably mildly better than Prius GTP...
Old 14 Oct 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2970959)   #287
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I´m Surprised... by the announcement to early

But extremely Happy. I aspect that Nissan come along to... soon
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2970960)   #288
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Of course the final car will look different, but that's certainly prettier than either of the other two factory LMP1s.

Will this programme extend to the new rules in 2013? I'd find it hard to believe it would be a two-year programme. It would be impossible to catch up with Peugeot and Audi in that space of time, even if they have a faster car which may well happen with the rules.

Money doesn't buy experience. Or Dr Wolfgang Ulrich
I always figure it makes sense to look at a serious sportscar programme as a three year effort - okay you might be lucky like Peugeot in the '90s or Audi in 2000 and benefit from a slightly clearer field, but assuming this is going to work for you is probably unwise.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2970961)   #289
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It is too early to make that call.

Remember that the 908 mock-up that was presented in the Paris autoshow of 2006, looked a lot prettier than the final car: http://www.supercars.net/cars/3583.html
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2970963)   #290
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh No LMP1 and Le Mans is dead and DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!

Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2970965)   #291
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Oh No LMP1 is dead and DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!

Duh. Autocon is selling their B06/10. Clearly LMP1 is doomed. The ACO might as well let NASCAR run at Le Mans now!

More seriously, on the Nissan note, I'm not so sure if this will help pull or push them. For one thing, Nissan won't be the first serious petrol hybrid now unless they have secret plans we don't know about. That seems unlikely with the Oreca 908 rumors. Plus, the cost of competing has just gone up I would assume. They may not want the risk of getting embarrased by Toyota. It might have been one thing if there were no other serious petrol efforts, but I don't know about now. It would be nice to see. I'm also really hoping to see an all-pro ARX-03a effort next year just to emphasize the Honda vs. Toyota angle. I know the ARX-03a will be quite disadvantaged in theory to the Prius LMP1, but who knows how polished this program will be right out of the box. I'm sure there has been tons of behind the scenes testing, but we know how first years tend to go.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2970969)   #292
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Agreed. I'm never liked Toyota street or race cars, but this is rather pretty for today's standards.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2970972)   #293
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Wing endplates look differant .
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:24 (Ref:2970973)   #294
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard that Toyota had made an announcement, was expecting it to be a much longer lead in time.

Wonder if any 'spy shots' will emerge of testing it soon.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2970980)   #295
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
Wonder if any 'spy shots' will emerge of testing it soon.
That is a bit early because the roll-out is planned for the end of the year
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2970989)   #296
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
It is too early to make that call.

Remember that the 908 mock-up that was presented in the Paris autoshow of 2006, looked a lot prettier than the final car: http://www.supercars.net/cars/3583.html
I agree with gwyllion the real car will look a lot different.

BTW being the only (semi-factory) open car (HPD) will they bring the coupe sooner then 2014
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2970991)   #297
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
BTW being the only (semi-factory) open car (HPD) will they bring the coupe sooner then 2014
Presumably only if enough teams buy it or at least show serious interest in it. Whether Honda will be interested in a full factory program or not is to be seen, but I would not get your hopes up for that yet.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2970993)   #298
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I really couldn't imagine a serious factory effort not doing either Sebring or Spa before Le Mans.

I still don't get the 2012 date. Why build a car for 2 years of competition?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2970998)   #299
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
I really couldn't imagine a serious factory effort not doing either Sebring or Spa before Le Mans.

I'm sure Toyota does not want to test in public ala the AMR-One. If they feel the car is sorted enough, then maybe, but I don't know if that can or will be the case with Sebring at the very least. Plus, there is the political aspect.

The rumor is that the technical regs may not change hugely for 2014 so maybe the car can be used again. Either way, 2 years may be sufficient for what Toyota is trying to prove. Anyway, I'm sure they want to be the first hybrid winner and Peugeot and maybe Audi may take that in 2012 if Toyota did not act. Plus, the rules for them may never be so favorable again.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2971004)   #300
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:

My comment will be very sarcastic

The Toyota will have a real opportunity in winning in 2013 because from 2014 the rules will "favour" Porsche and in 2013 the diesel technology will not have the advantage they have now. The ACO will want to prove that Hybrid is the way to the new set of rules in 2014, and a Toyota win will help them.