Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Jan 2012, 23:58 (Ref:3016537)   #1276
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Double the spare parts, which is not beneficial when they are still developing the car.
I'm sure they realize this. But Toyota is Toyota. Regardless of how much it costs, the benefits could outweigh the costs and risks. It's not like they have rookies in the car that can't navigate through traffic. Most all of the guys they have lined up have Prototype experience, or SGT experience.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:00 (Ref:3016539)   #1277
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Illegal in a different form(see renault's mass damper) in F1.
I meant in LMP, but I was wrong.

Quote:
Check out this great article in case you have not seen yet: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...brid-revealed/
I have, apparently just read too quickly that part.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:03 (Ref:3016541)   #1278
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
They are good shots. I used the one from Racecar engineering's site because it didn't have the LeMans.org watermark on the left.
On our site are a mix of my pics and Toyota's - yep the flow vis and all action shots are from them - but the static stuff is all mine. We do not watermark - just ask for links and credit.

Quote:
. Can you ask whether the gearbox is also operated hydraulically? TMG has a lot of experience with hydraulics from their F1 time.
yes its hydraulic shift

Quote:
The specs also state that the gearbox casing is aluminium. Why is it not made in carbon fibre?
even the TF110 (a major source for this car) did not have a carbon case

Quote:
Surprise, What do we know about this all new 3.4l v8 engine they are using?
Very little - I think it is direct injection and has a lower crankshaft height compared to the RV8K - but don't shout at me if thats wrong!

Quote:
Also the rear deck of that car is so low. Probably lower than on the Audi
I though maybe it was a pullrod rear but Pascal tells me its pushrod

Quote:
Did Toyota confirm a schedule? I've not seen anything about that.
Press release I have says 1 car Spa, 2 cars Le Mans, Silverstone, Fuji. But team are a bit vague on that

Quote:
J-Damper?
Illegal iirc.
not according to Pascal
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:09 (Ref:3016545)   #1279
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hydraulic gearbox sytem? Seems like asking for trouble especially if the system starts to leak. The Audi R18 uses an electronic system which would be ligher I think while the Puegeot used an electrohydraulic. The Toyota is certainly not short on battery power if theyre upset that one can only harness 500kJ in a brake zone so why did they not choose the Audi route?
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3016547)   #1280
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
What gains could be made from the exhaust solution they're running? More downforce on the rear end? A lower rear maybe leading to less drag?

Thanks for your insight and allowing me to use the picture as a Avatar as well!
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:11 (Ref:3016548)   #1281
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not really - hydraulic is pretty much standard in F1. They are running the boxes to 10,000km - I would not expect problems there. Don't forget unlike Pug or Audi the Toyota box is all in house
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:13 (Ref:3016549)   #1282
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
What gains could be made from the exhaust solution they're running? More downforce on the rear end? A lower rear maybe leading to less drag?
Without a wind tunnel I could not tell you! But it was the best layout they had before EBD's came in. Course there is nothing in the regs against an EBD (though fuel consumption could be an issue) the TS030 is pretty conventional in this regard in F1 terms.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:17 (Ref:3016551)   #1283
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Illegal in F1.
Inerters are completely legal in F1 and they are still being used.

Professor Malcolm Smith licensed his patents to Penske Racing Shocks (see here) and Penske sells inerters to almost all F1 teams. At the moment Penske is trying the commercialize inerters for other applications (e.g., Indycar). There is a good article about this in the November 2011 issue of Racecar Engineering.

All this was already been discussed in Peugeot 908 secret=Ferrari F1's J-Damper
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:18 (Ref:3016552)   #1284
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Press release I have says 1 car Spa, 2 cars Le Mans, Silverstone, Fuji. But team are a bit vague on that
Must be different version than the one here for example because Silverstone and Fuji and are certainly not mentioned. But which one is newer?
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:37 (Ref:3016558)   #1285
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Without a wind tunnel I could not tell you! But it was the best layout they had before EBD's came in. Course there is nothing in the regs against an EBD (though fuel consumption could be an issue) the TS030 is pretty conventional in this regard in F1 terms.
does any one know if there's any chance that Panasonic will jump on board? with the hybrid system from nisshibho this may be a conflict of interest seeing that panasonic also supplies Toyota with Hybrid systems. it would be a quite nice addition because over the last few years Toyota and Panasonic have gone hand in hand when it comes to partnerships on and off track.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:37 (Ref:3016559)   #1286
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I though maybe it was a pullrod rear but Pascal tells me its pushrod
That is what the table with technical specifications says as well: http://www.planetlemans.com/wp-conte...ifications.png
Quote:
Hydraulic gearbox sytem? Seems like asking for trouble especially if the system starts to leak. The Audi R18 uses an electronic system which would be ligher I think while the Puegeot used an electrohydraulic.
Peugeot also used hydraulics for steering assistance and for gearshift. As Sam explained, this is common practice in Formula 1, where hydraulics are used for even more purposes (valve train, clutch, ...). Toyota knows how to do this with reliability issues.
Quote:
A lot of other LMP cars (Lolas, new 908, R15, ...) exit the exhausts through the rear bodywork instead of at the back or in front of the rear wheel. Toyota is just doing a bit more elegant than other manufacturers.

I always thought that the main reason was weight reduction because shorter exhaust pipes, instead of some aerodynamic gain. See http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft00360.html and http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/0...cope-exhausts/

Last edited by gwyllion; 25 Jan 2012 at 00:50.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:51 (Ref:3016562)   #1287
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Inerters are completely legal in F1 and they are still being used.
I was talking about the mass damper being illegal(As placed in the post) that is illegal(sorry for confusion). The J-Damper is just the work around, but having the same effect i think.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:56 (Ref:3016563)   #1288
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
I was talking about the mass damper being illegal(As placed in the post) that is illegal(sorry for confusion).
I think that you changed your post after I started typing my reply.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:57 (Ref:3016564)   #1289
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Yes, in theory 2-seaters. But I think it has become a norm to place electronics etc. stuff there?
You're right. According to Pascal Vasselon: "This system requires a lot of space and the regulations in LM P1 allow us to place it in the passenger seat’s spot."
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:58 (Ref:3016565)   #1290
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
I think that you changed your post after I started typing my reply.
Oh yes. Your correct.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 01:21 (Ref:3016567)   #1291
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
EDIT: Full press release here: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/24/t...nce-prototype/

Also:

TS030 has front "rears." Same as ARX-02a.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 01:27 (Ref:3016569)   #1292
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
TS030 has front "rears." Same as ARX-02a.
So the front(rear) tire has not been specially designed and optimized in coordination with Michelin? I assumed you would make the comparison with the Audi/Peugeot but this appears to not be the case.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 01:31 (Ref:3016570)   #1293
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
So the front(rear) tire has not been specially designed and optimized in coordination with Michelin? I assumed you would make the comparison with the Audi/Peugeot but this appears to not be the case.
Actually mistaken on that. Looked at the while rims, 14.5". Tire widths are 360 vs 370 mm rear. So no, not front "rears". In fact, exact same rubber dims as the R18. My bad!
Old 25 Jan 2012, 02:04 (Ref:3016578)   #1294
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did I miss an explanation somewhere about why there are now fender holes?
Old 25 Jan 2012, 02:06 (Ref:3016579)   #1295
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Not yet.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 02:40 (Ref:3016581)   #1296
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Could it be because the car was already designed before the holes were mandated? Testing in this form at least gives them some experience with the mechanical side so the aero can be tweeked later.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 02:52 (Ref:3016582)   #1297
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Japanese Autosport web says that
-TS030 is scheduled to participate in Spa (one car participation?).
-LM24, Silverstone, and Fuji may be two-car participation.
-Japanese driver Hiroaki Ishiura had participated in the shakedown test at Paul Ricard.
http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=6&no=38715
Ishiura, Caldarelli (junior tester), Buemi...

Come on, get Seiji Ara! The man knows how to race and win in LMP1 cars.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 05:45 (Ref:3016601)   #1298
evanPGH
Rookie

United States
evanPGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
Ishiura, Caldarelli (junior tester), Buemi...

Come on, get Seiji Ara! The man knows how to race and win in LMP1 cars.
I'd like to see Seiji Ara in the 'Yota. I'm not too thrilled about the Buemi signing but maybe Buemi, Ara and one ex-Peugeot driver. That would be a pretty solid car IMO.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 06:05 (Ref:3016604)   #1299
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ishiura is legit quick. I saw his performance in Super GT last year and he was a revelation. Buemi is fast but I don't think his temperament would suit LMPs for now. Look at Klien in Le Mans 2008, totally undoing the demonic pace of Franck Montagny and the lead by beaching it in the gravel.

I have never totally forgiven him for that.

Last edited by DeathOrGlory; 25 Jan 2012 at 06:14.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 06:20 (Ref:3016607)   #1300
TF110
Veteran

United States
From the spy shots before the official release it looked like the holes were there. Now they're covered up, or at least they have louvers.