Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 Oct 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2966743)   #151
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just saw the news that Toyota are going back to racing in Dakar this year. Could that also be the reason why Toyota had all those mechanics and engineers come back to Cologne? If I remember correctly TMG used to be TTE and they made rally cars for a living before they did the GT-One.

[edit]Okay false news. Toyota is coming back to Dakar, but it's the South African dealer team. Sorry for the confusion. [/edit]
Old 6 Oct 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2966787)   #152
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think they'll use their own car. If they made their own F1 car, they could do an lmp just as easily. Cant wait.
Old 7 Oct 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2966963)   #153
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prodrive did an F1 car....
Old 7 Oct 2011, 07:20 (Ref:2966967)   #154
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got a pic of this Prodrive F1 car?
Old 7 Oct 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2967058)   #155
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
The old BAR Honda cars where prodrive design.
But Prodrive was one of the teams who didn't make it when the 3 new teams where invited.
Old 7 Oct 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2967067)   #156
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_American_Racing

From 2002 onwards Prodrive ran the team.
Old 7 Oct 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2967269)   #157
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Prodrive aren't Toyota though. Toyota's new philosophy is to do things their way. The big deal with Toyota in F1 was the cost, but you have to remember they weren't spending cash out the rear every year, the budget was including the cost of the Toyota facilities in cologne. That place has some of the best, highest quality shops, windtunnels, benches etc. Even Ferrari used Toyota's tunnel to recalibrate their own earlier this year. Why have all that and outsource your lmp project? I don't think that's likely.
Old 7 Oct 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2967278)   #158
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have no worries about Toyota. They will do everything themselves and there is no reason to expect it won't be an incredibly fast and effective car. I'm just hoping beyond hope we get an official announcement.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2967736)   #159
Sellysell
Rookie

United States
Sellysell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So M.mike just said on twitter to expect to see them next year, thats pretty interesting. Hope it is true.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2967743)   #160
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellysell View Post
So M.mike just said on twitter to expect to see them next year, thats pretty interesting. Hope it is true.
Just seen that. Brilliant news if true. If they can get the car together it almost does make more sense to enter next year rather than 2013, one year before the new regs.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds...
Old 8 Oct 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2967745)   #161
Sellysell
Rookie

United States
Sellysell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im wondering that if this is true, next year could be a regular petrol, and 2014 they bring the hybrid out.

Im really hoping they come out next year. The battle between audi and pug have been amazing, and hoping toyota brings a compitive car a three team battle be intense.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2967751)   #162
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would make sense to run for two years before changing to the 2014 regs (even if they are similar to current regs).

This possibly means they'll enter the WEC and therefore makes sense why Fuji is expected to be on the calender.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2968140)   #163
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post

This possibly means they'll enter the WEC and therefore makes sense why Fuji is expected to be on the calender.
I wonder if they will run the whole season, or just a few races, Fuji in particular.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2968195)   #164
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Well there were rumors that Toyota was already testing a car before Le Mans...if that's the case they should be sorted out to do a full season next year.

Peugeot, Audi, Toyota... well, I like the sound of that!
Old 9 Oct 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2968227)   #165
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept11.html
Quote:
We've received updated information about Toyota's imminent LMP announcement and are now hearing the car will be racing as soon as next year. Where (Le Mans, WEC), and when specifically, we don't know. We also understand that, as reported before, the announcement will be made soon.

Now, it is expected that the ACO will release their 2014 regulations next month. Could Toyota's announcement coincide with the timing of the ACO's regulations release and the release of the World Endurance Championship calendar? Something to think about.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2968254)   #166
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is it a little early to start discussing where they will find six, possibly nine, top class drivers with experience of a prototype/downforce car?

Would they consider GT stars from GT500 and GTE?
Old 9 Oct 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2968279)   #167
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Is it a little early to start discussing where they will find six, possibly nine, top class drivers with experience of a prototype/downforce car?

Andre Lotterer has to be on top of their list after his Le Mans performance. Same would go for Treluyer if Nissan would step up.

Which would lead to big problems for Audi as most of their current top guys are only on loan. I pretty sure Porsche won't loan out Bernhard & Dumas past the end of 2012, Audi will most likely want to find new drivers for 2013 to have them ready as an development asset for the new 2014 car. With Dindo gone, Audi's squad is possibly down to just McNish, Kristensen, Rockenfeller & Fässler by the end of 2012... pretty slim.

The appearance of the two (or more) new manufacturers will probably kick off a lot of movement on the drivers market. I don't think there are enough quick prototype guys around who qualify as works drivers, I expect to see a lot of new names from other series to come into the sport similar to what happened when Peugeot first showed up.

If Nissan does indeed join in the coming years as well, there could be more than 20 seats at works teams to fill for 2014! So I'll expect to see a lot of new faces...

Last edited by Acid09; 9 Oct 2011 at 21:44.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2968282)   #168
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I don't think so, I was going to raise this point myself.

If it's a serious project they'll be after proffessional drivers, and that's really not easy to come by with a few dozen currently tied to Porsche, Peugeot, Audi and even BMW, Corvette and Ferrari.

Decent proffesional drivers are n F1, DTM, Indycars or already in Sportscars. So already, they're at a disadvantage. And things could get pretty expensive on the driver side of things if, say, Nissan and Bentley sign up as well. That would be 5 manufacturers demanding 30 pro divers minimum!

In Toyota's case I guess they could have 1 car of seasoned pros, 1 full of drivers from their Indycar project and another with promising young Japanese drivers?
Old 9 Oct 2011, 22:01 (Ref:2968295)   #169
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I know Brabham aint the youngest but , he has links to Toyota , as does Brundle .

Brabs is still bloody quick . Not sure about Brundle ? Lotterer , doesnt he do DTM for Audi , so I suppose he is wrapped up for Audi le Mans campaign ?

They need a few young Japs in the car . How about Ara or Shimoda ? Toyota and Nissan always used Japanese talent for their Le Mans campaigns .
Old 9 Oct 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2968298)   #170
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Its only 2 months to Christmas Jag ..... if the car is planning to run in 2012 , its not that early really .

Love to see Irvine return !!!
Old 9 Oct 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2968301)   #171
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Definitely would be good to see them bring in a really big name. Whoever that may be. I wonder if there is any scope to take any of the Rebellion lot? Depends who they rate. Trying not to think about it all too much though out of fear of jinxing it.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2968302)   #172
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I know Brabham aint the youngest but , he has links to Toyota , as does Brundle .

Brabs is still bloody quick . Not sure about Brundle ? Lotterer , doesnt he do DTM for Audi , so I suppose he is wrapped up for Audi le Mans campaign ?

They need a few young Japs in the car . How about Ara or Shimoda ? Toyota and Nissan always used Japanese talent for their Le Mans campaigns .
Brabham has connections to everyone .

Besides if previous employers count, then Villeneuve, Tom K and Irvine all raced together at Toyota in the early 90's, and Irvane ran the TS010.
But yes, there is going to be a lot of fighting for the fast and experienced drivers - but a lot of empty seats for new drivers, and a driver like Jan Magnussen could likely be a leading driver in a factory program.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2968305)   #173
The Badger
Veteran

Ito
Oshima
Kataoka
Ara
Wakisaka
Couto
Lotterer
Nakajima
Tachikawa
Ishiura
Iguchi

These lads are doing the Gt500 championship for Lexus .

I reckon Lotterer will be in the Toyota . He only does Le mans for Audi and I guess it depends on how he wants his toast buttered .

Villeneuve was dropped by Pug , cant see Toyota being interested in him . Audi wont let Kristensen go , Id bet on that . As for Irvine , he is well outta practice but , he did say that he would love to do Le Mans again . Look at Brundle , coming outta retirement to Toyota and Bentley , so I suppose Irvine could still do it . Love to see him back . Minnassian was saying that he is not getting enough driving , so he could be another possibility . Possibily Wurz as he doesnt get much running either .

Last edited by The Badger; 9 Oct 2011 at 22:16.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 22:13 (Ref:2968306)   #174
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Besides if previous employers count, then Villeneuve, Tom K and Irvine all raced together at Toyota in the early 90's, and Irvane ran the TS010.
Don't forget McNish!
Old 9 Oct 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2968307)   #175
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Irvine hasn't raced (professionally) since 2002?

Brundle is 52.

Seriously now...