Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Jun 2012, 16:01 (Ref:3096459)   #1
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian Le Mans Series?

In light of the announcement of the Asian Le Mans series recently does anyone think that an Australian version is within the realm of possibility?

Australia has a well established GT3 championship which could form the base of the GTC class, its got a great range of tracks and there are a couple of events that would fit perfectly (Sandown 500km and Bathurst 12 Hours).

Given that winter falls in the middle of the year in the southern hemisphere it would fit perfectly for the mid-season break for Le Mans.

Thoughts?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 22 Jun 2012, 16:31 (Ref:3096465)   #2
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could see the Asian series doing a race in Australia. That makes total sense to me.
Not sure about a complete exclusive series, as with the afore mentioned GT series succesfully competing, would teams resources be maxed already? Or would enough be willing to shift to prototypes?
Old 22 Jun 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3096470)   #3
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect it would rely on teams branching out or new teams being formed.

P2 would be the lead class so it would rely on the wealthy amateur buying a car and running it with a pro driver on board.

Australia and New Zealand have weathered the recession very well due to their economies not relying on banking, and in the case of Australia its abundant natural resources which are in high demand from China and India.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 22 Jun 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3096484)   #4
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should have an Australia Round on the Asian Le Mans Series instead of having a Le Mans Series in Oceania.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 17:32 (Ref:3096489)   #5
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really can't see a region as small population-wise as Australasia.

An Ossie round of the AsiLMS is a really good prospect I think. I'd be surprised if the ACO weren't considering it.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3096501)   #6
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
In light of the announcement of the Asian Le Mans series recently does anyone think that an Australian version is within the realm of possibility?

Australia has a well established GT3 championship which could form the base of the GTC class, its got a great range of tracks and there are a couple of events that would fit perfectly (Sandown 500km and Bathurst 12 Hours).

Given that winter falls in the middle of the year in the southern hemisphere it would fit perfectly for the mid-season break for Le Mans.

Thoughts?
As Breitling's mentioned, a feature round - as a member of a greater, regional series (e.g. AsLMS) - seems a more likely possibility.

Economically, and demographically, Australia seems incapable of supporting more than one significant, (semi)professional motorsport series - at least, within the foreseeable future.
The market simply isn't large enough, nor interested to an extent that renders creation of an independent series an exercise of reasonable viability.

The local sportscar - specifically GT3 - scene (exempting B12H) is entirely amateur-oriented in nature, and operated solely to serve the interests of participating amateurs.
There's minimal spectator interest and, by association, lacking commercial sponsor interest. There's no incentive for (or, perceived interest by) the amateurs to provide seats to professional drivers.

There's also an imminent economic downturn. Which is another discussion entirely.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3096534)   #7
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd agree with most others, have an Australian round as part of the Asian series. Not sure what track they would use, mind you.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3096565)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think there is that level of interest for a full blown Australian/New Zealand series , but certainly interest in an Asian series that would take in a race in each country .
Old 22 Jun 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3096581)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Arnage, if I had to pick a track for an AsLMS round, I'd go with Philip Island. I know they've been modifying Eastern Creek (or whatever the new name is), but Philip Island just has a more open layout, which I think would be better suited to prototype and GT racing.

If the F1 race lapses, maybe then Albert Park would be an option.

On a side note, I'd be curious to see how the GT3s go at Hidden Valley.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3096590)   #10
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last I heard, there were going to be four (four!) rounds in China and one in each of Japan and Indonesia. Would have thought Oz was a no-brainer, but maybe I have no brain.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3096599)   #11
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Next to no chance of a series round here!
Unless of course, a Ford/Holden badge can be glued to the front of each of the cars/teams entered, and they are all painted red or blue, which would then ensure a full house of race fans and maximum exposure by our pathetic media over here.
Cynical response, but true. IMO
Old 22 Jun 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3096606)   #12
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Unless of course, a Ford/Holden badge can be glued to the front of each of the cars/teams entered, and they are all painted red or blue, which would then ensure a full house of race fans and maximum exposure by our pathetic media over here.
LOL, exactly what I was thinking when I wrote my reply, but not being a citizen of the Island-Continent, felt best to leave it for an Aussie to say, cynical is often the best.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 23:39 (Ref:3096620)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not cynical... but overlooking the fact that virtually all of the cars in the AusGT world are funded by their patron drivers... that there is negligible factory involvement in the series.. and for the most part, there arent 'young guns' in it that have been placed there to get more exposure/race craft.

A pukka AuLMS series could exist... if someone had more money than sense and was able to sponsor virtually the whole field, to get the infrastructure in place to make it happen...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Jun 2012, 23:58 (Ref:3096624)   #14
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Get a bunch of LMPC chassis, replace the GM engine with a Ford one in half of them, and you've got your series
Old 23 Jun 2012, 07:56 (Ref:3096681)   #15
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or use both and badge the GM engine as a Holden.
Old 23 Jun 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3096696)   #16
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Thoughts?
Australia's Le Mans Series could be a good, but I think that is not as good as Asian Le Mans Series.

I think the WEC or the ALMS calendar should be the Australian race.
Old 23 Jun 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3096735)   #17
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
My thoughts?

An Australian Le Mans Series would be pretty cool but it wont happen for a few reasons.

1. Money. We have a decent field of GT3 machines here in Aus GT but Im guessing its not pain free for those campaigning the cars. So with that said-how on earth do we expect people to move up to LMPC or LMP2 cars which are much more expensive to race? Not withstanding the fact that most people can point out a Ferrari or a Porsche in the street but wouldnt have a clue what an LMP was. That doesnt help find sponsors.

2. If it aint Holden or Ford here not many people care except for the diehard fans and they are few in number. Harsh but true. Maybe if you put some V8 Supercar drivers in seats you might get some more spectators.
Most people here including motorsport fans have been brainwashed into thinkng V8 Supercars are the be all and end all of motorsport on four wheels. Variety is the spice of life you idiots, any car on the WEC grid would be faster then a V8 Supercar on any track you mention. Most people here have the stupid idea that their beloved V8s would blow the doors off any of the Eurotrash or Japcrap (their words not mine) that race in ACO racing these days. The reality is somewhat different

*I like the V8s-I think Bathurst is one of the greatest tracks and the 1000 one of the toughest races in the world but so many people here need to take the blinkers off and enjoy the variety that motorsport offers outside V8s.

3. A race as part of the WEC or Asian Le Mans Series would make a far more realistic option and you'd have a bigger more stronger grid to boot with a chance of seeing Audi v Toyota which you would definitely not see in an AusLMS.

Its nice to dream isnt it? Too bad I got into sportscar racing after The Race of a Thousand Years..I dont care who was at fault for the race not returning but you screwed up royally!
Old 24 Jun 2012, 04:04 (Ref:3097005)   #18
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry Rich, it'll be back in the year 3000....

The biggest problem is that huge Holden vs Ford following is solely made up of bogans, the more motorsport orientated fan in Australia is rather rare in comparison.

And yes, I had an argument once with someone I knew who believed the Holden V8 Supercar would lap any track I cared to name faster than the GT1 Corvette C6.R....
Old 24 Jun 2012, 05:39 (Ref:3097009)   #19
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Don't worry Rich, it'll be back in the year 3000....
I can wait til then (starts tapping foot and glancing intermittedly at clock )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
And yes, I had an argument once with someone I knew who believed the Holden V8 Supercar would lap any track I cared to name faster than the GT1 Corvette C6.R....
Old 25 Jun 2012, 04:29 (Ref:3097565)   #20
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If someone with some promotional money went in - like the Gold Coast, or an event in WA with some government backing, and you had it for a few years, you'd build up a following. You'd have to argue whether a round of the Super GT or AsiLMS would be better with an eventual eye on the WEC.

You stage it as an entertainment event in or close to a big city and you'll be ok.
We all know that people never came to watch Champ Cars at the Gold Coast - they only came for the V8 Supercars - what happens when the Champ Cars go away? You get the lowest crowds in the history of the event and even after working it back up after a couple of of years you are still nigh on 100 000 down on when the Champ Cars were there.

Holding it out in the sticks won't work - get a direct link to Eastern Creek and you *may* have a chance, Sandown could work if they upgraded the track but it needs to be right there in front of people - so you'd have to be looking at a street event...wonder if Albert Park could be used twice a year?

It's possible...it would be difficult and I hope it happens.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 06:06 (Ref:3097580)   #21
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If a promoter can bring back "The Race of a Thousand Years" and have good prize money in place, and he opens up the entry for LMP2, GTE and GTC, then I am pretty sure many of the current teams from WEC, AsLMS and ALMS will travel.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 07:26 (Ref:3097600)   #22
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
If a promoter can bring back "The Race of a Thousand Years" and have good prize money in place, and he opens up the entry for LMP2, GTE and GTC, then I am pretty sure many of the current teams from WEC, AsLMS and ALMS will travel.
that'd be an excellent event
Old 25 Jun 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3098104)   #23
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Would you be thinking another 6-hour race for a revived Adelaide event, or some other duration/distance?
Old 25 Jun 2012, 22:41 (Ref:3098108)   #24
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
8 Hour would be ideal for me, 4PM to midnight. Run it on the same weekend as Clipsal 500 too, first schedule V8SC race for midday and then the second for Sunday, as per usual. Also make the Australian GT and/or Porsche Carrera AU cars eglible for GTC to boost up the grid counts.

Of course this will never ever happen but it's nice to dream a little

Let's face it, even Australian GT isn't in the best of shapes. If they cannot even attract GT3s, what change would ACO-style series/event have?