Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 21 Oct 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3155367)   #26
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
You're right, but even the English version on elms.com is extremely confusing.

http://www.europeanlemansseries.com/....php?news=2214

"qualifying a 3-hour", is that supposed to say "qualifying and a 3-hour..."? That would make sense.
If it was true i would be the unique prefering 2*3h than six hours, anyway is too much racing for a weekend, with 2*2h or 2*1,5 it would be perfect for me. Anyway i think the article says 1 single 3h race.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 15:41 (Ref:3155446)   #27
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Calendrier 2013 devoile
Quote:
Chacune des cinq manches se déroulera sur deux jours, avec des essais libres le vendredi, ainsi qu'une séance qualificative et une course de trois heures le samedi
And that means: "Each of the five rounds takes place over two days, with free practice on Friday, and a qualifying session and a race for three hours on Saturday".
Old 21 Oct 2012, 15:49 (Ref:3155450)   #28
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
And that means: "Each of the five rounds takes place over two days, with free practice on Friday, and a qualifying session and a race of three hours on Saturday".
Got there in the end......
Old 21 Oct 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3155454)   #29
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who is going to get the pits when they share with WSBR?
Old 22 Oct 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3155836)   #30
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I think my main issue with how the calendar now stands is that we've got a very busy April / May period, with quite a few events I'd like to go to in appealing locations, with the consequence that I'm unlikely to be able to do the lot of them, and then post Le Mans, a lot of stuff that frankly is a lot less likely to be accessible.

I guess a weekend break to Budapest in September is not entirely unfeasible - but realistically it almost feels like the old days when the season essentially finished with Le Mans.
Old 4 Nov 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3162595)   #31
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GT3 cars welcomed in ELMS 2013! Wasn't the case this year but nobody showed up?

http://audi-motorsport-blog.blogspot...ries-2013.html
Old 4 Nov 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3162614)   #32
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi View Post
GT3 cars welcomed in ELMS 2013! Wasn't the case this year but nobody showed up?
Yes... though the offer came out midseason, so there is a bit more hope someone would make full season plans...
Old 5 Nov 2012, 04:56 (Ref:3162728)   #33
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Blancpain teams?
Old 5 Nov 2012, 05:01 (Ref:3162730)   #34
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
I don't know really. Point is in Blancpain GT3s are the top class, the lone one (even they are devided in three). In ELMS they will be only the fifth one behind P2, PC and both GTEs.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 13:14 (Ref:3162869)   #35
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi View Post
I don't know really. Point is in Blancpain GT3s are the top class, the lone one (even they are devided in three). In ELMS they will be only the fifth one behind P2, PC and both GTEs.
Exactly. Pro drivers will always prefer Blancpain over ELMS GTC.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 17:06 (Ref:3162963)   #36
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Unless they (The pro's) drive the top class LMP2 ...

The GT's are the gridfillers at ELMS, the problem should be the lack of LMPs and also (For the ACO) the multiclass at GT's .
Old 5 Nov 2012, 17:30 (Ref:3162968)   #37
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
IMO what made life difficult for the 2012 ELMS was clearly the lack for GTE competitors. The LMP2 field was a good one.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 17:48 (Ref:3162970)   #38
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdragon View Post

The GT's are the gridfillers at ELMS, the problem should be the lack of LMPs and also (For the ACO) the multiclass at GT's .
Problem being... the grid didn't get filled, with the gridfillers.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3163015)   #39
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
True. But perhaps a few gentleman drivers prefer to drive for top5 class results in ELMS rather than not get into top30 overall in BES. After all, BES has 15 or so fully pro cars and then a massive number of Pro-Ams which are mostly a mixture of pro and quick young silver. In BES, the real gentlemen are having a hard time, unless they enter the gentleman cup so ELMS might be the solution for them.

Also, both being 5 weekends but ELMS without a 24h race, it's going to be massively cheaper than BES.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3163017)   #40
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Problem being... the grid didn't get filled, with the gridfillers.
Don't expect to fill ALL the grid with the gridfillers, maybe if there were assymetrically more LMP's than GT's you could blame GT's, its a generalised problem, not one of the GT classes only, i mean ELMS needs (2012) both more LMP's and GT's which is harder to solve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Provisional entry list for Donington now back down to 19...

12x LMP2
02x LMPC
02x LMGTE-PRO
03x LMGTE-AM
00x GTC/GT3
Maybe Ur right, i would give a "wild card" to a GT3 winner team to align a GTE at Le Mans or some solution like this.

Last edited by urdragon; 5 Nov 2012 at 20:24. Reason: Add quote
Old 5 Nov 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3163068)   #41
GTKers
Racer

Italy
Italy
GTKers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Main problem here is: Who does want to pay to drive watching the mirrors every 2 seconds?

Better play with a gt3 on the Blancpain than be in a tent in a renaul event and spend 3 hours being overlapped
Old 5 Nov 2012, 22:41 (Ref:3163078)   #42
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only reason I could see that you'd do it was if you were a team who wanted to eventually move up into the WEC or Le Mans but wanted to do it in stages and learn multi-class racing. Maybe you don't have the budget quite for a full-blown GTE.

But that's clutching at straws to be honest. I'd either secure a GTE somehow or just go Blancpain and take a crack at the Spa 24.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3163667)   #43
Thumper
Racer

Thumper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having chatted to a number of teams, the general reaction to the calendar and circuits has been favourable, but the reduction in race distance from 6 hours to 3 has not been well received. This is especially true of teams running in P2, where the requirement to run a gentleman driver still stands. Most would much prefer a longer format that would enable them to justify a three-driver line-up.

The suggestion that race length and meeting duration has been reduced to keep the costs down just doesn't hold water. I've heard from two teams, independently, who each claim that the saving will be around 10-12% max, but that they will lose out in other ways, not only financially, but also as a result of the format being less appealing to sponsors and drivers.

Also critical will be the TV deal that goes with this.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 11:11 (Ref:3163710)   #44
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Thanks, Thumper!
Old 7 Nov 2012, 13:45 (Ref:3163746)   #45
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
The suggestion that race length and meeting duration has been reduced to keep the costs down just doesn't hold water. I've heard from two teams, independently, who each claim that the saving will be around 10-12% max, but that they will lose out in other ways, not only financially, but also as a result of the format being less appealing to sponsors and drivers.

Also critical will be the TV deal that goes with this.
Why would it be less appealing to sponsors? 3 hour distances are much more TV-friendly than 6 hour races.

I do agree that this format is less appealing to drivers (especially professional drivers) because of less race time. Most teams need a gentleman-pay driver, and having a 3 driver line-up is too much for a 3 hour race.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3163753)   #46
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sponsors get half the exposure if the race is half as long?

The sponsors’ costs don’t go up if the team breaks, runs a full race, runs a longer race ... but a sponsor’s value received goes down if the race is half as long because it is half the time to be in front of fans, on TV, or mentioned on RLM.

Three hours isn’t particularly TV-friendly, either. A three-hour race is a 3:30 timeslot (pre- and post-race included) which is a big chunk of time already.

A TV deal which offered 90 minutes at the start and 90 at the finish would probably be better for the TV network (could run a football match and another shorter event in the middle) and also would end on the hour, when most events start, whereas the 3:30 show would cut into the next hour.

A network willing to devote 3:30 I’d think would be willing to devote 6:30—if they thought they had the fan base to justify one, the same fan base would justify the other. How many of us would only watch the first half of a race?

Much more likely someone would watch the start and first hour, do some yard work to keep the wife quiet, and watch the finish.

Of course, I am not a TV executive and am only guessing.

The big deal though, is team funding—not being able to offer a slot to another funded driver cuts into team revenue, which means they need more sponsor dollars, while offering less sponsor exposure.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 14:45 (Ref:3163762)   #47
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Sponsors get half the exposure if the race is half as long?

The sponsors’ costs don’t go up if the team breaks, runs a full race, runs a longer race ... but a sponsor’s value received goes down if the race is half as long because it is half the time to be in front of fans, on TV, or mentioned on RLM.
Unless you're expecting grid sizes of 50-60 cars, there will be plenty of time for each sponsor to get their "15 minutes of fame."

Quote:
Three hours isn’t particularly TV-friendly, either. A three-hour race is a 3:30 timeslot (pre- and post-race included) which is a big chunk of time already.
I don't know how TV schedules work in Europe but here in North America, a typical sporting event has a 3-4 hour time slot.

Quote:
A TV deal which offered 90 minutes at the start and 90 at the finish would probably be better for the TV network (could run a football match and another shorter event in the middle) and also would end on the hour, when most events start, whereas the 3:30 show would cut into the next hour.
You just said that a 3-hour race provides half the exposure, isn't 2 90-minute sessions even worse?

Quote:
A network willing to devote 3:30 I’d think would be willing to devote 6:30—if they thought they had the fan base to justify one, the same fan base would justify the other. How many of us would only watch the first half of a race?
Motorsport fans will watch a race no matter the length. But an average viewer doesn't have the patience for a 6-hour race.

Quote:
The big deal though, is team funding—not being able to offer a slot to another funded driver cuts into team revenue, which means they need more sponsor dollars, while offering less sponsor exposure.
I guess teams will have a make a hard decision, have two gentleman drivers or one gentleman and one pro. Like I said before, I find that this is the only problem with shortening the race distance.
Old 7 Dec 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3176256)   #48
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few days ago Endurance-info made a ELMS silly season and they was speaking about 20 cars on the grid.
They also talked about a likely new french team with a LMP2, any idea about who is that team? Maybe Sbarta?
Old 7 Dec 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3176262)   #49
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
A few days ago Endurance-info made a ELMS silly season and they was speaking about 20 cars on the grid.
They also talked about a likely new french team with a LMP2, any idea about who is that team? Maybe Sbarta?
And if half that grid is their version of the GTC class, I'll call it now, you can put a fork in this series. It's done.
Old 7 Dec 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3176269)   #50
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
There were talks about running together with French GT at Imola, but apparently the French GT teams weren't interested in doing an endurance race, so they'll remain a support race.

Kinda tells you what to expect, though.