Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Pick the champions!
Audi Sport Team Joest 79 50.32%
Toyota Racing 42 26.75%
Porsche 31 19.75%
Rebellion Racing 2 1.27%
OAK Racing 1 0.64%
The other guys... 2 1.27%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Dec 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3346633)   #76
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
At this point the Nissan LMP1 program is somewhat common knowledge, at least in the inner ring of sportscar fanatics!
Badly worded, imho. It is about believing what their PR says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
I actually see more drawbacks than advantages if sportscar racing became as popular (or more popular) than F1. Sorry for going off topic.
No need to worry about that. A championship that's not a driver-centric championship will not ever keep millions of people watching it for 6 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Let's hope FIA no longer repeat what they did to the old Group C
So far it has gone the opposite way, since the mistake was to force teams to use F1-derived engines and now in 2014 regs it is merely a possibility.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 14:23 (Ref:3346634)   #77
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
No need to worry about that. A championship that's not a driver-centric championship will not ever keep millions of people watching it for 6 hours.
Explain that one for me?
Old 21 Dec 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3346638)   #78
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
plus ACO can not automatically accept Nissan's outside-the-rules concept (referred in the recent interview).
Since when was it considered "outside the rules"? Nissan interpreted the rules differently, doesn't mean it's flat-out illegal.

We don't even know what their idea is.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 14:49 (Ref:3346644)   #79
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Explain that one for me?
Length of the races is a nightmare for television. F1, Nascar and MotoGP are all driver-centric categories, the general masses mainly root for the drivers and not for the vehicles (excluding maybe Ferrari, but I think that is more comparable to a football club).

First one of these obstacles is fixable, but second one is obviously what the category inherits even in shorter race format.

WEC can grow a lot but in my opionion because of the last part it just can not reach the kind of mainstream status like the three series mentioned above. Hard to believe that even the old WS(PC) was close to F1 in terms of popularity - if it had been, it probably would not have died in a mere year.

Last edited by deggis; 21 Dec 2013 at 14:58.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3346646)   #80
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Since when was it considered "outside the rules"? Nissan interpreted the rules differently, doesn't mean it's flat-out illegal.

We don't even know what their idea is.
That's what I meant, just tried to keep it short, but ACO still can't auto-accept it... another thing that makes the supposed condition weird.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3346662)   #81
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Length of the races is a nightmare for television. F1, Nascar and MotoGP are all driver-centric categories, the general masses mainly root for the drivers and not for the vehicles (excluding maybe Ferrari, but I think that is more comparable to a football club).

First one of these obstacles is fixable, but second one is obviously what the category inherits even in shorter race format.

WEC can grow a lot but in my opionion because of the last part it just can not reach the kind of mainstream status like the three series mentioned above. Hard to believe that even the old WS(PC) was close to F1 in terms of popularity - if it had been, it probably would not have died in a mere year.

Yeah, I understand all that. I was forgetting the sacrifice that has to be made on the altar of the great TV gods.... Sports car racing, as they say, has always been 'car-centric' or 'team-centric' and for my money, long may that be the case. I appreciate that this doesn't work in financial terms, but the compromises or sacrifices that have to be made aren't always worth it.....
Old 21 Dec 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3346682)   #82
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IĀ“m really tired of PR smoke and fans dreams. There isnĀ“t any formal commitment from Nissan, Honda (LMP or GTE), Renault or Ferrari.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3346720)   #83
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Badly worded, imho. It is about believing what their PR says.
If you look at it that way we'd have to wait until the first practice session goes green to see who is technically "committed" to the FIA WEC. It's really quite a silly way to look at it --- nothing would ever be "confirmed" until the first practice session at an event.

Quote:
I completely agree... it's team centric, and long live it. But so is football, American football, baseball, cricket, basketball, and look how popular they've gotten. Just because a sport or series is "team centric" doesn't mean it can't become popular.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3346728)   #84
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
If you look at it that way we'd have to wait until the first practice session goes green to see who is technically "committed" to the FIA WEC. It's really quite a silly way to look at it --- nothing would ever be "confirmed" until the first practice session at an event.
Official announcement (press release) and giving the exact year when it is going to happen a la Porsche would be a pretty good confirmation. Certainly not the same thing as vaguely mentioning "possible future P1 program" in interviews or in press releases about another car (DW/ZEOD). Ambition to do something in P1, that is common knowledge.

Quote:
I completely agree... it's team centric, and long live it. But so is football, American football, baseball, cricket, basketball, and look how popular they've gotten. Just because a sport or series is "team centric" doesn't mean it can't become popular.
Do these sports have singles matches? Just saying that ball game team sports are different on many levels, starting from the fact that they are usually geographicallly connected to a city, so I wouldn't compare* and they are still more about the few individuals (star players) and the input of a single player is in a certain way more visible.

* ehm... I actually did compare Ferrari & football, but I only meant in the way tifosi fan context... and that is mostly a geographical thing.

Last edited by deggis; 21 Dec 2013 at 19:58.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3346754)   #85
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Official announcement (press release) and giving the exact year when it is going to happen a la Porsche would be a pretty good confirmation. Certainly not the same thing as vaguely mentioning "possible future P1 program" in interviews or in press releases about another car (DW/ZEOD). Ambition to do something in P1, that is common knowledge.

Do these sports have singles matches? Just saying that ball game team sports are different on many levels, starting from the fact that they are usually geographicallly connected to a city, so I wouldn't compare* and they are still more about the few individuals (star players) and the input of a single player is in a certain way more visible.

* ehm... I actually did compare Ferrari & football, but I only meant in the way tifosi fan context... and that is mostly a geographical thing.
OK OK you win this time.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3346766)   #86
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Beetle;3346720]If you look at it that way we'd have to wait until the first practice session goes green to see who is technically "committed" to the FIA WEC. It's really quite a silly way to look at it --- nothing would ever be "confirmed" until the first practice session at an event.

I believe the term is "When the green flag drops the bullshit stops."
The entry list may well be confirmed but experience has shown that hardware on the grid is often different.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3347046)   #87
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/man...uts-a-daytona/
Slightly more on the Larbre front... Manuel Rodrigues is looking for a full-season ride, assuredly with Jack Leconte's team?
Old 22 Dec 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3347068)   #88
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Sports car racing, as they say, has always been 'car-centric' or 'team-centric' and for my money, long may that be the case. I appreciate that this doesn't work in financial terms, but the compromises or sacrifices that have to be made aren't always worth it.....
Agreed. Isn't this why we all fell in love with this type of racing in the first place? No doubt it is what leads to the endless passionate debate by those who fear the "car-centric" aspect may be in danger. Racing has become so expensive that all forms are slowly creeping towards more cost containment, as well as speed and technological limitations. LMP1 is one of last bastions of true innovation. Several car manufacturers still see relevance in that thankfully, so the WEC for now appears to have a bright future.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 09:32 (Ref:3347165)   #89
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Cricket!! now there is a good example, last for about 6 hours each day and people watch that. They can bloody well watch Sportscars haha.

Saying that cricket isnt as popular anymore in the longer test form, but from tv research i have done cricket was basically all the sport BBC used to shown until the 70s. Get a whole days worth of cricket on tv compared to two short 20 min sections from an F1 race usually.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 04:57 (Ref:3347486)   #90
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Good point morningview66.

If I haven't said this before, mark your calendars for February 13th - FIA WEC and Le Mans 24 entries will be officially announced at the ACO Press Conference.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3347676)   #91
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/wec/chris-dy...c-elms-drives/

Chris Dyson looking to run in the WEC and ELMS, possibly with Greaves again
Old 26 Dec 2013, 05:11 (Ref:3347904)   #92
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://sportscar365.com/wec/chris-dy...c-elms-drives/

Chris Dyson looking to run in the WEC and ELMS, possibly with Greaves again
I wouldn't expect Greaves in the WEC next year, although perhaps someone here can prove me wrong.

Nevertheless, Le Mans is definitely possible (and probable) so maybe Dyson's aiming for that alongside a full ELMS program?

From my understanding, Greaves's current consensus is:
- No TUSC
- Less than 50% chance of WEC
- Likely in ELMS
Old 27 Dec 2013, 22:00 (Ref:3348204)   #93
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I canĀ“t believe nobody voted for Rebellion Racing. That is so pesimistic. I did
Old 28 Dec 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3348284)   #94
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Prospeed Competition might have the same drivers from 24h Le Mans.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 17:39 (Ref:3349250)   #95
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
@dsceditor
Looks like #FIAWEC may be set to add a successful team from another branch of motorsport - Waiting for call back from them #GTE
DAMS?
Old 31 Dec 2013, 18:54 (Ref:3349273)   #96
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
DAMS?

Language!

Old 31 Dec 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3349276)   #97
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
DAMS?
That's a good one, Simmi.

I have a feeling it will be Drayson Racing. They've signed up for Formula E and set the electric land speed record. They ran at Le Mans with Paul Drayson, Jonny Cocker, and Marino Franchitti in a GT2 Aston in 2009. Perhaps a GTE-Am Aston Martin in conjunction with AMR's factory plans?
Old 31 Dec 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3349281)   #98
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
GG tweeted a correction, it's actually TWO teams from outside endurance racing looking at WEC. https://twitter.com/dsceditor/status/418088187081134080
Old 31 Dec 2013, 19:06 (Ref:3349285)   #99
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
GG tweeted a correction, it's actually TWO teams from outside endurance racing looking at WEC. https://twitter.com/dsceditor/status/418088187081134080
Bet it's Ferrari and Red Bull.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3349286)   #100
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I wonder what it should be...