Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Nov 2015, 12:25 (Ref:3592661)   #1
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MSV targeting pre-LM24 WEC round

MSV are aiming for the pre-Le Mans WEC fixture in place of Spa. The event would take place at their new French track.

http://news.motorsportvision.co.uk/m...expansion.aspx
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121925
Old 23 Nov 2015, 12:47 (Ref:3592669)   #2
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In place of Spa? Wouldn't mind it to be as well as Spa, but not replacing it!
Old 23 Nov 2015, 12:57 (Ref:3592673)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Nuclear deterrent bomber activity" - Sounds good

But YES bring it on. As there is no intention of F1, you could expect moderately sensible layout and less asphalt parking zones. The return of Grade 2 (assuming Kyalami doesn't get it first).

Spa has the ELMS (back) now. It can go. Though I'd rather replace Silverstone...
Old 23 Nov 2015, 12:58 (Ref:3592674)   #4
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree with Akrapovic.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 13:09 (Ref:3592677)   #5
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would like to keep Spa as well. But this is highly speculative since the track doesn't actually exist yet. Nice to have a different option though, and MSV are a serious operation.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 13:52 (Ref:3592690)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course, it isn't written in stone that pre LM season can consist of only 2 races by law.

LMS 2008 had three 1000kms in Apr-May.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 14:03 (Ref:3592696)   #7
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...and if I'm not mistaken, there were even more races before Le Mans in the late 60's and early 70's
Old 23 Nov 2015, 14:11 (Ref:3592699)   #8
Deleted
Veteran

Yes most of the races - almost entire calendars - were pre LM back in the day, between January and June. And even still in 1992 at the time of collapse the number was at four.

But the old WSC is so far scretched from the current ACO mindset that the LMS example works bit better. Even though that too is nearing ancient nostalgic history now in relative terms
Old 23 Nov 2015, 21:14 (Ref:3592768)   #9
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WEC does seem very optimistic especially with how important the ACO view calendar stability
Old 23 Nov 2015, 21:27 (Ref:3592773)   #10
Deleted
Veteran

Maybe Palmer had contacted the ACO earlier already, and the Spa ELMS was formed as precursor replacement event to fully and solely to take current 6 hours place eventually. As it is baffling why they chose to have two separate events on same track (yeah I know Sepang ASLMS does that too, but it's because of money and market)
Old 23 Nov 2015, 21:27 (Ref:3592774)   #11
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
In two years time the wec might be able to have a 10race schedule.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 23:35 (Ref:3592831)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Though I'd rather replace Silverstone...
But not with a French round. GB needs sportscars, and I think sportscars need GB.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 23:39 (Ref:3592835)   #13
Deleted
Veteran

Yeah but I would rather have any other circuit in UK but the butchered Silverstone. And if that is impossible then France is close to UK... second home?

Hiya ACO remember Donington Park? Yes the last "Nightmare on ELMS street" visit was disaster indeed, but that wasn't the circuit's fault, and the previous 2006 event was perfectly fine.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 02:49 (Ref:3592863)   #14
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
How about that wales circuit?
Old 24 Nov 2015, 10:14 (Ref:3592960)   #15
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
How about that wales circuit?
I'm not sure how, but I had either completely forgotten it after reading about it, or this is the first time I'm hearing about it! Guess I haven't played much attention lately...

But yeah that too, anything.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 10:36 (Ref:3592965)   #16
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Circuit of Wales is being designed for bikes. Given that one of the reasons for the Silverstone modifications was to incorporate bikes, I don't know why anyone would expect that circuit to be anything other than a giant green car park.

Given Doningtons state after it's rebuild, and Brands Hatch being too small, I don't see a circuit in the UK more fit than Silverstone. And whilst many may not like the new modifications, I still think it's a better circuit than Fuji, China and Bahrain. It'd be a sad day if we lost Silverstone before them.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 14:07 (Ref:3593002)   #17
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
But not with a French round. GB needs sportscars, and I think sportscars need GB.
I'm not too sure about that last part, how many British teams are there in the WEC? It seems it's much more about France and money markets (Russia, Middle East, Far East?, Mexico?) nowadays. Maybe the reborn and booming ELMS (or a rotation between the two) is a better fit?

Anyways, I hope it'll all become reality, location wise it's certainly easy to reach from a lot of corners in West-Europe (that should help) and it's been a while since a promising sounding lay-out (on paper at least) has been introduced to the racing series. As far as a 'possible future WEC round' goes: an ELMS or BES round seems much more likely to begin with.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 15:40 (Ref:3593015)   #18
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see ELMS racing there, but not WEC. There is just no way france will get both rounds two and three in the championship, FIA will not allow one round to be "wasted", when they can go to a country that actually adds something to the appeal of the series (i.e where the manufacturers wants to go)
Old 24 Nov 2015, 18:13 (Ref:3593047)   #19
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
What about replacing Paul Ricard? French, non round, parking lot..
Old 24 Nov 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3593048)   #20
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
I can see ELMS racing there, but not WEC. There is just no way france will get both rounds two and three in the championship, FIA will not allow one round to be "wasted", when they can go to a country that actually adds something to the appeal of the series (i.e where the manufacturers wants to go)
Yes and I'm sure the likes of Audi were extremely pleased to see both Sebring and PLM, you know the primary key markets, gone in favor of such vital media magnets like 6 hours of Bahrain.

Anyway this would
- cut logistics costs
- even better prep teams for LM (and that is always more important than anything else)
- please ACO for having another French race

Of course, if they would turn LM standalone race again, no technicalities...

Last edited by Deleted; 24 Nov 2015 at 18:22.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 18:42 (Ref:3593057)   #21
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I'm not too sure about that last part, how many British teams are there in the WEC? It seems it's much more about France and money markets (Russia, Middle East, Far East?, Mexico?) nowadays.
Eventhough I don't think sportscar desperately needs the UK, it must not be neglected that the Le Mans tv ratings on UK Eurosport has been on the 150k figures on the last 5 years and, this year, there was the additional Quest ones which brought a total rating over half million people.

We don't see big attendance in Silverstone but that might be due to the windy, chilly weather that WEC races in

Of the current WEC/F1 calendar, only Suzuka, Spa and Monaco are track layouts that I rate higher than Silverstone. I really wish this round remains in the calendar for a long time.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 03:39 (Ref:3593164)   #22
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Yes and I'm sure the likes of Audi were extremely pleased to see both Sebring and PLM, you know the primary key markets, gone in favor of such vital media magnets like 6 hours of Bahrain.

Anyway this would
- cut logistics costs
- even better prep teams for LM (and that is always more important than anything else)
- please ACO for having another French race

Of course, if they would turn LM standalone race again, no technicalities...
I think we know the fia/aco isnt the sole party to blame for Sebring going away. If Peugeot return, I can see this track being a bigger deal. That means each lmp1 manufacturer has a 'home' race.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 08:51 (Ref:3593193)   #23
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I'm not too sure about that last part, how many British teams are there in the WEC? It seems it's much more about France and money markets (Russia, Middle East, Far East?, Mexico?) nowadays. Maybe the reborn and booming ELMS (or a rotation between the two) is a better fit
List of team HQs.

LMP1
Germany - 4 - Audi, Toyota, Porsche, ByKolles (1 Japanese, but based in Germany)
UK - 1 - Rebellion
United States - 1 - Nissan (If they return)

LMP2
UK - 2 - Strakka, Jota
France - 2 - Signature, Oak
Russia - 1 - G-Drive
Hong Kong - 1 - KCMG
Switzerland - Sard-Morand
US - 1 - ESM

Total -

Germany - 4
United Kingdom - 3
France - 2
United States - 2
Russia - 1
Hong Kong - 1
Switzerland - 1

Just a selection of teams HQs, and some of them may be wrong (I'm not sure where Sard-Morand and G-Drive actually operate from, and I think ESM are moving to a French base?). But either way, the most popular ones are Germany, France and the UK. If you include GTs then it's just adding more to the UK, Germany, France and some Italians, which further strengthens the European base and the need for a British race, and a good argument for an Italian one (Monza please!)

Edit: This doesn't include SMP yet. They seem to be all over the place.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 25 Nov 2015 at 08:57.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 09:55 (Ref:3593204)   #24
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Spa is one of two non-LM rounds I have any interest in watching (Fuji being the other), if they take that away then I guess it gives me another free weekend near the end of the football season (OK, more time for the Blancpain GT and IMSA rounds that it clashes with...).
Old 25 Nov 2015, 10:26 (Ref:3593209)   #25
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Spa is one of two non-LM rounds I have any interest in watching (Fuji being the other), if they take that away then I guess it gives me another free weekend near the end of the football season (OK, more time for the Blancpain GT and IMSA rounds that it clashes with...).
May I ask why you did not watch any of the others? Silverstone was pretty incredible, and surely the Nurburgring is still old-school enough to have some interest to those who refuse to watch Tilke circuits?