Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Mar 2002, 16:11 (Ref:243687)   #1
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
ACO works...

For those who are ACO members, or simply interrested, I had the ACO letter today, sying that they made a brand new... head-office, and a brand new fourth level for... VIP only

More news : from now, there's only one gate open when there's no race, the gate nearby the museum. I said open ? Oups, sorry... form now one, the track is... closed to the public...

I loved to have a little walk around the grandstands when I was around Le Mans... not possible anymore

I said that ACO take good care of the public... i was right... oh, sorry, you're not a VIP ?
Old 25 Mar 2002, 18:46 (Ref:243790)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I didn't get a letter!

Special treatment for you, eh Fab?!

Does this mean no more pics of the track changes then?
Old 25 Mar 2002, 19:04 (Ref:243813)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Special treatement ? I paid the basic fee !

And the answer at your question is YES ! Last time, I went in by luck, passing through the control too fast, with a serious face and my job dressing... very concerned, know what I mean ?

Last edited by Fab; 25 Mar 2002 at 19:04.
Old 25 Mar 2002, 22:15 (Ref:244012)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest, could you not get in from the road sections or are they fenced off ?

I would guess that there would be some sort of barrier but often there is a pedestrian gate or other way past. I realise that they must try to prevent cars getting in or you would have every boy racer in the area zooming around on Friday and Saturday night.

SL

SL
Old 26 Mar 2002, 06:32 (Ref:244244)   #5
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Only one gate, for vehicles and pedestrians... that means you could wander on the open roads (from start of Mulsanne straight to new Porsche section), that's definitely all... the Bugatti part is closed to the public...

I didn't try to get in by the tracks (closed by fences), but remember it's a private area...

There's often police or gendarmes nearby the way in and way out of the track...
Old 26 Mar 2002, 12:26 (Ref:244333)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have not heard anything yet from them. However with luck I will be Media this year and not have to pay attention to those rules for the lowly General Admission folks.

An American friend of mine got onto the grid last year by pretending to be with the journalists. Oddly enough it was the Corvette team that spotted her for a ringer and had her tossed out; the Saleen guys helped her climb over the pit wall! If Takuma is lurking around here, it wasn't me and I have never done this myself.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 13:36 (Ref:244405)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
If Takuma is lurking around here, it wasn't me and I have never done this myself.

Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:35 (Ref:244509)   #8
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
On a similar note...

In 2000 I was there with a friend early in the week. He has a very nice 289 Cobra replica and wanted a picture of it on the start finish line. During the day on Wednesday we spotted the gates onto to the track by Maison Blanche were open and sneaked in - though you can hardly sneak anywhere with a Cobra! We drove through the Ford chicane, past the mildy confused workers painting the rumble strips and got the photos. However by then the gate was closed and we were stuck! A friendly American in the pits after observing, 'You're not meant to be here are you!', let us into the pitlane and from there we made our way out through the pits to freedom.

The interesting thing is that once you are in an area you aren't meant to be in, people assume that as you are there it is okay. Later on foot, we found an open gate from the pitlane grandstand into the pits. Then we just turned our passes back to front and spent a couple of hours watching the teams preparing. The Panoz team were doing practice driver and wheel changes right in front of us. One poor sod kept getting it wrong, and was being shunned by the rest of the team! It is all very relaxed until practice starts on Wednesday, shame I will miss it all this year - the 3 day coach trip has been booked again...
Old 26 Mar 2002, 17:17 (Ref:244527)   #9
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have done this in the past, right up to the late 80's it was very easy to get on the track, I have photos of my old MR2 on the start line in 89 and a nissan a few years before. then it was possible to drive round to the start of the straight, then you had to come back, against others doing the same as you had just done!!

SL is a master at getting in the pits and makes lots of new friends there!!!
Old 26 Mar 2002, 17:31 (Ref:244538)   #10
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go Punto

Sad news. I regret to learn that those hystoric pictures I took of my mighty powerful Fiat Punto in the track will never be repeated...

Circuits are not only getting more and more dull - they are also less and less friendly!
Old 26 Mar 2002, 18:06 (Ref:244561)   #11
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
last year i bumped into a 22 year old mexican female student who was studying in nantes. she'd been placed there by hecate who are one of adrian fernandez sponsors in cart. this tenuous motorsport connection had inspired her to visit le mans. and so as the race went by she'd unhooked the catch on the gate at dunlop bridge during one of the monumental showers around 9pm...no-one was around to stop her and so was walking up and down the grandstand straight getting wet and wondering why everyone else hadn't had the same idea!
Old 26 Mar 2002, 19:13 (Ref:244602)   #12
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Made in heaven

Hey kdr,

A friendly advice: invite this Mexican girl out and marry her as soon as possible.

With her passion for motorsport - plus other qualities I kinda figure out from you message - she's just the perfect match...

Cheers,

Muzza

P.S.: One day I will post a message about my religious-like experience driving the mighty powerful Fiat Punto in the Nurburgring Nordschleife.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 19:30 (Ref:244615)   #13
SL
Veteran

It is actually quite easy to get into the pit lane, two of us have done it every year on Wednesday and Thursday night. The race is a bit harder though. But as said above, once you are in very few people even take a second look at your pass. The smaller 911 teams are always willing to let you browse the pit.

Last year some guy in the Panoz pit let us see during a pit stop.

You have to know where the secret pit entry gate is though first

SL
Old 27 Mar 2002, 12:49 (Ref:245109)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sarah and I had pitlane tickets last year and we had to laugh at some very well dressed people who couldn't get in the gate and hadn't the gumption to find some other way in. If you're down on the pitlane when one team is practicing a lot of people assume you are part of the team and they don't bother you. But don't try it with Corvette or Audi. They are paranoid.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 13:36 (Ref:245129)   #15
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
liz

i've seen those audi guys up close while looking for a shortcut to the pit-lane.

question is...whos guarding the president?
Old 27 Mar 2002, 17:10 (Ref:245238)   #16
Liz
Veteran

We asked some of the Audi drivers why their guys look at anyone with a camera as if they're about to shoot them, and they just looked very uncomfortable.

Corvette just looks at you like that because that is their natural facial expression, I think.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 17:51 (Ref:245274)   #17
kdr
Veteran

i haven't even dared venture thru the audi back entrance(ooo-er), since i saw those guys. funny because their hospitality unit is so hospitable.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 20:26 (Ref:245371)   #18
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That really sucks. Bloody ACO can't they get anything right?

I just await the day when the FIA and ACO are made to regret kicking oput the real fans.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 21:36 (Ref:245437)   #19
SL
Veteran

Paul, it ain't that bad. I think one of the reasons is the collectors who will pick up anything not bolted down. Plus if you had the fastest car would you let everyone in to see how you done it. Probably not.

On a plus point you dad maybe one of the lesser teams on pit row but they are the ones the true fans head for as those teams tend to have little to hide, know what they are talking about (no PR girl to divert you away) and, provided that they are not all deep inside a broken engine working to a deadline, will show you the details, accept a beer / coke / cigeratte even let you have a photo taken sitting by / in the car.

SL
Old 27 Mar 2002, 21:52 (Ref:245447)   #20
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see your point there Simon!!

Working hard to deadlines, sounds like Le Mans 1990!!!