Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Jan 2004, 22:36 (Ref:833843)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New ALMS Team in LMP1

SpeedArena and the ALMS sites both announced that AutoCon Motorsports (a strong Trans Am team) in conjunction with RPM Holdings LLC were the parties who purchased the American Spirit R&S, and that the two drivers who campaigned it last season -- Michael Lewis and Tom Drissi -- will be the pilots this season...

From what I read I believe they will upgrade the power from the Lincoln to an Elan engine....

Those two drivers were very competitive late in the season as the became more acclimated to the chassis and I expect them to be a podium contender throughout the year...

Two talented drivers in a good racing package suited to North American circuits will make this a team to watch this year...

BTW....MLewis (he used that name on-line) has contributed his thoughts on this forum...and I am confident that others associated with that operation have as well due to the insight we have received from them concerning the R&S chassis as well as the Lincoln power that was used last year...

Good to have them racing this year, and I look forward to following their efforts at Sebring and throughout the season...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Jan 2004, 23:05 (Ref:833878)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ofcourse with all the discussion on cheap big power we had, they went with an Elan powerplant? not bad i guess, but it isn't going to win with that.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 23:56 (Ref:833922)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
On the other hand, as it stands right now, there are likely only three cars faster on pace then this car. A little luck... and... well you've got a well known powerplant, very reliable.

I'm not sure there is any engine that could be put in that car to make it straight up faster then the Audi.

We all knew this announcement was coming for months, glad to have in finally be official.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 00:07 (Ref:833931)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
ofcourse with all the discussion on cheap big power we had, they went with an Elan powerplant? not bad i guess, but it isn't going to win with that.
I don't think they "went with" anything - that's the engine that's been in the car all along, no?
Old 11 Jan 2004, 00:42 (Ref:833947)   #5
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No they raced with a Lincoln powerplant last year

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 11 Jan 2004, 00:57 (Ref:833952)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Lincoln is the Ford with a different badge. But wasn't that prepared by Elan?
Old 11 Jan 2004, 01:19 (Ref:833963)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

no the Elan is built by Panoz- the lincoln was built by Lozano Bros.
now a Yates/Roush (yoush or Rates?) engine may do better-
or even that twin turbo Kiwi motor (a 4litre toyota with 800hp) from http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredveh...142_0311_kiwi/
relax it a bit and it may be a good runner. heheheh
Old 11 Jan 2004, 01:32 (Ref:833980)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Elan is a Panoz company.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 02:01 (Ref:833995)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes...Elan is a Panoz company...

The Lozano Bros. are builders who are based in Texas, I believe...

The Lincoln engine is from the same Ford-based block (probably the 351 Windsor) but "how" the engine is built from there obviously is much different (injection systems, intakes, engine management systems, configurations of the Cylinder heads, etc.) as wel all know...

They went with good, solid, reliable power....and remember, an R&S with an Elan engine was on the podium at Sebring in 2002 with Matthews Racing...and Panoz was fifth at Sebring and Le Mans...

I think it's a good engine choice for them...

Old 11 Jan 2004, 03:11 (Ref:834019)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

isn't the 351 windsor block pushrod? i imagine the DOHC blocks don't have the pushrod channels or the Cam slot in the block either.
and sorry about Elan is built by panoz- i meant to clarify that the Elan/Panoz motorsports group or whatever they are called, built said motors, and the "lincoln" was a Lozano Bros.
and 2 years since the original elan podium at sebring might prove it is a good candidate, but we have shown that other possibly better finds exist...but better to err on the side of caution and podium every race, than win 3 and blow up 6 times.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 03:13 (Ref:834020)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

as you know to Finish first, First you must finish
Old 11 Jan 2004, 03:37 (Ref:834030)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having seen Michael Lewis and Tomy Drissi tangle in Trans Am, I wonder if the purpose of their driving together is so only one of them is on the track at a time.

Only kidding, I think they are both a great addition to the field and I'm glad they will be racing in ALMS next year.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 03:41 (Ref:834034)   #13
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
noise boy 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
isn't the 351 windsor block pushrod? i imagine the DOHC blocks don't have the pushrod channels or the Cam slot in the block either.
and sorry about Elan is built by panoz- i meant to clarify that the Elan/Panoz motorsports group or whatever they are called, built said motors, and the "lincoln" was a Lozano Bros.
and 2 years since the original elan podium at sebring might prove it is a good candidate, but we have shown that other possibly better finds exist...but better to err on the side of caution and podium every race, than win 3 and blow up 6 times.
All of the panoz LMP01s and the R&S lincoln cars used a 351 windsor based engine. Nobody has used the ford "modular" DOHC engine as packaging with the large head assembly is a problem as well as the higher center of gravity of the plant. As I have understood it, the differences with the various versions of the 6L windsor motor are in the intake, cam, and head design, as well as ECUs the engines architecture is common to all of the builders. Robert
Old 11 Jan 2004, 05:11 (Ref:834048)   #14
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I figure they will be on or very near the podium next year.

They will have the Champion Audi ahead of them and the Dyson cars intermingled with them if they dont self destruct.

Is intersport gonna run their R&S too, and do they still have a Lola?
Old 11 Jan 2004, 05:29 (Ref:834055)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Intersport are expected to run both the Lola with the larger Judd, and their R&S.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 09:29 (Ref:834134)   #16
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FYI, the Lazano brother built that Lincoln for the Dyson R&S which is that particular chassis. They also built the engines for their old MKIIIs.

It seems they will be a podium contender, as there are no more Panozes. LMP looks to be terrible in the ALMS this year. No new cars. just old ones changing hands. With the amount of cars, looks about like 2002 GA.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 11 Jan 2004, 09:34 (Ref:834136)   #17
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't someone else race a panoz, it didn't do that bad last year not for someone to pick one up! I think a team should buy or rent a Panoz and race it. It would make the races even closer

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 11 Jan 2004, 11:11 (Ref:834176)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Good news for the ALMS, IMO.

Any pic of the car with the new "team" colors ?
Old 11 Jan 2004, 12:47 (Ref:834232)   #19
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
They went with good, solid, reliable power....and remember, an R&S with an Elan engine was on the podium at Sebring in 2002 with Matthews Racing
And a second place at Daytona 24 too
Old 11 Jan 2004, 13:42 (Ref:834279)   #20
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally, I say go with the Judd GV-5 V10 engine, similar to what was used by Robinson Racing in their Mk IIIc. It suits the R&S very well, and delivers better useable torque.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:10 (Ref:834319)   #21
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What ever happened to the 6 Panoz that competed in 2000 LM? There were 2 TV Ashai LM01s, 2 "Spyders" entered by Panoz, and the 2 LMP07 disasters. Also, didnt Gunnar own his own too since he did that awesome WWII paintjob for Sebring that one year?

Maybe even the 07 could be competitive with the 3.4L Judd in it? There were a couple being run on and off in 02 with Mugen engines that did pretty poorly but that was against 3 Audis, 2 Caddys, and 2 works Panoz...now would be the time to step up...

Last edited by billnchristy; 11 Jan 2004 at 14:10.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 22:44 (Ref:834733)   #22
Megatron
Rookie

Megatron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were five Panoz in 2000. Two factory, two Japan, one Neilson double rool hoop. Just two 07s in 2001. 2002 had two factory, one Mugen Paonz 07, and the movie Panoz from DAMS, which actually looked decent for a "movie" car.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 00:27 (Ref:834839)   #23
gttouring
Veteran

so are the elan motors pushrod?
this is th epart i didn't get- or are they a dohc placed on a windsor block?
Old 12 Jan 2004, 02:49 (Ref:834898)   #24
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
noise boy 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
so are the elan motors pushrod?
this is th epart i didn't get- or are they a dohc placed on a windsor block?
yes, the elan 6.0L engines are pushrod design. Although you can get ohc heads for these engines packaging them is a pain due to the increased height. Robert
Old 12 Jan 2004, 14:08 (Ref:835392)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
All above is correct concerning the Ford engines....the windsor is a pushrod and the DOHC engine's size and geometry make it too big and too top heavy for a prototype...

We had a lengthy discussion about this in a thread last summer call "Next Generation of Ford Sportscar Engines"

and I would agree with gttouring on his point that the Yates/Roush merger will offer an opportunity to get an engine that might take someone to the next level...

But for this team, for this first year, the Elan is a great choice and they will be competitive....