Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:13 (Ref:835555)   #26
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....the windsor is a pushrod and the DOHC engine's size and geometry make it too big and too top heavy for a prototype"
you mean a DOHC Winsdor type?
Reallly i had no idea people were using blocks for whatever- i would think they'd get a proper OHC block to use for a OHC engine never using a Windsor OHV block and sticking cam heads on top-
with the five litre Ford Cammer motor Ford Racing has built (out of the box it make 425-500 horses i.e. from Ford Racing and as in the Ford 500 show truck) i hope this is the engine that see most developmnt.
and is this related to the OzV8 motors? they run 5.0Litres at 620+ horses....hmmm.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:25 (Ref:835567)   #27
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had asked last summer about the 4.6L DOHC or Quad-Cam Ford and the 5.4L DOHC Ford in the "Next Generation of Ford"....

I was told that the 4.6 L didn't have the room to really increase the displacement (but I haven't been able to confirm that), and that the 5.4 L's ovarall size was too big, etc...supposedly the 5.4 L block is big....like the old Ford 429 block...in measured size....it is used in their trucks and SUVs....

Those were the engines I was referring to.....

Exploring the possibility of lengthening the stroke of the 4.6 L DOHC might be an option....but it would require a bigger cam....I don't know if there is room for it....I was told this engine doesn't have lots of extra room for boring out anything on the heads or the block...

I couldn't get more specific answers on these questions than what I noted here...the 4.6 L has been used in Mustangs, Lincoln Mark VIII's etc...it has fairly good power to it...

If others do know any possibilities for this 4.6 L Ford, please share with us....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 15:52 (Ref:839335)   #28
The Treester
Racer

The Treester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
Intersport are expected to run both the Lola with the larger Judd, and their R&S.
Fogelhund, is this confirmed?

:confused:
Old 15 Jan 2004, 20:10 (Ref:839550)   #29
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Intersport hasn't updated their site, so I guess we'll either find out through annannouncement by them or through the Sebring Entry List when it becomes public the 1st week of February...

Old 15 Jan 2004, 20:54 (Ref:839593)   #30
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be clear, Fogelhund has referred to their B160 (ie the Lola "MG" without the "MG" in it anymore), not the old B2K/10. They had converted it to Judd for PLM.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Jan 2004, 21:39 (Ref:839644)   #31
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
On another thread (maybe Le Mans Entries???) there was a listing cited by someone (maybe Fab?) that had two Lolas listed for Intersport...

I think that is where the confusion may have come from....

As for me, I have always understood that their entries would be the same this year as they were from the Road America race onward, when they campaigned the Lola B160 that got the 3.4 L Judd for Petit and the LM 1000K, plus the R&S MkIIIC they bought from Matthews Racing last summer that they equipped with Elan power...

But they sure surprised us last fall when they popped that Judd V-8 in the Lola, didn't they????

I'll wait until I see what they announce to be sure...unless someone out there knows something we don't....

Old 15 Jan 2004, 23:46 (Ref:839792)   #32
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
On another thread (maybe Le Mans Entries???) there was a listing cited by someone (maybe Fab?) that had two Lolas listed for Intersport...

I think that is where the confusion may have come from....

As for me, I have always understood that their entries would be the same this year as they were from the Road America race onward, when they campaigned the Lola B160 that got the 3.4 L Judd for Petit and the LM 1000K, plus the R&S MkIIIC they bought from Matthews Racing last summer that they equipped with Elan power...

But they sure surprised us last fall when they popped that Judd V-8 in the Lola, didn't they????

I'll wait until I see what they announce to be sure...unless someone out there knows something we don't....
Well.................... watch this space!!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 06:54 (Ref:840012)   #33
Vman
Rookie

Vman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
Graham, you little tease!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 13:57 (Ref:840382)   #34
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
To Graham...

"IF" Intersport went with a second Lola B160 w/Judd power, they would be able to use that 2nd Automatic Bid to LM without going through the "request for approval" process with the ACO for the R&S chassis, wouldn't they?

and "IF" they have made that change, that means there is another R&S MkIIIC that would possibly be on the market...

Bet someone could get a decent price for it, provided Inteersport didn't pay too much for it last August, and have a good chassis to race this year....

Remeber, the AutoCon team that bought the American Spirit R&S paid either $200,000 for it (if they mad ethe deposit and picked it up with a trailer at Petit) or they paid $225,000 for it...

At least that was the advertised price by American Spirit when they put it up for sale last year...

Since virtually all of those players who have that car now had raced with American Spirit last summer, I'm betting the price was the best one they could get....

Talk about a "Deal of the Century!"

Put soem decent power in that R&S and you have a podium contender for the ALMS season....and we covered what this kind of effort could be mounted for int he "Shoestring" thread....

Time to buy a few more Powerball Lotto tickets, guys!!!!!

First one of us to hit should go racing!!!!

Old 16 Jan 2004, 14:49 (Ref:840467)   #35
The Treester
Racer

Quote:
Dannnnngggg! What a tease!
I thought I was bad, third car R&S isn't confirmed, right?

Or does speedy has something up his sleeves!

Or do I have to call BA?
Old 16 Jan 2004, 15:48 (Ref:840541)   #36
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Wait a minute!!!!

To Treester:

So you're sayting that the two Lola B160s for Intersport are a go, and wondering if they are doing the R&S as a third car???

Or is therre another R&S chassis out there besides the Intersport and the AutoCon cars that might be entered in ALMS???

Now I am confused.....

Old 16 Jan 2004, 16:41 (Ref:840616)   #37
The Treester
Racer

Okay now I'm confuse?!?!?!?!

I thought that LAST YEAR Intersport had a Lola B2K/10 and a Lola MG EX/257 and a R&S. Keeping mind that they didn't sell the BK/10, they have three cars. They just opted to run the R&S for realiability and cost in lieu of the B2K/10? I guess?!?!?! :confused:

I never stated that there are two EX/257 chassis, just two Lola's!

Remember the EX/257 are, not confirmed, a cool mill! Probably 2 if you build it piece by piece. Tidbit, it uses a champ car gear box, and it ain't cheap! The front nose is a piece of art and expensive.

Need very deep pockets for one, definietly two!

Old 16 Jan 2004, 17:12 (Ref:840640)   #38
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
DSC ran an interview with Jon Field last August just after Intersport bought the Matthews R&S, in which he said they'd bought 2 chassis (which suggests a second R&S) and in the future might run 3 cars on occasion.....

Last edited by KA; 16 Jan 2004 at 17:16.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 17:38 (Ref:840663)   #39
The Treester
Racer

Spare tub I believe but I could be wrong!?!?!?!?!

Maybe it was a bargain for two therefore opting to run the R&S in lieu of the B2K/10?!?!?!?!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 18:08 (Ref:840699)   #40
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Personally, if I had the choice of running an R&S that has all of the most current aero upgrades or the Lola "Tractor Nose" that looks like an upside-down boat keel and quite frankly, hasn't shown the same kinds of results that the R&S has in racing the choice would be a no-brainer.....I'd run the R&S....

Now chew on this possible piece of news.....

On the LMES thread, Graham alluded to an announcement from Hugh Chamberlain that should come in days, not weeks, that will outline his plans, and Graham also alluded that Hugh may not run the Lola MG...

Maybe Intersport worked a deal with Hugh that gave him the capital to launch the new venture...maybe not a buy, but a lease, or something of that nature....

Maybe we're also just keeping our eyes focused on LMP1 options, when their plans might be to run the B160 with the Judd and the R&S in that class, and run a third chassis in LMP2 by catching a cheap B2K/40 from someone....

Like I said earlier...there seem to be more than a few of them out there and I saw them for as cheap as $80,000 while surfing for info on for that "Shoestring" thread.......

Old 16 Jan 2004, 18:10 (Ref:840704)   #41
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Maybe we're also just keeping our eyes focused on LMP1 options, when their plans might be to run the B160 with the Judd and the R&S in that class, and run a third chassis in LMP2 by catching a cheap B2K/40 from someone....

Like I said earlier...there seem to be more than a few of them out there and I saw them for as cheap as $80,000 while surfing for info on for that "Shoestring" thread.......
DSC also mentioned a week or two back that Lola had just sold the last new B2K/40, and I'm sure the report said it was ALMS-bound.....
Old 16 Jan 2004, 18:22 (Ref:840715)   #42
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
and Rand's announcement involved chassis that already were in their hands from running in Grand Am....

Hmm....the plot thickens!!!!

Old 17 Jan 2004, 10:33 (Ref:841411)   #43
The Treester
Racer

Quote:
Hmm....the plot thickens!!!!
It seems like Intersport Racing has a nice relationship with Lola from what I'm reading in this post, therefore what would stop them from purchasing a new Lola B2K/40b...hmmmmm???

...and it just got thicker!!!!

Old 17 Jan 2004, 12:34 (Ref:841496)   #44
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
There was five MK3C chassis built . Two currantly with Intersport , one with Robinson , One with Autocon , so there is a spare chassis out there someplace .

Or how about Intersport done a deal with Hugh Chamberlain for his MG and Hugh will run an R&S in the LMES , Just a thought !!!
Old 17 Jan 2004, 13:47 (Ref:841554)   #45
The Treester
Racer

Hmmmm, so r u saying that they might run two small Lola's in lieu of the R&S? Remember the tub that was wrecked at Miami and repaired. Maybe another chassis was purchase to replace the damage one.

Remember it didn't have a comlete Intersport paint scheme until Petite b/c it, the chassis, belong to someone else, correct?

Now what happen to the old B2K/40 Lola? That makes four rolling chassis, counting the R&S ?!?!?!?!

Old 20 Jan 2004, 04:15 (Ref:843535)   #46
Vman
Rookie

Vman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The plot is revealed:

http://www.americanlemans.com/storyA...12004_flms.asp

Looks like 2 Lolas for Intersport. Jon in the B160/Judd and Clint in the new B2k/40 Judd they just bought from Lola. Full ALMS and LeMans(that explains the ACO list). They will also run the R&S in select events.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 13:38 (Ref:844028)   #47
The Treester
Racer

Sorry Tim, I was going to spill the beans to you first but the forum was down for me yesterday and someone else new besides me, reveal info from another site!

I'll due better next time!

Old 20 Jan 2004, 14:43 (Ref:844110)   #48
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Yep

Intersport with three cars at Sebring (and perhaps for other rounds but an LMP1 Lola and LMP2 Lola both with the same engine!!
Old 20 Jan 2004, 15:12 (Ref:844137)   #49
The Treester
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Treester
I'll due better next time!
Duh, I was thinking of a bill at the time, I meant "do".

Must work on my multi-tasking skills. Don't want to put a set-up on the wrong car!!!

Last edited by The Treester; 20 Jan 2004 at 15:16.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 16:18 (Ref:844228)   #50
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Yep

Intersport with three cars at Sebring (and perhaps for other rounds but an LMP1 Lola and LMP2 Lola both with the same engine!!
Makes sense- runing 2 cars using the V8 at the majority of races makes more sense than having to carry spare engines etc for both the V8 and V10.....