Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 30 Jun 2002, 22:29 (Ref:324769)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F12002, anyone tried it? Thoughts?

Everyone's being going on and on about how great GP4 is, and I have to admit for the most part I was sold. But, I read a review comparing it to F2002, and the reviewer shed light on a lot of problems with the drivability in GP4 compared to EA Sport's F1-2002.

So does anyone own this game? How is? Better than GP4? And I'm talking about drivability, I could careless how pretty the cars look.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 17:13 (Ref:332805)   #2
Benz_7
Rookie

Benz_7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hired out F1 2002 and it drives alright....its tricky using a keyboard, but i do imagine that it would drive nice using a joypad or wheel

but i can't compare it to GP4 yet (it isn't at the video shop yet) but i reckon that F1 2002 is definately worth a look...good drivabilty i reckon
Old 12 Jul 2002, 19:32 (Ref:332898)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay, you can't beat GP4 for drivability. What problems did the review mention?
Old 13 Jul 2002, 01:31 (Ref:333045)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
It said the drivability was unrealistically easy... judging by the fact that almost nobody has had any difficulty with it, I'd guess that the review was correct.

A few things it mentioned:

-abnormally high amounts of highspeed grip (GP3 had this to an extent...the review of GP4 claimed it was possible to go flat out through Eau Rouge with no front wing in the wet!)

-possible to pass half the field on the start (This was true in GP3...the AI seemed to be very easy to pass in the first few corners of a race..then they get more competitive)

-unrealistic gearboxes (GP3 was bad here...you could downshift too early and nothing would happen..you wouldn't feel it at all! If you did this in real life you'd be spinning a la mika hakkinen at Monza...then crying) Also, regardless of when you upshift, you'll always accelerate to top speed in about the same time....odd. (I think this was one of my biggest beefs with GP3)

I tried the demo of F12002 and wasn't terribly impressed...the cars felt more like boats in water than cars on pavement...and the graphics weren't anything to rave about. Also, the style is still very arcadish...

GP3 was pretty good, but I still think GPL is the most realistic one out there...even over GP4.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Jul 2002, 01:49 (Ref:333065)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would probably go along with that. Ish. I genuinely think that the Modern F1 Car is a far easier beast to tame than many of us think. Eddie Irvine (for all his critics) has said in the past that driving an F1 car is "pretty easy really".

re: GP3.

Eau Rouge. Going through there flat is one of the best things in any game ever. Why?? Because you can't and if you try it (and I have) you have the most amazing crash ever. The car actually TAKES OFF รก la BAR!!

Starts: yep, still too easy to cruise up the inside.

Gearbox: erm... POSSIBLY. But then the latest gen of F1 'boxes don't do what they did to Mika any more. They're Auto and don't jerk as much on an early downshift. Re: upshift, I wouldn't know. I leave it Auto for the sake of realism!!

But then GPL is genius. Sequel please.
Old 13 Jul 2002, 03:21 (Ref:333103)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I'm pretty sure most drivers still use a manual downshift and it does jerk the car a bit...GP3 and GP4 has nothing aparently.. it would be nice.

It's very easy to go flat out through Eau Rouge in GP3 if you have a medium or high downforce setup. It only becomes a challenge if you put a lower downforce setup on, which some of the teams do opt for.

It really is amazing that so much later GPL is still the most realistic...I really wish those guys would make another Cart game..that would be awesome. Classic F1 is probably the toughest era to compete in, but nothing beats a good battle on a superspeedway...running 3 wide in the middle at 250mph..ahh..Indycar 2.

Oie, yes...and modern F1 is a bit of a joke... I think you're right actually...the fact that teammates are so close to each other this year shows that it's the cars and not the drivers these days.

Last edited by Jay; 13 Jul 2002 at 03:23.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 18 Jul 2002, 17:12 (Ref:336664)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i have the PS2 version of F1 2002, and it is one of the best games i have ever played. handling, graphics, lifespan all totally spot on.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 21:27 (Ref:336890)   #8
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that it mostly depends on car setup. High downforce will take you falt out through Eau Rouge. But then try a more "realistic" setup with little wing and add some packers to reduce ride height and the minute you step on a curb at Eau Rouge you'll be spinning out of control.

Also, if you have steering help enabled it's a great deal easier. I (unfortunately) got used to it and now I can't do a single quickrace without it without crashing.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 13:27 (Ref:337385)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
If you touch a curb going through Eau Rouge of course you're going to spin...

Just try leaving all the drivers aids off and learning it. It'll take a while, but it's so much more rewarding when the computer isn't controlling everything - which makes me wonder about F1 today with everything more automated...
Old 19 Jul 2002, 20:25 (Ref:337687)   #10
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite alarming when you have to leave TC, LC AND Auto boxes ON to make it "realistic"!!

I'm completely back in love with GPL, btw. The Ferrari 312 just frightens the bejesus out of me!! Absolute beast. Sounds like a chorus of angels. Looks amazing. Almost impossible to drive. Wheelspins in practically any gear. Nuff said.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 09:34 (Ref:338591)   #11
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the bad thing about the F1 series by EA is that there are so many driver aids, you end up using them all first and just forget you're using them. of course when you take them off you're never gonna be going in a straight line on the exit of a corner.

ive never ever played the GP series though ive heard what itlacks in drivability it makes for in its gameplay and lucious extra's and add-ons.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead