Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Sep 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1415147)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Webber voted off of board of GPDA

Webber has been voted off of the Grand Prix Driver's Association board of directors Its up on gazzetta.it.
That leaves Michael, Jarno, and David as the remaining 3. What do you make of this? Could Coulthard's spat with him have had something to do with it?

If someone can find an English link, please post it.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 23:24 (Ref:1415153)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The gazzetta is not the most reliable of sources, so it could not be 100% true.

It could be a good move for Mark, concentrating on his driving more.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1415159)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandprix.com
Mark Webber has stood down from the board of the Grand Prix Drivers Association, having grown tired of trying to get the drivers to work together. We hear that the organisation will continue with just three directors: Michael Schumacher, David Coulthard and Jarno Trulli. The exact details of what has happened are not clear but it is known that Webber has been unhappy for some time with the way in which Michael Schumacher preaches the message of the GPDA but continues to drive in his usual uncompromising fashion. The two men collided in Turkey recently and this is believed to be the root cause of the problems.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15659.html
Old 24 Sep 2005, 00:10 (Ref:1415164)   #4
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The topic title and the actual facts are laughable. Good on Mark for standing down, his driving style probably doesnt suit what the GPDA stands for either.

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 24 Sep 2005, 00:18 (Ref:1415165)   #5
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Autosport/Atlas F1 reports it rather differently; this is the lead:

"Webber Voted Off GPDA

Mark Webber has been voted off the board of directors for the Grand Prix Drivers' Association following a re-election."

(Full story at Autosport-Atlas F1)
Old 24 Sep 2005, 04:22 (Ref:1415213)   #6
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know exactly what to think of the actual situation, whatever has happened - but it shows how a tiny little detail can completely switch around a story - and everyone else follows... I wonder how long it will take until we actually find out about what has really happened
Old 24 Sep 2005, 04:33 (Ref:1415214)   #7
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Grandprix.com would be more credible, simply because if Webber was voted off in a RE-ELECTION, you'd think someone would be voted on to replace him.

But anything's possible. Good to find out what really happen.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 05:11 (Ref:1415222)   #8
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
EDIT: removed as off topic posts are now gone

Anyway, seems like Webber was voted off, because they thought there was one too many directors.

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/...to769308.shtml

Last edited by Adam43; 24 Sep 2005 at 09:36. Reason: referred to off topic posts that have been removed
Old 24 Sep 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1415259)   #9
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty poor year all round then.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1415261)   #10
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
blbk.

I've heard that grandprix.com is a good, credible source of news/information... Whether he was voted off or simply stood down remains to be seen. Either way, I don't think he'll be having too many sleepless nights over it.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1415272)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This thread has nothing to do with his driving. Do not take it off topic so others can't discuss something different for a change.

Thanks
Old 24 Sep 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1415283)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps a combination of the two is true - the GPDA directors unanimously decided to go down to only having 3, and Webber said "I don't want to carry on, so I'll be the one to leave?". We'll need more information on this one before we can have a reasonable discussion on it, and I'm sure the usual arguments will have ruined the thread by then...
Old 24 Sep 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1415317)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pitpass suggests that only 3 were needed, and the 'vote' was based on 'last in first out' criteria. So it kinda fits both theories, he was both 'booted' and he voluntarily 'stepped down'. hrug:
Old 24 Sep 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1415384)   #14
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
http://za.today.reuters.com/news/new...R-20050924.XML

Webber claims he was voted off. He's recently had run ins with both Coulthard and Schummi. So I guess its not surprising.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1415386)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Grandprix hasn't been much credible in recent years. While they have some credible and vastly experienced writers, i am amazed at their level of "fair judgement", which clearly showed dislike for FIA and Ferrari, while maintaing a "everything is right as long as it's not FIA".

But not taking Grandprix into account (though i admit i read Grandprix almost every other day to get a more all-rounded view of F1 issues), i must say that i believe in the general reporting of issues that Mark was voted off rather than "grew tired and step down".

Mark has been highly critical of other drivers this year, while paying little attention to his own.

His role as a GPDA director is on unstable ground when DC was highly critical of his driving. And it is ironic that Mark suggested that Michael should be voted off after Indy GP, when Michael referred the incident as a technical issue (rightly so) than something that a driver should address to. This suggest to me that GPDA has long been thinking about reducing the number of directors, and some political games are underway. With this news, the trio of remaining drivers, with the support of others, must have felt that Webber is the least equipped to fulfil that important role and be objective.

In any case, it would be good for him as he could now concentrate on his driving instead.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 14:27 (Ref:1415398)   #16
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Have you got a link to Webber suggesting Michael be voted off? I remember reading opinions about Schumacher's position untenable after the Indy thing, but not about Webber specifying on that issue.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1415700)   #17
F1_KING
Rookie

Australia
F1 WORLD
F1_KING has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i like his quote in an article, "I won't lose any sleep over it".
Old 28 Sep 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1419125)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the drivers who are members of the GPDA would have voted here, presumably - it's not just a case of DC and Schumi deciding they don't like him.

All the drivers except Villeneuve are members, I believe.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1419154)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of the McLaren driver's isn't IIRC. The other pays his subs, but doesn't participate.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1419261)   #20
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
I assume too that everyone voted, but that isn't made clear. Plus all the news sites just confused me when they say it was a matter of first in, first out - what was the vote about then? Or was the vote on whether to agree with the "first in, first out".

Yeah I believe Kimi doesn't turn up, not sure about Montoya. Villenueve isn't a member but turns up anyway.