Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2012, 09:52 (Ref:3080414)   #1
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Garry" - voice from the pits on BBC

Can someone please tell me who is this guy Garry who is "reporting" from the pits for BBC??
I've never seen him on the screen, and it doesn't matter, but I'm wondering if some of the teams will hire him pure on his prediction/tactical abilities.

I mean, he is amazingly good at predicting things, and this weekend he was right at it again. For qualifying, his predicitions of times needed to go to next round are usually acurate within a tenth of a second (??!!), and during the race, his observations are just as acurate, and he doesn't have any telemetry data in front of him!

I'm simply amazed.
Old 28 May 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3080416)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Gary Anderson, ex-designer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_An...8motorsport%29

Selby
Old 28 May 2012, 10:00 (Ref:3080423)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The man is fantastic at what he does.
Old 28 May 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3080436)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I struggled with the accent at first, but he's fantastic. Love hearing his stuff!

Seems alot more composed than Ted.

Selby
Old 28 May 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3080439)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ted is the media studies goon that struck gold.

In fairness he has improved but then so did James Allen.
Old 28 May 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3080440)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think he had trouble with the sound system initially. They seem to have that cured and yes, he is very good at what he does.
Old 28 May 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3080442)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

Definitely! I like Ted, don't get me wrong. He's improved so, so much.

But you've got the genuine experience based knowledge from Anderson that'll always be difficult to compete with.

Selby
Old 28 May 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3080443)   #8
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
As an Englishman living in Norn Irn (as pronounced here), I can vouch for the fact that all Ulstermen sound as if they've had 25 Bushmills and a bottle of Paracodol. You get used to it.
Old 28 May 2012, 10:28 (Ref:3080444)   #9
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I feel sorry for Gary when he is 'forced' to shove a microphone in his peers' faces after the races. Demeaning to him and them.
Old 28 May 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3080448)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely no different to DC or Brundle et al?
Old 28 May 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3080450)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
everyone understands why he does it. it's an awkward thing to learn to do if you're not a natural media type with questions at your fingertips. i think people underestimate the difficulty of live and unscripted interviews.
Old 28 May 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3080479)   #12
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
everyone understands why he does it. it's an awkward thing to learn to do if you're not a natural media type with questions at your fingertips. i think people underestimate the difficulty of live and unscripted interviews.
There was a funny whatever-you-call-it with Jenson and Lewis being 'reporter' and 'director' respectively, on BBC before the race, and it proved just that.

Back to Gary - OK, I understand he has experience and knowledge, but he seems to be better at prediciting things than many people that actualy work in the teams, and they, besides experience and knowledge, have all the live data at all times...
Maybe that's what's confusing them
Old 28 May 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3080541)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
That he gets stuck in with the interviews with the rest of the team is part of the charm of the BBC approach, IMO. And of course there's the pen and pad while all the Sky guys are fiddling around with their glossy gizmos. What's not to like?
Old 28 May 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3080546)   #14
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The man is amazing. His Q2 and Q1 qualifying time predictions were spot on, which were very impressive - why has no-one ever thought of predicting the times required before?

It's the one good thing to have come out of sky coming in - they have taken Ted K off the BBC's hands and the BBC have gone and replaced him with a genius with a proper technical understanding of the whole show.
Old 28 May 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3080656)   #15
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like it's easier, and more successful to teach an ex-designer some media skills, than it is to teach a journalist the intricacies of F1 racing.

The info on expected 'safe' times was spot on. When drivers posted times outside that Gary suggested, I thought "he's going to drop", and he did!
Old 28 May 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3080674)   #16
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The man is amazing. His Q2 and Q1 qualifying time predictions were spot on, which were very impressive - why has no-one ever thought of predicting the times required before?
Agreed, and he also designed the best looking F1 car since they grew wings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_191.
Old 28 May 2012, 17:10 (Ref:3080679)   #17
wheelsportaddict
Racer

England
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
wheelsportaddict should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gary Anderson has been a superb addition to the BBC team and a far better member of the team than TK. His technical knowledge really gives him an advantage when he explains stuff to the commentary team.

I think that helps with his predictions as well. Another point I would make is that GA is known by many members of the pit lane and maybe some team members are willing to tell him a little bit more than TK would be able to.
Old 28 May 2012, 17:12 (Ref:3080680)   #18
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
And this was at least second time - he did it last time too (I'm not sure what was the last race I watched on BBC), and that is what actually made me taking notice of his predictions, and I was truly amazed when he got them right again...
Old 28 May 2012, 17:55 (Ref:3080707)   #19
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsportaddict View Post
Gary Anderson has been a superb addition to the BBC team and a far better member of the team than TK. His technical knowledge really gives him an advantage when he explains stuff to the commentary team.

I think that helps with his predictions as well. Another point I would make is that GA is known by many members of the pit lane and maybe some team members are willing to tell him a little bit more than TK would be able to.
He really has made a difference in my opinion. His technical insight is unmatched anywhere else on motor sport TV and I find his approach eloquent and refreshing, he really does know his subject.

Add to him Coulthard, multiple GP winner only a few years ago, Jordan, a GP winning team owner, and the SKY team really do look like the "B" team to me.

But that's a different thread.....opps
Old 28 May 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3080718)   #20
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Agreed, and he also designed the best looking F1 car since they grew wings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_191.
Exactly how I've described that car to people!

It's true.
Old 28 May 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3080722)   #21
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lucky that he escaped from Sultana
Old 28 May 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3080844)   #22
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

I love GA's stuff, especially when his notepad and felt-tip pen run rings around the Sky CGI. This is a man who walks the walk, even if I can't always understand the talk (but that's part of the charm too: he is so non-meeja).
Old 31 May 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3082357)   #23
petecossie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Teesside
petecossie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think GA is one of the best things to come out of BBC/Sky deal. Since I don't have Sky, I've only managed to watch one race so far on some else's TV. Still prefer BBC, especially with GA's very insightful comments. Thing is because he has been in the F1 business for so long his knowledge is so vast on the intricacies of the car's workings, when he makes a comment it is all coming naturally he does have to think about it. Mind being of the older generation like myself, he still needs to have his pad and pen, which is a nice touch. It's just like me at work!!
No disprect to Ted, his background was media, it is just so refreshing to have someone in the pits that really knows what he is talking about.
Old 31 May 2012, 11:27 (Ref:3082483)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I agree with all the positive feedback about Gary Anderson. He's knowledgeable, experienced and bull****-free. Plus, my other half, who's from County Down, loves his "country accent". At Monaco, particularly, I liked: "Gary, how wet is it where you are?" GA: "Wet enough." Apparently anyone from Norn Irn would know exactly what he meant.
Old 31 May 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3082696)   #25
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Just got around to watching the BBC Forum. Have to say, he's a bit of a star, isn't he. No need for fancy visual gimmicks to explain what he needs to. Very impressed.