Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Apr 2023, 11:28 (Ref:4150609)   #2176
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2023 TBL Team Car Driver Status Jack Sears
EXCELR8-1BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceIngram Confirmed in press release Inel.
EXCELR8-2BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceChilton Confirmed in press release Inel.
EXCELR8-3BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformancePearsonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
EXCELR8-4BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceHalsteadConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Motorbase-1NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STSuttonConfirmed as 3-year deal in press releaseInel.
Motorbase-2NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STCammishConfirmed as 3-year deal in press releaseInel.
Motorbase-3NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STOsborneConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Motorbase-4NAPA Racing UKFord Focus ST RowbottomConfirmed in press releaseInel.
HARD.-1HARD. Cupra LeónButelConfirmed in press releaseElig.
HARD.-2HARD.Cupra LeónThompsonConfirmed in press releaseInel.
HARD.-3HARD.Cupra LeónPattersonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Boardley-1HARD.Cupra LeónLloydConfirmed in press releaseInel.
Aiden Moffat-1HARD.Cupra LeónEdwardsConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Aiden Moffat-2HARD. Cupra LeónHamiltonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Speedworks-1Toyota GAZOO Racing UKToyota Corolla GR SportButcherConfirmed in press releaseInel.
Speedworks-2Toyota GAZOO Racing UKToyota Corolla GR SportCollardConfirmed in press releaseInel.
Speedworks-3Toyota GAZOO Racing UKToyota Corolla GR SportGambleConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-1Team BMWBMW 330e M SportMorganConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-2Team BMWBMW 330e M SportTurkingtonConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-3Laser Tools Racing with MB MotorsportBMW 330e M SportHillConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-4Team BMWBMW 330e M SportJelleyConfirmed in press releaseInel.
PMR-1CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall Astra Taylor-SmithConfirmed in press releaseInel.
PMR-2CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall AstraWatsonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
HARD.-4CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall AstraDobleConfirmed in press releaseElig.
BTC-1Starline Racing by One MotorsportHonda Civic Type RMoffatConfirmed in press releaseInel.
BTC-2Starline Racing by One MotorsportHonda Civic Type RCookConfirmed in press releaseInel.
BTC-3One Motorsport?Civic FK8????Reported as looking to expand to four Civics???
Team Dynamics-1One Motorsport?Civic???’One’ Reported as looking to expand to four Civics - Team Dynamics taking a sabbatical in 2023???
Team Dynamics-2?????????Team Dynamics taking a sabbatical in 2023???
TOCA-1Not allocated    
TOCA-2Not allocated    
TOCA-3Not allocated    
???Parker Motorsport?Alfa Giulia????Press release states a planned return after hybrid is introduced???
???Parker Motorsport?Alfa Giulia????Press release states a planned return after hybrid is introduced???
???Bert Taylor Racing???????Talked about getting a TBL for 2023???
?????????Proctor?Has described 2022 as a sabbatical Inel.
?????????Smelt?Has described 2022 as a sabbatical Elig.
?????????Hamilton?Talked about being in a car for 2023 Inel.
?????????Hand?Previously confirmed as multi-year at PMR in press release Elig.
???VolvoKiaT.Harvey Rumoured in threads every year, has to be true one day Inel.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 11:37 (Ref:4150611)   #2177
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Makes you wonder if the BTCC needs to re-evaluate the NGTC formula then?
I'm convinced you pop up with the same question each off-season, and then the same people reply with how much cheaper a TCR car is.

The answer is always the same too...

A TCR car is mass-produced, good to go. It's ideal for club-level touring car racing or a mid-tier championship (see the failure of WTCR with BoP disagreements and compensation weight tussles one element of its downfall, or how TCR Australia is a few rungs below Supercars). A season is chump change in comparison to BTCC. We know this. Everyone here.

A BTCC car is built by each team, using a selection of shared parts and some unique elements too (aero, induction, weight distribution etc) for a far greater cost than a purchased TCR. But, being built specifically for a championship, to its own ruleset, adds a level of prestige (and the cars are more exciting to watch, requiring a more aggressive set-up and driving style) to what is the UK's most-popular four-wheel series.

Also, £500k isn't the cost of running a BTCC car, that's the cost of a top drive, at a top team, inc. a profit margin for the squad and kickbacks to the driver as a wage/commision.

Finally, while the cost is significantly more, so is the exposure for sponsors and that's really what you invest in. So in total, we should be discussing total 'value' and not total 'cost'.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 11:41 (Ref:4150612)   #2178
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
From Autosport - three of their own, Boardley’s, and the two Moffats.
Source: https://www.motorsport.com/btcc/news...quad/10453726/

"Although Hard possesses just three TBL entrants' licences, it is also using one owned by its former driver Carl Boardley plus two belonging to Aiden Moffat, whose Scottish team's Infinitis were based at Hard's premises for much of 2021 and 2022 and who this season has switched to the One Motorsport Honda squad."

Also, at the bottom, Marcus seems to think indeed that One Motorsport does have one last driver to announce - and I trust Marcus.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 11:47 (Ref:4150613)   #2179
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
2023 TBL Team Car Driver Status Jack Sears
EXCELR8-1BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceIngram Confirmed in press release Inel.
EXCELR8-2BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceChilton Confirmed in press release Inel.
EXCELR8-3BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformancePearsonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
EXCELR8-4BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceHalsteadConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Motorbase-1NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STSuttonConfirmed as 3-year deal in press releaseInel.
Motorbase-2NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STCammishConfirmed as 3-year deal in press releaseInel.
Motorbase-3NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STOsborneConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Motorbase-4NAPA Racing UKFord Focus ST RowbottomConfirmed in press releaseInel.
HARD.-1HARD. Cupra LeónButelConfirmed in press releaseElig.
HARD.-2HARD.Cupra LeónThompsonConfirmed in press releaseInel.
HARD.-3HARD.Cupra LeónPattersonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Boardley-1HARD.Cupra LeónLloydConfirmed in press releaseInel.
Aiden Moffat-1HARD.Cupra LeónEdwardsConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Aiden Moffat-2HARD. Cupra LeónHamiltonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Speedworks-1Toyota GAZOO Racing UKToyota Corolla GR SportButcherConfirmed in press releaseInel.
Speedworks-2Toyota GAZOO Racing UKToyota Corolla GR SportCollardConfirmed in press releaseInel.
Speedworks-3Toyota GAZOO Racing UKToyota Corolla GR SportGambleConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-1Team BMWBMW 330e M SportMorganConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-2Team BMWBMW 330e M SportTurkingtonConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-3Laser Tools Racing with MB MotorsportBMW 330e M SportHillConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-4Team BMWBMW 330e M SportJelleyConfirmed in press releaseInel.
PMR-1CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall Astra Taylor-SmithConfirmed in press releaseInel.
PMR-2CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall AstraWatsonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
HARD.-4CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall AstraDobleConfirmed in press releaseElig.
BTC-1Starline Racing by One MotorsportHonda Civic Type RMoffatConfirmed in press releaseInel.
BTC-2Starline Racing by One MotorsportHonda Civic Type RCookConfirmed in press releaseInel.
BTC-3One Motorsport?Civic FK8????Reported as looking to expand to four Civics???
Team Dynamics-1One Motorsport?Civic???’One’ Reported as looking to expand to four Civics - Team Dynamics taking a sabbatical in 2023???
Team Dynamics-2?????????Team Dynamics taking a sabbatical in 2023???
TOCA-1Not allocated    
TOCA-2Not allocated    
TOCA-3Not allocated    
???Bert Taylor Racing???????Talked about getting a TBL for 2023???
?????????Proctor?Has described 2022 as a sabbatical Inel.
?????????Smelt?Has described 2022 as a sabbatical Elig.
?????????Hamilton?Talked about being in a car for 2023 Inel.
?????????Hand?Previously confirmed as multi-year at PMR in press release Elig.
???VolvoKiaT.Harvey Rumoured in threads every year, has to be true one day Inel.
Why are the Parker, Bert Taylor entries still on the list? Pretty obvious they are a fantasy
Old 6 Apr 2023, 13:01 (Ref:4150617)   #2180
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Why are the Parker, Bert Taylor entries still on the list? Pretty obvious they are a fantasy

Could it possibly be because this is the 2023 season discussion, News and Rumours thread? Seems likely to me.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 14:09 (Ref:4150625)   #2181
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I don't remember this amount of fallout when 888 disappeared 5 years ago.
Correct. I raised this point a while back. Also the fact that Dynamics have been here before
Old 6 Apr 2023, 14:14 (Ref:4150626)   #2182
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
Correct. I raised this point a while back. Also the fact that Dynamics have been here before
yes dynamics also disappeared off the grid in 2001 and 2002 and most of 2003 and i dont remember the sky falling down then either
Old 6 Apr 2023, 15:09 (Ref:4150641)   #2183
Daverb
Rookie

Daverb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
I'm convinced you pop up with the same question each off-season, and then the same people reply with how much cheaper a TCR car is.

A TCR car is mass-produced, good to go. It's ideal for club-level touring car racing or a mid-tier championship (see the failure of WTCR with BoP disagreements and compensation weight tussles one element of its downfall, or how TCR Australia is a few rungs below Supercars). A season is chump change in comparison to BTCC. We know this. Everyone here.

A BTCC car is built by each team, using a selection of shared parts and some unique elements too (aero, induction, weight distribution etc) for a far greater cost than a purchased TCR. But, being built specifically for a championship, to its own ruleset, adds a level of prestige (and the cars are more exciting to watch, requiring a more aggressive set-up and driving style) to what is the UK's most-popular four-wheel series.

Also, £500k isn't the cost of running a BTCC car, that's the cost of a top drive, at a top team, inc. a profit margin for the squad and kickbacks to the driver as a wage/commision.

Finally, while the cost is significantly more, so is the exposure for sponsors and that's really what you invest in. So in total, we should be discussing total 'value' and not total 'cost'.
This just sounds like touring car snobbery!

Maybe there was a place for this a couple of years ago but now post Covid in the real world I've watched TCR and BTCC live at the track and both are exciting Tin Top racing which is what fans want to see. Infact if anything I would say TCR is more pure racing, driver and car. BTCC is gimmicky racing with its hybrid, are drivers using the hybrid or not sometimes I can see the light sometimes I can't depends on the angle, fake results, series fiddling with cars to alter results etc...
Old 6 Apr 2023, 15:10 (Ref:4150642)   #2184
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
yes dynamics also disappeared off the grid in 2001 and 2002 and most of 2003 and i dont remember the sky falling down then either
Very different world then though. No social media for a start, and only the hardcore fans remained. So moaning was less. As far as the championship went though, the sky had fallen down, and if Gow hadn't come back in 2003 how long would it have taken to recover the series?
Old 6 Apr 2023, 15:44 (Ref:4150644)   #2185
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverb View Post
fake results, series fiddling with cars to alter results etc...
i guess you think trump won the 2020 election too?
Old 6 Apr 2023, 15:56 (Ref:4150648)   #2186
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bring back Group A touring cars
Old 6 Apr 2023, 16:28 (Ref:4150654)   #2187
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverb View Post
BTCC is gimmicky racing with its hybrid, are drivers using the hybrid or not sometimes I can see the light sometimes I can't depends on the angle, fake results, series fiddling with cars to alter results etc...
I was with your critique until you lost the plot.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 17:01 (Ref:4150664)   #2188
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviePHD View Post
With 6 cars HARD will soon be able to run their own series!
Tony Gilham Trophy
Old 6 Apr 2023, 17:14 (Ref:4150669)   #2189
v8supes
Veteran

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Completely the opposite way around. £100k/year will see you at the front of TCR UK, getting on for £500k/year for the same in BTCC
Yeah but given the reliability of the TCR cars in TCR UK form, how many races will you get to complete?

Also crash damage in TCR is much harder to repair than NGTC. You also dont get the live ITV4 coverage, the crowds or the media coverage.

However. Even with that it is significantly cheaper.

TBH i wasnt a fan of the move to hybrid to begin with but i dont feel like its had much effect on the overall show. Its there but its not over powerful or banged on about 24/7, a pleasant surprise.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 17:42 (Ref:4150671)   #2190
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
i dont feel like its had much effect on the overall show. Its there but its not over powerful or banged on about 24/7, a pleasant surprise.
So what you are saying is that it adds nothing, which begs the question of why bother.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 18:15 (Ref:4150678)   #2191
techspeed
Rookie

techspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad that Dynamics won't be appearing this season. I feel like we have heard it before with HMS and Parker (and more I'm sure) where they suggest they plan to be back but in reality it is never feasible for the same reasons they have to withdraw in the first place. Motorbase kept their toe in the water, very deliberately I imagine.

It's telling that Gow referenced 888 in some comments used by Autosport, and I think it's been confirmed that Dynamics have sold their Civics; probably logical in the circumstances (they're only going to depreciate in value and they've never looked the class of the field) but means they have an even bigger task seeking funding for the build of an all new model.

Dynamics have a great pedigree but if they have had to let go the bulk of their team go, they don't really have that much of advantage in attracting investment, less so if they are not on the circuit this season and they will will need commitments from sponsors even sooner to get new cars built in time.

I do think there is a different reaction and feeling to what happened to 888. With 888 felt like a very gradual demise whereas, whilst Dynamics weren't able to match their first generation NGTC Civic with the FK8 and lost backing from Honda (due to other factors), they seemed like a professional independent outfit and remained in the same family, so it felt like they still had roots in their origins.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 18:49 (Ref:4150683)   #2192
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Thanks for the response Bob. Perhaps I need to ask the same question twice a year instead of just once?
Old 6 Apr 2023, 18:54 (Ref:4150684)   #2193
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the idea that the FK8 Civic was something of a dud from Dynamics isn't really backed up by the evidence. It's won 27% of the races it's been entered, finished 3rd in the championship in consecutive years, one of those occasions being a single lap away from being the championship winning car.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 08:28 (Ref:4150707)   #2194
techspeed
Rookie

techspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
I think the idea that the FK8 Civic was something of a dud from Dynamics isn't really backed up by the evidence. It's won 27% of the races it's been entered, finished 3rd in the championship in consecutive years, one of those occasions being a single lap away from being the championship winning car.
That's a good stat, I probably forgot that Josh Cook has been as good as any of the TD drivers in the FK8.

I don't think it's been a dud but Cammish was a lap a way from winning the title because Neal nerfed Turkington in the previous race. I don't think it's ever looked the class of the field like the 3 series or the Infiniti have in recent years or like the OG NGTC Civic in it's pomp but then again in spells it's probably been as good as any other FWD car since 2018.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 08:40 (Ref:4150708)   #2195
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
But it wasn't as good as the FK2.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 08:49 (Ref:4150710)   #2196
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspeed View Post
That's a good stat, I probably forgot that Josh Cook has been as good as any of the TD drivers in the FK8.

I don't think it's been a dud but Cammish was a lap a way from winning the title because Neal nerfed Turkington in the previous race. I don't think it's ever looked the class of the field like the 3 series or the Infiniti have in recent years or like the OG NGTC Civic in it's pomp but then again in spells it's probably been as good as any other FWD car since 2018.

I really don't think that the Infiniti really belongs in that group; yes, it was blindingly quick in the hands of Sutton, but otherwise, apart from possibly the one, or was it two, win/s by Moffett which was/were a bit of a freak after much coaching from Sutton, it really wasn't a front runner.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 08:54 (Ref:4150711)   #2197
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
But it wasn't as good as the FK2.
I'm not sure it is as simple as that.

The FK2 was good, in comparison to the rest of the field.
By the time the FK8 was introduced, the competition had become a lot stronger (IMO).
Old 7 Apr 2023, 08:56 (Ref:4150712)   #2198
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Who's told you all this LOL??

Last edited by peebee2; 7 Apr 2023 at 09:07.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 09:07 (Ref:4150713)   #2199
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So here we are for the series ahead. Really could have done a couple more teams, but it wasn't to be. I miss the days of 1 car teams competing
Old 7 Apr 2023, 09:51 (Ref:4150722)   #2200
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So here we are for the series ahead. Really could have done a couple more teams, but it wasn't to be. I miss the days of 1 car teams competing
Will be interested to see if One Motorsport announce 1 or 2 more drivers. Plato and Proctor perhaps?