Old 26 Dec 2011, 20:28 (Ref:3004346)   #26
skinheadgirl1962
Rookie

United Kingdom
portsmouth
skinheadgirl1962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry P View Post
I was a trainee last year and was surprised to get into the FOS, However did not get Revival. Having said that I understand Historic meeting at BH on FOS weekend is very good too.
Cheers for the suggestion Barry. Had a look & it looks good. Trouble is what to do, wait & see if we get FOS & risk loosing out on both or forget FOS this year & do Historic?
Old 27 Dec 2011, 16:17 (Ref:3004545)   #27
ALANGRUMPY
Racer

ALANGRUMPY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wondering as to how many marshals at the festival are actually graded for SPEED events?
Old 27 Dec 2011, 16:33 (Ref:3004551)   #28
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANGRUMPY View Post
Just wondering as to how many marshals at the festival are actually graded for SPEED events?
In the past it has been observers in charge of the posts we had one a few years back never done a speed event in his life and was asking who had the flags!!
Now there is a grading scheme for speed I think they should start using it!!
Old 27 Dec 2011, 19:35 (Ref:3004601)   #29
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But it's not a speed event really, is it? Is there a grade for 'tarting around in nice cars' events?
Old 27 Dec 2011, 20:06 (Ref:3004616)   #30
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinheadgirl1962 View Post
Cheers for the suggestion Barry. Had a look & it looks good. Trouble is what to do, wait & see if we get FOS & risk loosing out on both or forget FOS this year & do Historic?
If you are unsuccessful with the FOS, normally a quick phone call to the Chief Marshal could be made to show available for the historic
Old 27 Dec 2011, 21:53 (Ref:3004649)   #31
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
But it's not a speed event really, is it? Is there a grade for 'tarting around in nice cars' events?
Excellent, but how very true............

Bladders...........
Old 27 Dec 2011, 23:30 (Ref:3004674)   #32
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have enough SPEED training to know that it's actually a HILLCLIMB
Old 28 Dec 2011, 01:01 (Ref:3004688)   #33
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
I have enough SPEED training to know that it's actually a HILLCLIMB
But not enough, apparently, to know that hillclimbs count for a speed grade. That's why my badge earned through hillclimb marshalling says 'Speed'...
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:08 (Ref:3004755)   #34
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Yes, that was on my mind as well. Pretty much the only people who will be graded speed marshals are the ones who've been marshalling for a good few years, as all the new marshals like myself and Lee, you're not really going to start favouring hillclimbs over race circuits, the majority of people only seem to do around 10 a year if that and that's if they're local to the hillclimb.

I did 9 days last year going all over and I'm still nowhere near grading. Not only has the number of days gone up but trying to find an examining speed (I've never seen one) for a hillclimb which may have 15/20 marshals for 6/7/8+ posts meaning 1 or 2 marshals per post. If finding an examining and pass for circuit upgrade is fairly hard then just imagine what it's like for speed events!

Last edited by Stephen Green; 29 Dec 2011 at 15:26. Reason: Usual lack of punctuation
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:14 (Ref:3004758)   #35
NewYankee01
Veteran

That's another point, why is the Goodwood Revival listed as a speed event, (or at least put on the speed availability sheets) it's race marshalling isnt it?!

It may be the restrictions put on the circuit when it was reopened, if that's the case, doubt anyone knows!

Last edited by Stephen Green; 29 Dec 2011 at 15:27. Reason: same old same old
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:51 (Ref:3004771)   #36
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
not only has the number of days gone up but trying to find a examining speed (ive never seen one) for a hillclimb which may have 15/20 marshals for 6/7/8+ posts meaning 1 or 2 marshals per post. if finding an examining and pass for circuit upgrade is fairly hard then just imagine what its like for speed events!
As I have had many years on a speed events as a marshal, organising and as Chief Marshal, MSA instructor wanted me to be Examining Marshal (Speed) but I decided to stick with Post Chief - Sorry Guys.
And I don't do enough now to warrant getting an upgrade.
And after getting lumbered with an observer (not a Post chief speed) who was a complete prat in charge of the post at FoS a few years back does it matter??
Old 28 Dec 2011, 12:34 (Ref:3004794)   #37
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
that's another point, why is goodwood revival listed as a speed event, (or at least put on the speed availability sheets) its race marshalling isnt it?!
And equally, why do they ask for race marshals for the festival?

I guess it's just the case that a lot of race volunteer for the festival and a lot of speed volunteer for the revival, so they just put it on the forms for convenience.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 21:17 (Ref:3004928)   #38
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitmarshal View Post
As I have had many years on a speed events as a marshal, organising and as Chief Marshal, MSA instructor wanted me to be Examining Marshal (Speed) but I decided to stick with Post Chief - Sorry Guys.
And I don't do enough now to warrant getting an upgrade.
And after getting lumbered with an observer (not a Post chief speed) who was a complete prat in charge of the post at FoS a few years back does it matter??
er, we need more people like you!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 21:27 (Ref:3004931)   #39
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
And equally, why do they ask for race marshals for the festival?

I guess it's just the case that a lot of race volunteer for the festival and a lot of speed volunteer for the revival, so they just put it on the forms for convenience.
that seems to work out enough.

anyone who has doubts about not being able to volunteer for not being a speed marshal need not worry, itll never work. its just like rally marshalling, they just dont have the bodies... anyway with due respect, if we're the best in the world at circuit marshalling then hillclimbs are a lot easier and we've all got more than enough experience/skill to officiate european style at what any hillclimb/race can throw at us. or so he says!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 22:16 (Ref:3004946)   #40
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
anyone who has doubts about not being able to volunteer for not being a speed marshal need not worry, itll never work. its just like rally marshalling, they just dont have the bodies...
Yes, Goodwood is always short of volunteers . . . that's why the volunteering form warns about the selection process!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 22:22 (Ref:3004952)   #41
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
anyone who has doubts about not being able to volunteer for not being a speed marshal need not worry, itll never work. its just like rally marshalling, they just dont have the bodies... anyway with due respect, if we're the best in the world at circuit marshalling then hillclimbs are a lot easier and we've all got more than enough experience/skill to officiate european style at what any hillclimb/race can throw at us. or so he says!
I love your use of 'with respect' in there. With equal respect, it's clear you've no idea about a proper UK hillclimb.

Easy! Pah!

Even easier
Old 28 Dec 2011, 22:38 (Ref:3004958)   #42
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Yes, Goodwood is always short of volunteers . . . that's why the volunteering form warns about the selection process!
I knew it would be construed like that the way I wrote it. Here goes, I mean if you start asking for speed only marshals you wont need a selection process, you would probably end up being well short without the need for rejection letters! each f.o.s post has 5/6+ marshals on, how much would that be reduced by if they were graded speed marshals...

Last edited by Stephen Green; 29 Dec 2011 at 15:28. Reason: once again ,,,,,
Old 28 Dec 2011, 22:53 (Ref:3004961)   #43
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I love your use of 'with respect' in there. With equal respect, it's clear you've no idea about a proper UK hillclimb.

Easy! Pah!

Even easier
Are you calling Gurston, Prescott and Barbon not proper hillclimbs?!

haha, yes I know how bad hillclimbs are, they're not without their hazards. Thing is these videos are infrequent. Yes those crashes are bad, but thats the same problem corner so its obvious that is one of the worst corners in UK hillclimbing so you're not going to get any worse unless there's a freak accident or car with insufficient roof/no seatbelts in the event of a roll/flip.

Come back with loads more hillclimb crashes on you tube of worse magnitude and then maybe, its clear to see, like you know, as I was saying circuits have crashes that are far worse than hillclimbs more often than not, if you want a quiet day marshalling hillclimbs are the place to be!

If youre a capable graded race marshal then you're more than qualified to marshal a hillclimb, period

Last edited by Stephen Green; 29 Dec 2011 at 15:30. Reason: Punctuation. Some people never learn
Old 28 Dec 2011, 23:15 (Ref:3004969)   #44
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
It's just like if you ask for graded rally marshals for WRC you would never ever have the minimum number of marshals, even though rally marshal grade used to be easy to obtain so long as you have a beating heart. This is just the thing. I'd love to see what would happen if you had to be graded speed for real, if this is going to be kept up, bold statement to make but through the people I know and talk there are quite a lot who have done the f.o.s, they've never seen another hillclimb other than Goodwood... or if they have it hasn't been for years meaning they have no grading on speed whatsoever.

Last edited by Stephen Green; 29 Dec 2011 at 15:32. Reason: punctuation
Old 29 Dec 2011, 10:19 (Ref:3005085)   #45
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Quote:
its just like if you ask for graded rally marshals for wrc you would never ever have the minimum number of marshals, even though rally marshal grade used to be easy to obtain so long as you have a beating heart.
And an MSA registration card these days, what grade don't matter but you need the card for WRGB now!!
Which is why people like my brother have one only comes out once per year!!
Then I just been told, as long as you can put the number on the application form no one looks at the card!!
Old 29 Dec 2011, 16:58 (Ref:3005190)   #46
Lrawlings
Racer

England
Portsmouth England
Lrawlings should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prob be brands historic for us instead of goodwood. As for the hill climbs, have done gurston an really enjoyed it. Me an the wife, will be back there as much as possible this yr too. ;-) wife is registered Msa speed an race. I'm just speeeeeeeeeed lol