Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Sep 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2535476)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great drives that slipped under the radar

To get the ball rolling can i suggest Takuma Sato, Brazil 06, he finished 10th in the Aguri, only 1 lap down on Massa and ahead of seven other cars, add to that his fastest lap was within 6/10ths of Massa's fastest. I am hardly a fan of Taku but that was without doubt a blinding drive.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2535489)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
- Luca Badoer, Valencia 2009...I jest. Europe 99 was pretty good, though. Destroyed Gene that day (make note anyone who says Gene should've replaced Badoer)

- Ralf's drive at that race was deserving of the win. Robbed by a puncture. And this is from someone who doesn't rate Ralf at all. Most decent Ralf drives could come in here, actually

- Any time a Sauber podiumed - with any other midfield or backmarker team, it was interesting, but with a Sauber podium, it was always "oh, a Sauber on the podium...meh"

- Pedro Diniz qualifying 8th for the 1997 Belgian GP, ahead of Damon Hill. He then went on to finish 7th in the race (albeit after Mika H's exclusion)

- And in a combination of both of the above, Johnny Herbert's 1997 season in general was completely ignored. He was brilliant that year, really punching above his weight

- Trulli and Glock at Melbourne this year - 3rd and 4th from the back of the grid, but overshadowed by Lewis lying and Button winning. And of course the fact that Toyota are the most invisible team in the paddock. Ever

- And I have to pick a Mark drive, I'm sorry - Monaco 06. Faster than Alonso and Raikkonen with a rubbish car and heavier on fuel
Old 7 Sep 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2535739)   #3
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I once completed 2 full circles drifting around a roundabout in the rain without having to move the steering wheel more than a couple of degrees right and left from almost full opposite lock. No one was there to appreciate it, just some old folks in a Mercedes B series who apparently deemed it unsafe to enter the roundabout under the circumstances. Not only did they fail to recognize the skill required, they also gave me the most disapproving of head shakes every time I went by. Sad.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2535776)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
I once completed 2 full circles drifting around a roundabout in the rain without having to move the steering wheel more than a couple of degrees right and left from almost full opposite lock. No one was there to appreciate it, just some old folks in a Mercedes B series who apparently deemed it unsafe to enter the roundabout under the circumstances. Not only did they fail to recognize the skill required, they also gave me the most disapproving of head shakes every time I went by. Sad.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2535854)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I won't ask if he was driving a BMW.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 13:37 (Ref:2535893)   #6
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stefan Bellof. Monaco 1984. Yes, that Senna Day..., Senna was amazing, but if you see the complete race... What a drive from Stefan...
Old 7 Sep 2009, 13:39 (Ref:2535894)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DC at Bahrain in 2007. Gearbox problems sent him to the back of the grid in qually, he fought his way up though the field (via pure overtaking, not attrition of punting folk off) and got as high as seventh before the gearbox problems resurfaced and forced him to retire...

Worth a mention, I feel!
Old 7 Sep 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2535910)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Great topic.

How about Pedro de la Rosa earning a point for Arrows in his debut? Australia 1999, in a truly poor Arrows (Hart?). Extremely overlooked.

Selby
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2535914)   #9
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Stefan Bellof. Monaco 1984. Yes, that Senna Day..., Senna was amazing, but if you see the complete race... What a drive from Stefan...
Wasn't Arnoux catching all 3 of them, though?
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:07 (Ref:2535918)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Brundle at Brazil 1984. Underpowered yet he had it in fifth.

Larini at Canada 1989. Could have won...in an Osella...similarly Ghinzani at Monza 1984, fourth was for the taking but he lacked a teaspoonful of fuel.

Firman at Brazil 2003. People forget he was level with Fisichella when his suspension failed. Had they been in each other's chassis, Firman would be the Republic of Ireland's first GP winning driver.

And, given my username, I have to nominate Marc Surer at Brazil in 1981...
Old 7 Sep 2009, 15:00 (Ref:2535957)   #11
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I won't ask if he was driving a BMW.
How did you know?
Old 7 Sep 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2536031)   #12
AshMcD
Rookie

AshMcD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post

Firman at Brazil 2003. People forget he was level with Fisichella when his suspension failed. Had they been in each other's chassis, Firman would be the Republic of Ireland's first GP winning driver.
He didn't turn Irish until after that did he to get the A1 GP drive?

I'm not sure when he changed, but he definitely used to be English.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2536055)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMcD View Post
He didn't turn Irish until after that did he to get the A1 GP drive?

I'm not sure when he changed, but he definitely used to be English.
His father is English, but his mother is as Irish as they come, so presumably he can choose to be either.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2536064)   #14
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I've always thought of Firman as Irish, unlike Adam Carroll and Eddie Irvine who are Northern Irish
Old 7 Sep 2009, 18:01 (Ref:2536089)   #15
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brundle getting third at Spa in 1995. Everyone remembers the Schumacher/Hill battle but Brundle had a good run that day amidst the chaos. Only his tyres going off allowed Hill to take second place and even that wasn't until the final lap.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2536189)   #16
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I've always thought of Firman as Irish, unlike Adam Carroll and Eddie Irvine who are Northern Irish
Or British.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2536191)   #17
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan Pablo Montoya. Interlagos. 2004. Blinding.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2536196)   #18
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
His father is English, but his mother is as Irish as they come, so presumably he can choose to be either.
Essentially, that is the case. From memory, Ralph Firman Jnr started racing under the Irish flag in '03. I suspect that was partly because of his racing for the Jordan team. After F1, he did test for the British A1GP team before the opportunity of racing for Ireland arose.

I think Adam Carroll was offered a British A1GP test at some point before racing for Ireland - although in the case of A1GP drivers from Northern Ireland are eligible to race for both teams.

Within the context of this thread, Mika Salo's drive at Monaco in '97 springs to mind.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2536200)   #19
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk View Post
Or British.
Yeah, that's what I meant. My bad
Old 7 Sep 2009, 22:01 (Ref:2536242)   #20
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
wow brings back some memories why dont ya's LOL

another Webber drive.

Melbourne 2001 , his first GP , what a special day , underpowered Minardi , traction control broken , car nowhere near the best , McNish in the Toyota bearing down on him but he hung in there for a great 5th place on debut

Obviously Jean Alesi , USA 1990 , superb effort.

The next one I cant quite remember the year I think 1988 Ivan Capelli going head to head with Alain Prost in France (hang on it was 1990 because Prost was in a ferrari) he almost did it

Michael Schumacher in Spain in 1996 , made that ferrari sing and dance

Damon Hill , Hungary 1997 in the arrows....almost Damon Almost.

so many to choose from LOL

many memories indeed.

I guess Fisichella at the last roundas well was very impressive , in fact probably the best I have ever seen him drive
Old 8 Sep 2009, 00:56 (Ref:2536319)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
How did you know?
The 'head-shaking' was probably because you weren't signalling.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 03:05 (Ref:2536338)   #22
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Mika H, Monza 1996. A great run.

One that didn't slip under the radar as such, but one I think a lot of people didn't/don't quite appreciate how brilliant it was: Michael Schumacher, Catalunya 1994.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 03:06 (Ref:2536339)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another possible Martin Brundle one- Detroit 1984.

Quote:
Damon Hill , Hungary 1997 in the arrows....almost Damon Almost.
An excellent drive by all accounts Marcus, in an unfancied car, but I think it was on everyone's radar.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 07:31 (Ref:2536394)   #24
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
- Nicola Larini getting 2nd place at Imola 1994. Everyone remembers the race for different reasons understandably.

- Karl Wendlinger's fourth place at Canadian GP 1992
Old 8 Sep 2009, 07:36 (Ref:2536397)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
Mika H, Monza 1996. A great run.

One that didn't slip under the radar as such, but one I think a lot of people didn't/don't quite appreciate how brilliant it was: Michael Schumacher, Catalunya 1994.
Which was the one in Catalunya that he mostly did driving with only one gear (5th gear I think),and still finished in the points? Was that 94 or 95?