Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Apr 2002, 13:47 (Ref:265642)   #1
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some F1 facts you may not know .....

Here's something different. Some F1 facts that you may not be aware of. Enjoy .....

* Each of Jackie Stewart's three World Championship's lasted exactly 392 days !!

* Monaco 1973 is the only race in F1 history where the Top 6 finishers were placed in exactly the same order as the eventual championship standings

* In the 1981 British GP, the Top 14 finishers were all different makes of car

* Former Brabham & Tyrrell driver Stefano Modena was ironically also born in Modena !!

* The 1959 British GP featured four drivers with the surname Taylor. Strangely, none of them were related and they were all making there debut at the race

* The first F1 race where all the starters were powered by turbo engines was also the 400th championship race

* The 1961 Dutch GP had no retirements, no pitstops and was held on a monday

* Aguri Suzuki is the only driver to ever non-prequalify for every Grand Prix in a season (For Zakspeed in 1989)

* Stirling Moss is the only driver to race two different makes of car in a Grand Prix (Britain, 1961)

* Lella Lombardi is the only women ever to score World Championship points in an F1 race (6th place, 1975 Spanish GP)

Am I an anorak or what !!

Last edited by Mark F1; 20 Apr 2002 at 13:51.
Old 20 Apr 2002, 14:06 (Ref:265661)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
well done
Old 20 Apr 2002, 14:16 (Ref:265664)   #3
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Some F1 facts you may not know .....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark F1

* Lella Lombardi is the only women ever to score World Championship points in an F1 race (6th place, 1975 Spanish GP) "

I believe she scored .5 of a point because the race was stopped short. I also believe she is the only driver to have that half point as a career total.
Old 20 Apr 2002, 14:25 (Ref:265672)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
The doc is right
Old 20 Apr 2002, 14:35 (Ref:265680)   #5
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is she the only woman who ever drove or there are others as well?
Old 20 Apr 2002, 14:57 (Ref:265691)   #6
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was also Desire wilson. And there was one other whose name, ashamedly, escapes me. She ran in the Panoz women's GT series. Ahhh! Yes, it was Divina Galica (I am soooo sorry if that is spelled wrong), but I am unsure if she qualified.
Old 20 Apr 2002, 14:58 (Ref:265693)   #7
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have been 5 women who have attempted to qualify for an F1 race. The ones that raced were Lella Lombardi and Maria Teresa de Fillipis. Divina Galcia, Desire Wilson and Giovannia Amati never actually started a race despite many attempts to qualify.
Old 20 Apr 2002, 15:03 (Ref:265694)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
is she the only woman who ever drove or there are others as well?
no.........giovanna amati attempted to qualify in a brabham in 1992..........she failed!

former british downhill skier davina galica attempted to qualify 3 times in the 70's..........she also failed!

south african desire wilson became the first woman to win an f1 race......a round of the british national series at brands in 1980. the following season she qualified and finished 6th in her home gp at kyalami.but the race was striped of championship status and her point struck from the record books!..............hows that for bad luck!
Old 20 Apr 2002, 15:16 (Ref:265700)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
amazing!!!..thanks guys
Old 22 Apr 2002, 19:36 (Ref:267736)   #10
R_L
Rookie

R_L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another interesting fact...

Jim Clark only once finished 2nd in a Grand Prix!
Old 22 Apr 2002, 20:07 (Ref:267798)   #11
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's another peice of useless info. At the 1999 Australian GP, all of the points scorers had (to that time) been contracted to Jordan at one point. They were: Irvine, Frentzen, Ralf Schumacher, Barrichello, Fisichella, and de la Rosa.

In Melbourne 1996 Damon Hill said at a press conference: "Who was the last guy to win 2 consequtive races in the same country?" (as he had won the final race of 1995, at Adelaide). He'd forgotten that TGF had won the previous 2 races, both in Japan.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 02:23 (Ref:268025)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah well Damon was a moron.

It is funny though that out of the thousands of awarded F1 points, only 0.5 out of them all was won by a woman.I remember that Murray Walker once said that he doesn't believe a woman could ever do anything in F1, due to a lack of upper body strength, and I suspect that maybe he is right (but if someone as cute as Sarah Fisher does well I'd be happy!). I'd like to see a black driver succeed in F1 though, for the sheer ideal of drivers from all backgrounds getting success in the world's leading motor racing series. George Mack in IRL looks promising for a start.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 02:54 (Ref:268032)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL will never, ever be a path to F1. With black drivers... Well, Willy T. Ribbs had a lot of success in sports and touring cars, but could never cut it in open-wheelers, as happens to so many drivers. Black Americans aren't encouraged into racing as a rule, and by and large are completely incapable of attaining the funding. I'd assume things are similar in South Africa, though I'd think there would be some interest and accessability of rallying there. Europe is already way overcrowded with aspiring drivers for tiny minorities to show through.

With women? Watch out for American Danica Patrick. If she can get some solid funding behind her, she'll get that Toyota Atlantics ride she needs, and then hit CART... I think she has the talent to make it to F1. At the Long Beach Pro-Celeb race, she flogged a bone-stock Celica through the concrete canyon, running away from infinitely more experienced sports and touring car driver Tommy Kendall, who is _no_ pushover.

Women have taken championships in sports car prototypes, all levels of touring cars, junior formulas... It's only a matter of time before one becomes a legitimate midpack F1 contender.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 06:19 (Ref:269093)   #14
TickTag2
Rookie

TickTag2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AYoong is the first malaysian driver failed to qualify what ashamed

Malaysian Boleh is the first country that sponsor two F1 Team Sauber & Minardi

What a waste of a tax payers money

Old 24 Apr 2002, 08:36 (Ref:269147)   #15
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia