Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 24 Mar 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1559535)   #351
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Oh sorry, I have just been a fat git!
Old 25 Mar 2006, 00:20 (Ref:1560006)   #352
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say naaaaathing.

Now, I can add. Oil system problem is FIXED! 6 laps of Silverstone International today - and not a drop was spilled.
However, new problem.

6 laps of Silverstone International = circa 6 Gallons of Gas-o-line.

Running a little rich there, eh Falcemob?

Scared a few people today (but not me!! I knew what I was doing. he he he he he!)
I understand the comment from the Eurotech guys was (unprintable on here) along the lines of "Oh look, what may that be?" (change phrase, add expletives)

And I haven't even got the brakes/suspension/underpants setup yet.

I love this car.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1560146)   #353
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thats great news Rob I really can't wait to be out there with you on the 15th especially as it sounds like you won't be laying down an oil slick in front of me now! Incidently I am getting about 5 mpg at racing speeds on my cars, do you want me to bring a spare 650 double pumper or an oil tanker to the track:-)
Old 25 Mar 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1560318)   #354
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No don't bother Al.
We'll put a refuelling rig somewhere half way up the track.

Fuel for the car, Hoegaarden for the driver.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1560322)   #355
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Bit of Belguim lager after the race sounds spot on Eddy:-).
Old 25 Mar 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1560428)   #356
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did someone mention hoogie......??

In an effort to tame the performance of the car by 10-15%, I'm fitting a tow-bar, and will pull a 1000L fuel bowser, with a "mechanic" sitting on the drawbar working a hand pump to keep the car's tank topped up.

Seriously, it's looking like she's a bit rich. So it's time I got my dyno set up..... deep joy - loads more work.

Rob.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 18:05 (Ref:1560438)   #357
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Bloody hell what a line up, be like the M25 in the rush hour for the first lap or so.

With that many cars I'll just be crossing the start line as Rod enters Clearways.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1560446)   #358
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera
With that many cars I'll just be crossing the start line as Rod enters Clearways.
Nice one Carrera! I must admit I have been pondering the prospect of 42 cars from a rolling start on cold rubber going into Paddock myself

What carb do you have Rob and what size, is it a Holley because I had a few problems with those running over rich, it is usually either the fuel inlet valve holding open or knackered or the fuel level being off, also I have found that fuel pressure is important and running mine at between 5 and 6 psi seems to do the trick. The good thing is thay more or less run right with the factory settings I have found as the jet sizes are matched to the cfm of the carb.

Someone was telling me that a guy was being interviewed on Talk Sport Radio and talking up the Brands round, from his description it sounded like Julius Thurgood talking up the Sebring race, did anyone else here this?

Last edited by Al Weyman; 25 Mar 2006 at 18:35. Reason: Don't know me corners!
Old 25 Mar 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1560456)   #359
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bit of Belguim lager after the race sounds spot on Eddy:-).
Your wish is my command, Sir.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1560463)   #360
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nice one Carrera! I must admit I have been pondering the prospect of 42 cars from a rolling start on cold rubber going into Paddock myself

?
Went to the last round of the VLN series at the ring last year - they had over 160 starters - seems like we're only amatuers at 42 ! Never having done the GP circuit before, how many laps before the quick boys start lapping us ? just in case those nice men with the blue flags are too buy wathing the racing ?
Old 25 Mar 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1560484)   #361
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
You are in for a treat then Alain as it is one of my favourites. Clearways instead of being a horrible double Apex bend becomes a nice fast right hander at the end of the straight. The Chicane (Dingle Dell?) will put a grin on yer face for sure. Never having raced with you guys and not knowing the speed differntials I would not like to hazzard a guess when we will be caught up if in fact we will because it is a big track and we are only doing 6 and 8 laps. Personally I think I will make up a enough time down the straight bits not to be lapped but we will see.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1560546)   #362
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Al, Dingle Dell ain't there anymore. It got Nicola-ised, and is now Sheene Curve, and doesn't have the character (or thrill) of Dingle Dell in my opinion.

As for lapping people/being lapped, I'll try to keep out of the way.

Al, the carb is a Quickfuels 850cfm circle track (wedge shaped floats to avoid surge in turns). I run 5.5 to 6 PSI from a Carter Superspeedway pump (also have an electric in the circuit just in case).

Rob.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1560571)   #363
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Al, Dingle Dell ain't there anymore. It got Nicola-ised, and is now Sheene Curve, and doesn't have the character (or thrill) of Dingle Dell in my opinion.
Oh no you gotta be joking, thats it I'm pulling my entry (only joking honest). Big shame though all the same.

With that Power/Weight Ratio I will look out for you in my rear view mirror :-). I have a feelingthis race is gonna be more enjoyable to watch than participate.

Don't know that carb probably a bit more sophisticated than the one I am using is an 850 Holley Double Pumper which was the original piece and manifold that was fitted to the Penske IROC that by a strange fluke I bought years before I bought the car. It had 80's main jets but was a bit rich so I now run it with 78's had a bit of trouble with it before but I rebuilt it and it went like a train at Brands when I swapped it as the 800 spread bore I was trying in the first session was not delivering.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1561216)   #364
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
The thing with the Quickfuels carb is it's response - it's very crisp, lots of the circle track guys (dirt racers, and those on tarmac short ovals) are using them because of that. According to my builder, there are fewer people using holleys these days because of the hybrids that work better.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1561321)   #365
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well you are ions better to be rich than lean so suck it and see as I doubt you damage much more than your wallet:-)
Old 26 Mar 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1561404)   #366
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
I suppose if I leave it as it is, the MD of Shell will be able to afford a new pair of trousers (and Gordon Brown could buy three or four new designer suits!)

Rob.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 17:24 (Ref:1561430)   #367
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I don't think with your spec engine you will do much better than 3 to 4mpg so that is more or less one lap of Silversone GP is'nt it? The joys of running a big banger get yer foot off the loud pedal more if it is hurting too much :-)
Old 26 Mar 2006, 17:36 (Ref:1561437)   #368
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
6 gallons isn't too bad, I used about the same for 20 minutes at Brands last week
Old 26 Mar 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1561483)   #369
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
Rob.
For an in-car lap of the current layout try http://switchboard.real.com/player/e...Dgplap%2D1.mpg
Thats how i'm trying to learn it !
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:03 (Ref:1561548)   #370
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
That still shows Dingle Dell - it's therefore old footage.

Rob.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1561560)   #371
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Rob I was thinking exactly the same thing and was wondering if I had got my facts and bends mixed up as that was pretty much as I remembered it.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1561572)   #372
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Yes, how it should be!

It's the progress of man! (so they say)
Old 27 Mar 2006, 15:46 (Ref:1562420)   #373
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
That still shows Dingle Dell - it's therefore old footage.

Rob.
Bugger - That's me lost on the 15th then - Anyone got a Sat Nav ?
(or an up to date in car clip ?)
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1562446)   #374
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Actually just looked on the circuit map and I think that new layout will go in my favour, fat boy sitting in left hooker likes left handed bends best and that looks just what the doctor ordered :-)
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1562451)   #375
GreenSaxo
Racer

England
Ashford, Kent
GreenSaxo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
overhead shot of brands

if you zoom in on the above pic.. you can sorta see the new corner layout... and the racing "rubber" line