Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 31 Jan 2007, 00:45 (Ref:1829826)   #1
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO's fuel capacity rules

I just went back over an older thread about the ACO reg changes for 2007, looking to see if any discussion had been made of the reduced fuel tank size for diesels. It hadn't, before the thread deteriorated into a lot of finger-pointing on grammar usage.

Anyway, given that diesels will only be allowed an 81-liter tank this year, what impact will that have? Looking at last year, the winning Audi made 27 stops, which makes for about 2700 litres of fuel. That same amount of fuel will require 33 stops with the smaller tank. How long would an additional 6 stops take? 40 seconds for the stop, plus 40 in/out time (just guessing here)? If so, that's an extra 8 minutes, or 2.3 laps, which would turn the winning margin was 4 laps into 1.7. That's pretty damn close, and augers well for a close fight this year.

Feel free to tear my numbers to shreds, by the way..
Old 31 Jan 2007, 01:07 (Ref:1829831)   #2
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, no more complaining about tank sizes unless someone wants to complain that a diesel is a more fuel efficient engine. I think that the diesels might do the same amount of laps/at most one more per tank. But they would have some left in the tank if they do the same amount of laps. Also the diesels should be lighter as they run as they have less fuel on board.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 04:11 (Ref:1829863)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltbag
I just went back over an older thread about the ACO reg changes for 2007, looking to see if any discussion had been made of the reduced fuel tank size for diesels. It hadn't, before the thread deteriorated into a lot of finger-pointing on grammar usage.

Anyway, given that diesels will only be allowed an 81-liter tank this year, what impact will that have? Looking at last year, the winning Audi made 27 stops, which makes for about 2700 litres of fuel. That same amount of fuel will require 33 stops with the smaller tank. How long would an additional 6 stops take? 40 seconds for the stop, plus 40 in/out time (just guessing here)? If so, that's an extra 8 minutes, or 2.3 laps, which would turn the winning margin was 4 laps into 1.7. That's pretty damn close, and augers well for a close fight this year.

Feel free to tear my numbers to shreds, by the way..
All valid conclusions, if one assumes that the tanks were empty when they came in the pits.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 09:21 (Ref:1830000)   #4
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds good to me. I like your thinking. It will certainly be interesting to see how they cope. Turn the power down a bit and gain a bit more economy would seem the obvious solution, and they probably have the capacity to do that.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 10:58 (Ref:1830077)   #5
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Remember that engine design is a performance/fuel economy tradeoff. Maybe this year Audi will focus a bit more on fuel economy and give up some power (everybody knows they have a power advantage). Bruno Famin, Technical Director of the Peugeot 908 project, literally said so.
Quote:
Have the changes to the ACO regulations made you late?

No, not really, but it now means that we have to look at the performance /fuel consumption to be more in favour of fuel consumption.
source: http://www.speedarena.com/news/publi...cle_7282.shtml

So diesels could still do more laps with the same tank as petrol car.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1830198)   #6
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Remember that engine design is a performance/fuel economy tradeoff. Maybe this year Audi will focus a bit more on fuel economy and give up some power (everybody knows they have a power advantage). Bruno Famin, Technical Director of the Peugeot 908 project, literally said so.
source: http://www.speedarena.com/news/publi...cle_7282.shtml

So diesels could still do more laps with the same tank as petrol car.
I think Audi and Peugeot will do what ever it takes to win. If that means forget economy for more power, so be it.

However, I am sure if the fuel econmy was great but they did not win, that companies spin doctors would make the fuel economy issue more important in the eye of the consumer.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 15:07 (Ref:1830269)   #7
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Providing the Pug proves competitive it will only be Le Mans this year that we can truly be sure we have seen the full potential of the R10.

Perhaps this is why they have chosen not to enter LMS so the true diesel potential is not seen before.

Assuming this happens and the diesel proves to have a significant advantage after slogging it out at Le Mans this year they hopefully will peg them back as seems to be widely expected for 2008 thus allowing Porsche and Acura to join the party in LMP1.

This of course could be why these two are in LMP2 so that the ACO uses what may be slower gasoline cars as their benchmark and not the speed of a full works effort.

This again could explain why Audi have decided to enter an LMP1 gasoline car - to raise the bar for the gasoline cars so that this is taken into account when the 2008 formula is worked out.

A lot of speculation I know but an interesting train of thought!
Old 1 Feb 2007, 01:08 (Ref:1830726)   #8
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, we will see what a gasoline P1 can do with the same engine that the R8 had, I think it will do pretty well.

Porsche and Acura can sure make some fast P2s...
Old 2 Feb 2007, 10:24 (Ref:1831696)   #9
bonedome
Rookie

England
bonedome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If both R10's or for that matter both Pug's, were on the front row of the grid in June, would one car be set up for out and out power heading off into the distance and building up a strong early lead. And the second car more aligned toward an economy setting. Just so the team covers all the bases?
Idle curiosity on my part.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 10:39 (Ref:1831709)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedome
If both R10's or for that matter both Pug's, were on the front row of the grid in June, would one car be set up for out and out power heading off into the distance and building up a strong early lead. And the second car more aligned toward an economy setting. Just so the team covers all the bases?
Idle curiosity on my part.
You are likely to see three or four Audi's at LM this year. At this point, we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves, as the Pug's haven't turned a wheel competitively, and we don't know how quick they will be. Audi will certainly be able to run some calculations on what pace they will need to run, what the economy will be, and what is the theoretical best pace. If they need to split their strategies, they'll have enough cars to do so.