Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Jun 2007, 00:33 (Ref:1942161)   #1076
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this is the appropriate place to ask this. Forgive me if it's been raised here before, but I don't particularly fancy sifting through 72 pages of posts at this time of night!

My query is with the adopted ALMS system of lights displaying who's in the first three in each class. Was it working in a different way for qualifying? Sometimes a couple of cars in the same class would go by at the same time, both with all 3 lights on. Did the system fail at some point or was it doing something different for qualifying? In the race it seemed to be ok.

It was annoying that some cars only had these lights on one side instead of both - made life very difficult for those of us who were looking out for the lights trackside.

If this has already been answered, I apologise, and could someone point me towards the appropriate posts?
Old 20 Jun 2007, 01:51 (Ref:1942188)   #1077
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From what I've heard, the system was physically completely different (not in a "better" way, either) from the ALMS system.

I saw the lights start working, stop working, shut down, start up, and then for the last couple of hours both the Corvette and the Aston were in the lead... It would have been much better if it had've worked as I'm used to.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Jun 2007, 01:56 (Ref:1942190)   #1078
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently the system would record the car's time at the finish line, but not update the lights until they were at Tertre Rouge.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 04:23 (Ref:1942229)   #1079
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I may sound like I didn't have a good time at LM but that was completely not true. It was my first attendance and I did have a great time and overall the race was quality! Looking forward to watching the highlights now.
I had planned (well started to plan!) a trip over there but didn't get leave from work - perhaps next year! Can't say I missed sitting/camping in the rain etc though, especially not being able to take my usual setup
Old 20 Jun 2007, 05:58 (Ref:1942255)   #1080
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
*yawn*

Can we move on, Henk?
nobody is stopping you...
Old 20 Jun 2007, 06:32 (Ref:1942263)   #1081
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
There hasn't been a WM at LM for a while, my friend. Go back to your books.
There was a WM at Le Mans last year and a new car will be launched in September.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 06:33 (Ref:1942264)   #1082
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
From what I've heard, the system was physically completely different (not in a "better" way, either) from the ALMS system.

I saw the lights start working, stop working, shut down, start up, and then for the last couple of hours both the Corvette and the Aston were in the lead... It would have been much better if it had've worked as I'm used to.
I think one of the lights on the Corvette was busted. When it was in third only the top and bottom lights worked.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 06:40 (Ref:1942266)   #1083
AMICALEMANS
Racer

France
AMICALEMANS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but WM (Welter Meunier ) died in 1990, and it became WR (Welter Racing)...
Old 20 Jun 2007, 06:43 (Ref:1942268)   #1084
AMICALEMANS
Racer

France
AMICALEMANS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
I think one of the lights on the Corvette was busted. When it was in third only the top and bottom lights worked.

The light system was ok only fore the race. They were testing it during pratice as the french speaker told several times !
Old 20 Jun 2007, 07:05 (Ref:1942278)   #1085
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
Surely, if there were no Peugeot, no Pescarolo, no Courage, no Larbre, no ORECA, no Epsilon, no Alphand, no Pierre Bruneau...There would be probably no chauvinistic French at all !
Oups ! I forgot IMSA Performance ! Sorry for this Raymond.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 23:37 (Ref:1943797)   #1086
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Ok dj choc ice ..... the Barazi Zytek looks much nicer in the flesh !!!

I actually like it now .
Old 22 Jun 2007, 07:34 (Ref:1943956)   #1087
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
then live with it and leave the conspiracy theories on your island
I have not mentioned conspiracy theories - I am generally quite happy with the way it is run which is why I have been going since 1983.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 09:45 (Ref:1944060)   #1088
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMICALEMANS
The light system was ok only fore the race. They were testing it during pratice as the french speaker told several times !
Yeah I saw that. I couldn't work out what it meant when the lights were flashing though?
Old 22 Jun 2007, 09:57 (Ref:1944072)   #1089
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is Binnie French?
No, but be aware Chris did two laps to finish after they solved their electrical problems.....they were not waiting around the corner rather solving issues
Old 22 Jun 2007, 15:11 (Ref:1944330)   #1090
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Ok dj choc ice ..... the Barazi Zytek looks much nicer in the flesh !!!

I actually like it now .
succes at last, knew you would come round to my way of thinking in the end
Old 22 Jun 2007, 15:23 (Ref:1944336)   #1091
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie
Whats the difference between the Track Marshalls moving the stricken, but not dead, Corvette and then later the Track Marshalls helping two LMP2 cars(Noel del Bellow and Zytek/Lowes) out of gravel traps.

I don't see the difference, but apparantly there is some discretion allowed?
Dave..
Marshals can move a car to a place of safety. If the driver is capable of restarting the car then he (or she) can drive off.
As one of those that put a Corvette (Gavin's 64) into a place of safety, I can assure everybody that he could not restart the engine. Therefore he could not rejoin the track. He could move the car by turning over the starter motor (but that's not allowed). Therein lies the confusion, not everybody knows the rules..
Old 22 Jun 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1944427)   #1092
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
succes at last, knew you would come round to my way of thinking in the end

And , remember me saying that I liked the Creation art theame .....well , after seeing it in the flesh , i dont !!!
Old 22 Jun 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1944579)   #1093
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
And , remember me saying that I liked the Creation art theame .....well , after seeing it in the flesh , i dont !!!
Well done Mr. B!!!
Old 22 Jun 2007, 21:03 (Ref:1944587)   #1094
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
No, but be aware Chris did two laps to finish after they solved their electrical problems.....they were not waiting around the corner rather solving issues
Bourdais was waiting to get his oil pressure back...
Old 22 Jun 2007, 21:06 (Ref:1944588)   #1095
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I have not mentioned conspiracy theories - I am generally quite happy with the way it is run which is why I have been going since 1983.
no my comment was not addressed at you personally, but to the person who implied that because Peugeot is French, Martin lost his podium spot...

Anyway, the rules of the ACO have one overriding rule, and that is that they can change them at any time at their discretion....
Old 22 Jun 2007, 21:20 (Ref:1944598)   #1096
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
Quote:
Bourdais was waiting to get his oil pressure back...
that car was dying and limping to the finish, the Binnie car was back running again
Old 22 Jun 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1944604)   #1097
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
that car was dying and limping to the finish, the Binnie car was back running again
Well as bourdais said, it was designed for 24 hours, and not for 24 hours and ten minutes...
Old 24 Jun 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1945710)   #1098
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GT1 pace

Have you noticed that some GT1 has run laps under 3'50" during the race while they they ran over 3'50" during the practices ?
Maybe it means that they don't want to be penalized again for next year with extra weight or smaller restrictors. I don't like to see the potential of these splendid cars limited year after year by the rules.
Am I right ? Your opinion ?