Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Jan 2007, 13:56 (Ref:1828588)   #26
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry about the hiccup at dsc - I was at Brands Hatch this morning, delving into something else.. which is for later this week.
It's a real pleasure to read how enthused you are by this story. Jean-Denis Deletraz has been winding me up over this since last October - I knew it was significant, but whatever guesses I threw at him, he said "Non". But who would have guessed this? Oddly, someone did suggest that the Audi engine might be available, but I didn't make the connection.
Exciting times in prototype racing.
MC
Old 29 Jan 2007, 14:18 (Ref:1828599)   #27
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes I can see DSC having a good year for new subs. I wonder if anyone will start a dedicated sportscar mag
Old 29 Jan 2007, 14:24 (Ref:1828604)   #28
vollpower
Rookie

Ireland
Waterford
vollpower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about 2 for Champion
Old 29 Jan 2007, 14:34 (Ref:1828611)   #29
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollpower
How about 2 for Champion
Why?

Is there something wrong with their R10's?
Old 29 Jan 2007, 14:51 (Ref:1828627)   #30
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I note with interest the statement that the new car will recieve factory support and I am sure this will also be to provide feedback as to the speed of the 908. If by comparing the Swiss Spirits cars data against the 908 and then in turn testing the car against the R10 it could provide the Audi engineers with some useful feedback as to how fast the Pug is without having to line up against it and therefore Peugeot will not have the benefit of that information flow back to them about the R10.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 14:53 (Ref:1828631)   #31
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi engines in a non VAG Chassis? (even though the actual R8 chassis was made by Dallara) Interesting! The Lola is the best customer chassis out there at the moment, possibly better than some of the factory teams too, it will be interesting to see how well it goes. Assuming Swiss Spirit do get a entry for Le Mans I wonder if they will be allowed to challenge Audi if they have the pace to do so?
Old 29 Jan 2007, 15:02 (Ref:1828639)   #32
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I note with interest the statement that the new car will recieve factory support and I am sure this will also be to provide feedback as to the speed of the 908. If by comparing the Swiss Spirits cars data against the 908 and then in turn testing the car against the R10 it could provide the Audi engineers with some useful feedback as to how fast the Pug is without having to line up against it and therefore Peugeot will not have the benefit of that information flow back to them about the R10.
Particularly useful when evaluating the formula requirement for; just how much can we still sandbag?
Old 29 Jan 2007, 15:13 (Ref:1828650)   #33
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Audi may be anything but they are definitely not dumb!

If they beat the Pug they prove that the diesel has no automatic adavantage over the petrol cars and show also how well built their R10 is.
If they lose they'll have always the excuse of the program being just a privateer effort with a customer chassis. Plus: They plan this for a duration three years, so it would be no shame not to be competitive in the first year with the late start!

So there's really not much to lose for them, but I'm sure they would be more than delighted to kick Peugeots butt with this one. As Audi Sport NA is a joint operation of Joest and Champion, there might be some Joest guys available for the Swiss Spirit effort, as well.

Possible downside: No privateer R10 for the next three years in LMS?!!
Old 29 Jan 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1828672)   #34
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Interesting also to read the comment that Peugeot are throwing big money into the TV promotion of the series - I wonder what this means and if it is significant it will negate all Audi supposed arguments as to why they are not competing.

I would hate to think Audi is deliberately avoiding competition
Old 29 Jan 2007, 15:43 (Ref:1828678)   #35
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Audi engines in a non VAG Chassis? (even though the actual R8 chassis was made by Dallara) Interesting! The Lola is the best customer
chassis out there at the moment
I think the Audi R8 chassis was made by ATR - a regular collaborator with Dallara. The R8R was Dallara though (I think).

Lola the best chassis? based on what? Courage and Pesca both look good too and a lot depands on the drivers, teams, tyres, engines fitted - so to say one chassis is better than the other is a bit of the stretch. Though it is certain that the Lola is a very good chassis - the best? I'm not sure how you would quantify that.

Well if the Audi engine went in the Lola its funny to think where R8 chassis may have ended up, especially as you were shocked about a VAG engine in a non VAG chassis - how about a non VAG engine in a VAG chassis:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/news.html
Old 29 Jan 2007, 16:06 (Ref:1828709)   #36
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Possible downside: No privateer R10 for the next three years in LMS?!!
Why would you think this?
Old 29 Jan 2007, 16:07 (Ref:1828710)   #37
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news. I'm keen to see just how good the Lola chassis is now.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1828757)   #38
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Audi want to prove the gasoline and diesel regs are equal .........from the power figures released so far I just cant help but think Audi are going to get their fingers burnt, and only prove the complete opposite.........

Peugeot puplically admitted they were gunning for 700bhp, and are implying they have achieved it.......and Henri Pescarolo wrote an open letter to the ACO implying the Audi R10 also had around 700bhp - all based on acelleration figures from the leMans 2006 race.........the last spec of R8 engine to run had in the region of 600 to 630bhp.....someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the R8 power figure

on this basis I just cant see how they are going to prove the two sets of regs are equal.........sorry but I just cant see the R8-Lola package being competitive up against the diesels........all I can see happening is the diesels having their wings well and truly "clipped" to bring them in-line with the gasoline power figures.

please dont get me wrong - great news for sports car racing and I wish them all the best of luck.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1828763)   #39
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
the last spec of R8 engine to run had in the region of 600 to 630bhp
But you have to go back to 2002 restrictors, so 650 + I think. Tough to say for sure though, only Audi know the answer.

And it's a bit much to make a comparison between a one-car privateer team and a two car factory diesel team. But it will still be interesting. Personally, I would have preferred to see them use a better chassis.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 17:43 (Ref:1828769)   #40
Randy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Henley on Thames
Randy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is an exciting proposition but I can't help thinking the car will just be used as a political pawn in which case we will never get a real picture of its capabilities. I hope that isn't the case as the package should be strong. Its interesting to see what the Acura teams are doing with the Lola chassis, clearly finding speed out of it in sebring.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1828773)   #41
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
This is an exciting proposition but I can't help thinking the car will just be used as a political pawn in which case we will never get a real picture of its capabilities. I hope that isn't the case as the package should be strong.
Not sure I follow you, can you expand on that please?
Old 29 Jan 2007, 17:54 (Ref:1828778)   #42
Randy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Henley on Thames
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Not sure I follow you, can you expand on that please?
Well Audi wouldn't be supplying a customer engine out of the kindness of their heart and I don't think they need the cash! Clearly they are doing this to get some angle on the petrol/diesel equivalency argument.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 17:56 (Ref:1828781)   #43
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
The only way Audi can benefit is if the Lola-Audi package shows competitive pace with the Peugeot 908. So I would counter that we will see the out and out pace of this package. If the Lola-Audi package is much slower, then it would only strengthen the diesel-petrol discrepancy argument.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 18:18 (Ref:1828792)   #44
Randy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Henley on Thames
Quote:
The only way Audi can benefit is if the Lola-Audi package shows competitive pace with the Peugeot 908. So I would counter that we will see the out and out pace of this package. If the Lola-Audi package is much slower, then it would only strengthen the diesel-petrol discrepancy argument.

I agree but that seems like a tall order Can't help thinking there is something I'm missing.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1828800)   #45
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I bet Henri Pescarolo is a bit jealous...
Old 29 Jan 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1828809)   #46
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I bet Henri Pescarolo is a bit jealous...
I would think that with so much on the line here that Audi/VAG would have analyzed all the chassis available and chose the one that was best suited to do the job!! I think they want to play cat and mouse with the Pug( win a few lose a few) and kill everything at LeMans with the R-10! I am wondering if there is not some sort of bone tossing with Lola also? Maybe some future coupe work instead of ATR?

L.P.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 18:59 (Ref:1828820)   #47
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
So Audi want to prove the gasoline and diesel regs are equal .........from the power figures released so far I just cant help but think Audi are going to get their fingers burnt, and only prove the complete opposite.........

Peugeot puplically admitted they were gunning for 700bhp, and are implying they have achieved it.......and Henri Pescarolo wrote an open letter to the ACO implying the Audi R10 also had around 700bhp - all based on acelleration figures from the leMans 2006 race.........the last spec of R8 engine to run had in the region of 600 to 630bhp.....someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the R8 power figure

on this basis I just cant see how they are going to prove the two sets of regs are equal.........sorry but I just cant see the R8-Lola package being competitive up against the diesels........all I can see happening is the diesels having their wings well and truly "clipped" to bring them in-line with the gasoline power figures.

please dont get me wrong - great news for sports car racing and I wish them all the best of luck.
The Peugeot has bigger restrictors than the R10 due to it being a coupe and running air con.

The 2002 R8 had over 660bhp, running the same restrictors they run today.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1828838)   #48
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say, like a lot of people I have been taken a back by this one. I think it's a great news.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1828848)   #49
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoa! Page four already!

Certainly didn't see that one coming. Amazing news.

Best chassis out there? Based on what? Has it even won a race in P1 form?

What size restrictors will it be using? Same as the AER? Was the restriction it ran in ALMS just performance balancing or something to do with the FSI technology?

Let the fun begin.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1828895)   #50
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Why would you think this?
Well, Swiss Spirit have the 3 year FSI engine deal. This might be a nice package, but I'm sure if they had had the chance to get their hands on an R10, they would do it (Who wouldn't?). So if they sign a contract for three years, I conclude that Audi made clear that they will not give away R10s for LMS for the next three years. If Audi gave away R10s in 1 or two years, a then proven customer team would surely be a good choice... So if Swiss sign that comparatively long deal, they probably think that this is the best package they can get for this time.

Lots of specualtion on my side, but we can probably agree that the likelyhood of privateer R10s on this side of the pond don't get bigger with this.

Quote:
Well, they could always say, that it's just a privateer effort with an outdatet engine that did never have a real chance...