Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Sep 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1107341)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"New" Drivers Fail To Deliver

In the 2 weeks leading up to the Chinese GP, much was made out of driver changes for Renault, Jordan, and Williams, but all three failed to deliver results that helped there teams cause.

JV - 11th place. He certainly didn't make Flavios decision to sack Trulli look like a good one. Trulli easily could have done as well as this placing. Flavio must be dissapointed in this performance, especially with JV's inability to at least get past Webber.

Glock - 15th place. Nothing to get excited about here either. Glocks ability to block, was the only thing that made you take notice of this drive.

Ralf - DNF. Ralf was running a good race, no doubt, but then came the contact with DC, and the very strange pitstop to fix the flat. Why did Ralf get out of the car, and end his race?

Were these changes much ado about nothing, and will we see more desperate changes for the last 2 GP's?
Old 26 Sep 2004, 14:30 (Ref:1107342)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it looked like ralf's car had some damage ..

Ciao Marco
Old 26 Sep 2004, 14:34 (Ref:1107345)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JV- it was more hype than anything... anyone who expected him to score points after a years of absense was just being delusional... i expected him to struggle in China but he will get a bit better in Japan..

Glock- you cant really rate his performance in the Jordon... outpaced by Heidfeld but you can expect that...

RS- was up for a strong finish until DC hit him... although the team have said that nothing was wrong with his car when he came in.... did a Bahrain again... shouldve stayed out for a lap... silly ending to a strong race... disappointing i admit...
Old 26 Sep 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1107351)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone who sacks a driver mid-season, hires a new one AND expects immediate results is a retard in my book.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1107356)   #5
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Glock drove a solid race today. I was hoping he could have ourperformed Heidlfeld, but I guess it was not fully realistic.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1107358)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm quite sure Flavio expected "immediate" results from JV, as Renault chases second in the constuctors championship, or why bother? Besides, JV is only there for the last 3 races, and for the exact reason to help Renault in there chase.

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Sep 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1107360)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Then Flavio is a retard.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1107361)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very eloquently put!
Old 26 Sep 2004, 15:05 (Ref:1107365)   #9
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Flavio hired JV, and then sabotaged his car to make Alonso look better . I think Trull had to be replaced given the situaton he had with team. Briatore simply took a driver who he thought was the best option and I'm sure he expects him to score some points this season.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 15:08 (Ref:1107368)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The use of the word "retard" is surely not acceptable in polite conversation.

Villeneuve and Glock did as well as could reasonably be expected in the circumstances.

Ralfred showed some good pace until being hit - nothing to worry about in his case.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 15:10 (Ref:1107370)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm with ASCII on the retard thing... though it is perhaps a little impolite...

We shouldn't judge JV on this race. Better to judge him on his performance over three races at the end of the season. He kept reasonable pace, didn't seem to tire towards the end (a potential factor after a year out), but I expect would have wanted a better finish than 11th.

I thought Ralf had an excellent first weekend back. His rear suspension was clearly damaged after contact with DC, so although his retirement looked a little chaotic, that was no fault of his.

Last edited by garcon; 26 Sep 2004 at 15:12.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1107381)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
agree..... anyone who expected JV to outshine Alonso... was just thinking with their heart and not their head...

Ralf- good race... outpaced JPM all weekend... sad ending though...
he came in with a puncture... the mechanics werent ready for him so the time was wasted... after close examination the team found out that there was nothing wrong with the car had and RS could have continued had the team been ready... by time they found this out however too much time had passed and not point of continuing...
Old 26 Sep 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1107394)   #13
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Flavio's strateggy was to get JV and trade-in for Fisi but it did not materialize...
Old 26 Sep 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1107530)   #14
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by 300kph
I think Flavio's strateggy was to get JV and trade-in for Fisi but it did not materialize...
... and it still may be. This is F1, it seems that nothings impossible.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1107545)   #15
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe renault should try trading flav in for someone else.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 18:35 (Ref:1107546)   #16
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good race for Ralf.

He clearly outpaced Juan Montoya and was in a solid position until he had to retire. In a way I'm glad his race was cut short because there was no point in risking extra stress to damaged vertebrae (there's nothing magical about 12 weeks of recovery and physicians do miss problems. I personally didn't think he'd do that well right away.

Moreover...It was a good way to show Toyota they made the right decision.

Go Ralf !!

Old 26 Sep 2004, 18:35 (Ref:1107548)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
well Flav is leaving so they may have traded him...

Nah... i think fisi will be in a Renault... he has been nothing short of brilliant this year and the drive will be fully deserved...
Old 26 Sep 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1107550)   #18
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
Nah... i think fisi will be in a Renault... he has been nothing short of brilliant this year and the drive will be fully deserved...
Good point. IMHO Fisi will give Fernando fits all season long next year unless FA ups the level of his driving.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 01:48 (Ref:1107852)   #19
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
The use of the word "retard" is surely not acceptable in polite conversation.
Absolutely! This is very offensive and wont be tolerated.

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
JV - 11th place. He certainly didn't make Flavios decision to sack Trulli look like a good one. Trulli easily could have done as well as this placing. Flavio must be dissapointed in this performance, especially with JV's inability to at least get past Webber.
I've been critical of JV in other threads, but my critism is more at those suggesting it was a good drive, when it was'nt.

That said, it still does'nt mean a poor decision has been made. If JV is back to form in the next 2 races (and for some reason, I still expect him to be) it will prove the right decision. Trulli need to go (for whatever reason), and JV needs to get points. There is nothing to suggest Trulli would have got points either.

As for Ralf, I was quiet impressed with his pace. Especially over Montoya's. However if he really did bail on a good car, then thats is poor to say the least.

I'll wait for some facts though.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 10:34 (Ref:1108122)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich R
maybe renault should try trading flav in for someone else.
He's leaving at the end of 2005.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1108733)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jacques did a reasonable job unde rthe circumstances. he was only ever half a second off Fernando's pace, and it was only the fact that the midfield was very close, coupled with Fernando making better use of the launch control due to being used to cold tyres on teh first lap, that created a major gap between them.

Ralf was impressive as well. It's a shame he didn't finish, btu there've been plenty of races at Williams where he's been outpaced by JPM but survived for an undeserved good result, so I guess the boot's on the other foot.

Barely noticed Glock - he was adequate but unspectacular.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 21:20 (Ref:1108860)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Jacques did a reasonable job unde rthe circumstances. he was only ever half a second off Fernando's pace, and it was only the fact that the midfield was very close, coupled with Fernando making better use of the launch control due to being used to cold tyres on teh first lap, that created a major gap between them.
His team said he was a second per lap adrift. By his own admission he wasn't ready to go flat out from the off and was taken aback at the fast pace of the race. He was overtaken by a Jaguar and did not manage to claim the place back despite a far superior car and a track that offered ample overtaking opportunities. His main opponent started from the back of the grid but still scored points. His team-mate ran with the leaders and finished a solid fourth.

In his defence the car is very new and, critically, so are the tyres. The lack of Michelin experience meant that the first lap took him by surprise.

But he had the whole of the rest of the race to make at least one pass to save face - there was a Jaguar sitting in front of him for the entire distance.

JV himself would never sum up that race as a reasonable performance.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1108884)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not saying JV did well, but in all fairness he got stuck behind Webber so he looked worse than he was probably capable of. While I think he could have done more to get by what would the team be saying if he had crashed it? He had a good battle with JPM. Before slagging JV, keep in mind how well MS did with the slower cars and what happened to him when passing a Jag.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 09:40 (Ref:1109148)   #24
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Before making that excuse keep in mind how Sato got on from the back of the grid.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 09:50 (Ref:1109154)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

You compare someone who has been racing and testing in that car all season long with someone who just had 2 days of testing, of which one day was used solely to get a comfortable position in the car, and 2 days of practice?

Forget it, i don't want to draw myself into these shenanigans again...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 28 Sep 2004 at 09:52.