Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Dec 2003, 23:06 (Ref:822039)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2004 New Livery Launches

So do we know when any of these new launches are scheduled to take place?

Rusty and SBR had their launch set up for 1/1/03 at 12.01am to announce the new Caltex Havoline/Bosch/Milligans/VIP Pet Foods livery on the #9 car for this season...

...have any of the teams scheduled a launch date for their cars so we can have an idea of who is paying the bills in 2004? And who is driving for these teams as well?

The opportunity exists to make a big thing of this, like they do in F1, to have a proper launch for sponsors and the motorsport trade alike... of the livery and driver lineup especially...

I wonder why they dont
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Dec 2003, 23:29 (Ref:822059)   #2
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: 2004 New Livery Launches

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
So do we know when any of these new launches are scheduled to take place?

Rusty and SBR had their launch set up for 1/1/03 at 12.01am to announce the new Caltex Havoline/Bosch/Milligans/VIP Pet Foods livery on the #9 car for this season...
Seems like they are trying to make a habit of using this time frame for their launches...
Old 29 Dec 2003, 00:50 (Ref:822129)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its something that you would have thought the teams would do more of... a proper presentation to the world.

Moff did one all those years ago in the Peter Styvesant Mazda Rx-7s at the Hilton in Melbourne... and again at his workshops in Toorak when he leased the Sierra from Andy Rouse for Bathurst and Calder...

And Wayne Wakefield with Ryan McLeod presented the Chiko Racers JFR VS at the Centra in Melbourne (just across from Crown) not long before Bathurst that year, with various company reps, media people, and hangers on who were interested (me!) and staying at the hotel...

Sometimes I dont think there is enough inter-relationship between the sponsors and the teams

Can you imagine a release of a new car's livery at a company's sales conference or something, introducing the car, the pitch, the livery, thr driver...

Or is this all so ho-hum now that nobody gives a shyt?
Old 29 Dec 2003, 00:59 (Ref:822132)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

Or is it simply tht the media/marketing guys for each team believe in their own publicity??

Last decent Melbourne based one was OzEmail 2-3 years ago at FOrd HQ on the Hume Highway...
Old 29 Dec 2003, 01:05 (Ref:822136)   #5
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still a bit of sponsorship details and deals to be worked out for a fair few teams to have too many releases yet. Then there is the Melbourne Motor Show that might be the release venue for a few of them.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 01:05 (Ref:822137)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Ozemail was at North Sydney Oval for 2003... its the kind of thing that goes beyond just a sticker on a car...

Maybe they do believe their own publicity, or dont adequately budget for the launch in their expense for the year?
Old 29 Dec 2003, 01:21 (Ref:822148)   #7
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR, i agree they need to take a look at F1. I know most teams do have a bit of a get together with sponsors and a few invited people to 'start' the new season and check out the new paint work, but they need to do it with all bells and whistles, invite the media get it on national tv.
just my opinion

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 29 Dec 2003, 01:22 (Ref:822150)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Better than rocking up to the AGP and noticing changes in liveries and sponsors that were unreported anywhere
Old 29 Dec 2003, 01:51 (Ref:822170)   #9
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Better than rocking up to the AGP and noticing changes in liveries and sponsors that were unreported anywhere
Yup too true, just imagine how much happy the sponsors would be to get some value before the racing starts. How hard is it too set up some laser lights, smoke and throw a sheet over the cars while some sexy girls amuse the guest's?

Ozemail used Steve waugh last year, not a bad idea for publicity, but im sure the marketing machines can do better than that!

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 29 Dec 2003, 12:35 (Ref:822532)   #10
laser
Racer

laser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBR also did their "enduro livery reveal" in Sydney as well. OzEmail/BJR launches have been in Sydney the last few years.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 21:24 (Ref:822826)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

Last year - 2002 was at Ford Broadmeadows. But, either way - about time other started doing similar launches.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 21:58 (Ref:822882)   #12
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about one of the Gold Coast teams booking out one of the theme parks for a launch????

Hmmmm, I can just see it, Marcos & Russell in the "Big Brother" house

Last edited by Gaz170; 29 Dec 2003 at 21:59.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 22:12 (Ref:822907)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Hey thats not such a bad idea... a pity the Dreamworld facility isnt still in Longhurst family hands, they could have launched all manner of teams there
Old 30 Dec 2003, 00:12 (Ref:823044)   #14
dynamik gal
Racer

Netherlands
F1 Melbourne, Australia
dynamik gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure all the teams would love to have proper livery launches as per Formula 1 etc, but it all comes down to a small thing called money.

I'm sure when the time comes, most likely I'd assume mid February for most, after all things for 2004 have been ironed out and into place, that "launches" of livery will take place, but on the grand scale of things i'm sure that they will no doubt be spending their precious pennies elsewhere.

And if a team was to turn up at the AGP with new livery, this would be the best piece of marketing there is, because wouldn't all the lenses be pointed in that direction to see what all the new fuss is about, or even just for a glance at the new look team. Free publicity on national/international media, including tv, is priceless.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 00:15 (Ref:823047)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Ah no not quite. The Betta Electrical signage on the Team Brock cars had no launch at all this year... someone who shall remain nameless was in the right place with the right dustcover missing and noticed it before the team presented its cars to the world.

Thats not exactly conducive to creating column inches in newspapers or trade press... especially when PB was the big signing for this team....

Most teams these days have some kind of sponsorship/contra deal with hotel groups... its not beyond the realms of possibility to have a pukka launch on a surprisingly small outlay....
Old 30 Dec 2003, 00:19 (Ref:823053)   #16
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Team Brock Cars were sign written at the AGP if memory serves me correct. The were seen testing with a yellow skin but had no signage until the sign writters wipped in on the wednesday night of the AGP.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 00:22 (Ref:823056)   #17
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the better (No pun intended) launches was the Briggs Betta Superteam at Bathurst in the Pitlane a few years ago. created a lot of talk amongst the pits, dont know how much coverage (other than front page of the chip wrapper) it got though.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 00:23 (Ref:823059)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So where was the media launch??

A single car costs somewhere around $2m to put on the grid competitively... a $20k launch somewhere isnt a phenomenal proportion of the budget.

This presumes that the team has a plan in their head to get the various car sponsors to network with a view of selling product to each other, and other associated partners... which is the object of the exercise after all.

Imagine having a Ford "Cars And Stars" like they run at Newcastle each year, and to introduce a new sponsorship package to the public, corporate guests and interested hangers on....
Old 30 Dec 2003, 00:33 (Ref:823066)   #19
pete55
Veteran

One of the teams that seems to look after it's sponsors better than most is PLR. They don't seem to have a 'launch' as such though, either that or the motorsport press don't bother covering it.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 00:39 (Ref:823073)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I dont think teams like SHRT and SBR do to badly on looking after sponsors... not in the way PLR do it... but still generate more of the synergistic benefits of sponsors working together...

Surely a sponsor would be happy to enjoy the benefits of the hospitality AND actually get a sniff of the podium on occassion??
Old 30 Dec 2003, 00:52 (Ref:823085)   #21
pete55
Veteran

Those teams you mentioned have large budgets and should be able to look after their sponsors.
Maybe this year PLR will be closer to the pointy end if the supposed deal with FPR comes off.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 00:54 (Ref:823089)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
And if you replace the driver and/or the preparation team
Old 30 Dec 2003, 04:16 (Ref:823215)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember a few years ago the VIP Petfoods/McLean car was launched at a Snap On tools trade show at Sanctuary Cove, that was pretty good. Plus they managed to get on the front cover of AA that morning, which kind of gave the game away a bit
Old 30 Dec 2003, 04:43 (Ref:823226)   #24
pete55
Veteran

That car would still one of the best looking V8 Supercars.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 04:47 (Ref:823229)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely